MI to ME trip, mid July 2017

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mi_pjk

Reaction score
Hello all,

After sneaking days off for SEOR, SINR, and EOM, I have 1 week left of VACA, so daughter #1 and I are thinking to head up into ME during July.

Our basic plan is 550 - 600 miles to Syracuse area on day one, but easier days with maybe day long breaks for the next week. We're loosely planning to hit the east coast from syracuse, then north to ME, probably stopping around / in Bar Harbor, and Presque Isle or Caribou. Then a few days traveling through CA back to MI through the UP.

I'm wondering if there's any 'must see / must ride' routes that I should plan into our schedule. Any good recommendations on accommodations, eateries, sights, etc. Or, if possible, maybe a meet-up / ride with some of you hooligans here on the board. I'll doing research online for good rides, but figured I'd shout out here too.

Daughter's birthday is 7/18, so we're figuring that week is good for our plan. Leave out Saturday July 15 and show back up in North MI Saturday 22, or Sunday 23.

Any heads-up or advice is greatly appreciated.

Acadia NP is good, might check out Mt Battie SP in Camden, the views of Penobsot Bay are amazing. There's a sailing ship called Appledore II that charters 2 to 3 hours out of there the we really had a good time on.

There isn't much to see or do in Presque Isle or Caribou. Fort Kent and Madawaska are more interesting, if you want to see northern ME.

I'd try and spend more time in the Acadia / Bar Harbor area. Be aware that July is the high, high season and accommodations will be hard to find and expensive. But it is worth it, if you ask me. Anywhere along the coast is very scenic, but stay above Portland. South of that can be a bit tacky and over run with Quebecis and city slickers from the south, and it's still expensive.

Sounds like you're going to skip right over the Vermont and New Hampshire mountains. That may be a big mistake. Those areas are just as scenic, in a different way, and not nearly as crowded or expensive as the coast. Even the Rangeley Lakes or Belgrade Lakes (both in western Maine) are scenic and lower key.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^

I agree with Fred on VT and NH. Some of upstate New York too. Many great spots in the Northeast. Have a look at www.newenglandriders.org .

They have identified a lot of great roads, scenic vistas, places to eat and places to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't much to see or do in Presque Isle or Caribou. Fort Kent and Madawaska are more interesting, if you want to see northern ME.
I'd try and spend more time in the Acadia / Bar Harbor area. Be aware that July is the high, high season and accommodations will be hard to find and expensive. But it is worth it, if you ask me. Anywhere along the coast is very scenic, but stay above Portland. South of that can be a bit tacky and over run with Quebecis and city slickers from the south, and it's still expensive.

Sounds like you're going to skip right over the Vermont and New Hampshire mountains. That may be a big mistake. Those areas are just as scenic, in a different way, and not nearly as crowded or expensive as the coast. Even the Rangeley Lakes or Belgrade Lakes (both in western Maine) are scenic and lower key.
Fred, you're killing me with that Portland thing. One traffic jam during a chowda run doesn't have to spoil it all. As a Maine-iac, I'd be remiss to not mention that the upper coastal region is worse on traffic and Acadia scores as one of the highest national spots for visiters>> meaning traffic.

So, pjk, do your research. Fred is right in that VT, NH, ME, PEI, NS, New Brunswick............all great. Looking forward to seeing you.

Nice, looking at the Acadia now, very nice. I was in NH as a youngster, climbed Mt Adams. I forget how grand that area is. I'm thinking to add those areas on the plan, maybe Albany, then up through Green Mtn area, then through White Mtn area, then over into ME. We'll be missing lower ME, but the Mtn area is a definite draw.

All very good points, and thank you much for the inputs. I'll be kicking them around with D1. I'll also be looking at the New England Riders site as well, thanks for that too, Ross.

Holy smokes, just poking around for an hour, and i already have way more rides and destinations than we can fit in =).

Thanks.

Fred, you're killing me with that Portland thing. One traffic jam during a chowda run doesn't have to spoil it all. As a Maine-iac, I'd be remiss to not mention that the upper coastal region is worse on traffic and Acadia scores as one of the highest national spots for visiters>> meaning traffic.

So, pjk, do your research. Fred is right in that VT, NH, ME, PEI, NS, New Brunswick............all great. Looking forward to seeing you.
Ha, funny., Sully I wasn't even thinking of that time. Besides, other than it being smoking hot in the traffic, that wasn't all that bad. Between work and my Mom living there, I've spent a lot of time in Portland. I have nothing against it that I don't hold against any city (too many people, too crowded, too much traffic, etc). As cities go, Portland is a pretty good one.

My point was the coast south of Portland is not nearly as nice as north of it. Either scenery wise or congestion in the summer. Yes, Bah Hahbah is a crowded place in July and August, but nothing compared to down south. Weekdays are better, and if you know where you are going and avoid downtown Bar Harbor you can avoid the tourists for the most part. We used to spend a week or two in July on MDI every summer, though that was a long time ago. I still prefer the place in the off season, but it's worth seeing whenever you can.

Someone else mentioned Upstate NY. I'd agree. Some of the bestest motorcycle roads are through the Adirondacks. Just avoid the towns of Lake Placid, Lake George and Saranac Lake if you want less crowds. Lots of space between the crowds up there.

The ride between Conway,NH and Rangeley, ME is nice(but not on weekends).
I have never found it to be too bad on the weekends other than a bit through Rangeley. There are some sections of the road that are in pretty bad shape but I like the ride and do it at least a couple of times per year.

It depends how you go. I prefer to take the fun route.
(West Side Rd, Hurricane Mt Rd, Evans Notch, Grafton Notch, Rte 26 up to Rte 16 in Errol)
I have, of course, done all of the other roads you mentioned but not the 26 from Bethel up to Errol - usually start out in the Gorham area and take 16 all the way to Rangeley. Will check out Rte. 26 next time, thanks.

Stop and walk around at Corkscrew Falls in Grafton Notch (rte 26) It's kind'a neat, especially when the water is running high. Not sure if the seasonal roads are open yet for this year...

I like Portland ME, lots of brewery's.
tonguesmiley.gif
My sister lived next door in Cape Elizabeth. A lot of great eatery's too.

Dave

I'll be running up that way also! But I'll be about a week behind ya...

I've accumulated a whole list of things to see and roads to ride for that area.

My definites are Lubec, ME and Fort Kent, ME. will probably follow Rt 1 from Portland to Fort Kent.

and then the White Mountains of NH, which will include Mt Washington.

If you are doing Rte.1 between Portland and the other side of Bar Harbor, DON'T do it on a weekend. Very slow due to tourist traffic and a million small towns. You see surprisingly little ocean along Rte.1. You really have to get off and go to the coast - Boothbay and Pemaquid are nice, although touristy. Mt. Desert Island (Bar Harbor) is great; especially Acadia National Park.

I like Portland ME, lots of brewery's.
tonguesmiley.gif
My sister lived next door in Cape Elizabeth. A lot of great eatery's too.
Dave
Hell, look me up the next time visiting family. Right in Willard Square. Easy slow, traffic clogged drive, as I've heard, to grab food on the waterfront in Portland.

Ha, funny., Sully I wasn't even thinking of that time. Besides, other than it being smoking hot in the traffic, that wasn't all that bad. Between work and my Mom living there, I've spent a lot of time in Portland. I have nothing against it that I don't hold against any city (too many people, too crowded, too much traffic, etc). As cities go, Portland is a pretty good one.

My point was the coast south of Portland is not nearly as nice as north of it. Either scenery wise or congestion in the summer. Yes, Bah Hahbah is a crowded place in July and August, but nothing compared to down south. Weekdays are better, and if you know where you are going and avoid downtown Bar Harbor you can avoid the tourists for the most part. We used to spend a week or two in July on MDI every summer, though that was a long time ago. I still prefer the place in the off season, but it's worth seeing whenever you can.

Someone else mentioned Upstate NY. I'd agree. Some of the bestest motorcycle roads are through the Adirondacks. Just avoid the towns of Lake Placid, Lake George and Saranac Lake if you want less crowds. Lots of space between the crowds up there.
Good man!