Front Royal, VA to Deals Gap, May 6-13

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTP07

Reaction score
Hey all, heading from Front Royal, VA down the Skyline Drive through Shenandoah NP to Waynesboro on the 6th. Then heading out the morning of the 7th down the BR Parkway to Cherokee, NC.

From there heading to the dragon to ride the local roads for a few days.

If anyone is going to be in the area at the time, let me know and we can meet up and do some riding.

Cheers,

Randy.

Hi, Randy. I'm at Harrisonburg, just west of Skyline drive on Rt. 33. Not sure what my weekend will be like. But depending on your trip time and agenda you may want to consider the races at Virginia International Raceway May 12-14. It wouldn't be too "out of the way." I always have fun there and you can camp at the track.

Check it out. https://virnow.com/events/motoamerica/

Weekend schedule: https://www.motoamerica.com/sites/motoamerica.com/files/attachments/2017/04/2017_motoamerica_-_vir_event_schedule_0.pdf?loc=txfe&lnk=event-schedule

-Glen

Thanks Glen & JJ. I will definitely reach out if I am in need. Probably not me, but my riding partner is on a StreetBob, so, you know...he'll need help at some point. LOL. I don't think we wil have time for the races, we both need to be home on mother's day or or all of our $h!t will be on the lawn. :)

I am looking forward to some twisty elevation changes. Not much of that here in SW Onterrible.

I have heard that fuel is scarce on the BRP and Skyline...need to get off and into town to fuel up?

Cheers,

Randy

There is virtually NO gas ON SLD or BRP.

You need to get off to find services.

To relieve the anxiety, stop at the visitors' center

and pick up a BRP guide. It lists services by

mile marker allowing you to plan gas stops

so you don't have to worry ( much ) about

running out of gas.

Hey all, heading from Front Royal, VA down the Skyline Drive through Shenandoah NP to Waynesboro on the 6th. Then heading out the morning of the 7th down the BR Parkway to Cherokee, NC.
From there heading to the dragon to ride the local roads for a few days.

If anyone is going to be in the area at the time, let me know and we can meet up and do some riding.

Cheers,

Randy.
I understand your plan. But having recently done something similar I would encourage you to skip the approximate day of riding on Skyline and substitute it with more time for forays off of the Blue ridge parkway, or other spur roads off of the parkway. Skyline is nice enough, but compared to the far more elevated views along the parkway, skyline will fade from your memory as soon as you see the latter.

Instead, assuming you are of relatively sound body and mind, maybe plan a day of hiking or other activity along the BRP. There are music venues, crafty things that may entertain your pillion, lots of history and things to see and do.

And then, leave it all behind and explore. Get into the towns that are nearby but off of the "tourist trek". Wander, reconnoiter, and find your own adventure. It wont always work out. Often you'll say, why the heck did I do that. But every once in a while you'll stumble on something that isn't called out on the maps that puts everything else to shame.

It was like that for us last fall when we took a squiggly line on the map off the parkway, back north from Asheville to EOM in VA, and discovered the most delicious set of paved first gear switchbacks (I shit you not) on the back side of a dirt road climb up to a ridge summit. PM me if you want the actual route.

Good rides JUST happen, and its really hard to plan the best ones in advance. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

I live here and I'd skip Skyline Drive. Nice views, but the speed limit is so slow you'll celebrate at least one birthday before reaching the point to get off of it. I'll drive past it to get into the western part of the state, where the riding is fantastic. Nothing wrong with Skyline Drive if you're just killing time and looking at scenic views, but it's not that much fun to ride, in my opinion.

Sadly, this trip is postponed for a bit due to my ailing back. (Getting old sucks!). Hopefully a bit later this year we can get it done.

Thanks to all for their input though! We will definitely be modifying the route we take!

Cheers,

RB.