800 mile rear tire nailed in Maine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullivan

Reaction score
With northern Maine getting another damn dusting of snow and rain, I killed the 280 mile round-trip needed to get the new Comfort seat. Popped in to Woody's where they had some Gaerne boots on sale (score!). After, I shouldn't have visited my jobsite, more specifically, should have parked down the street.

I don't see a nail or screw, but I would put money on the damn job making me buy a PR4GT way ahead of schedule. Local dealer has ordered and I will be back rolling next Tuesday or so.

There is a plus. New bridge design from Heli is already working. No digit numbness at all! Arms are not getting tired. Some increase noise at the helmet, which will be investigated as it is probably due for replacement, at 9 years, plus upgraded windshield.

Hurry up, spring!!

+5 on plug, mechanical challenged guy like me could do it, 5 mins tops. Any one can do it. If the tire has over 50-60% life left u need to give plug a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the title I thought you were aggressive enough to use up a tire in 800 miles. Whew. Anyway, I agree with the folks who say to just plug it and use it up as long as the hole is not in the sidewall.

If its the Yamaha comfort seat good luck. You won't get many more miles than the stock. I have a comfort seat and I only use to get to work and back and for local riding. During the summer it gets hot when sitting in the sun. If you stick with it you may also want to invest in a Alaskan sheepskin cover for added comfort and to keep the Gell from getting over heated.

+1 on just plugging the tire. I ran with a tire plug until I wore the dam tire out. No problems.

Dave

Gotta side with everyone else here. Put a plug in it and save a couple of hundred. If plugs worry you, have them take it off and patch the back side. Still gonna be cheaper.

Is cheaper necessarily the important factor? Less than $200 for a new T30 mounted, balanced, and with a road hazard warranty from Cycle Gear.

I've had plugs both last 5K miles, and spit out in 5 minutes, so no argument from me that a new tire is the best insurance. That said, I can not count the number of times I've had a nail in the rear tire within a thousand miles of new...

Here's another vote for just plugging it. I leave a pretty good wad inside the tire and can't see how it could possibly come out. If one does come out, it may be an indication that the hole was too big to attempt a plug in the first place.

never had sticky string spit out....as already said , leave a big wad in the tire and it will mushroom out inside....

Oh noo.. Time for a new bike?
whistle.gif
Crap! Only 3 weeks old!

Sunday: already had a tire plugging kit in the shop but had no solid confirmation of that as I was buying a sticky string kit from Tractor Supply. Cheap money.

Hole slightly off center, right in a rain channel. Reamed it and plugged it. All good.

Thank you for the replys. No, I don't have any nervousness about running a plug. Run it until it is spent!

I'll keep the PR4 in the garage until needed.

never had sticky string spit out....as already said , leave a big wad in the tire and it will mushroom out inside....
I was taught to push it through and turn it one full turn before pulling the tool back out. That leaves a pretty good wad inside. It may not be necessary really, but I've never had one fail.