Split: Dust Seals or Bushing to Change Fork Oil?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBach

Reaction score
As an aside, do I need to buy dust seals or bushings or anything to change the fork oil?

Last edited by a moderator:
That clears things up a little. As an aside, do I need to buy dust seals or bushings or anything to change the fork oil?
Nope. Remove fork, pull off the top cap and remove the spring. Dump oil out. Flush with whatever you want to use. I generally use cheap Walmart brand ATF. Drain again, then fill to the appropriate level with your new suspension oil. Level is measured with the springs out and the inner fork leg pushed all the way down.

And what do the numbers mean beside some oil ex., Maxima 125/150?
No idea except that is what they put on the bottle. I guess it is their "model" number?

CFOIL_-_small.jpg

"Need" anything else?

No, unless it's leaking or long in the tooth, mileage-wise.

The bushings will show their age if you remove them and look--the Teflon wears through to the bronze itself after enough miles. They are considered a wear item.

And, if you take a look at the bushings, the seals come out, so replacing them is good practice.

If it were me, I'd just do the whole job, unless you just want to experiment with different oils or something.

Dust seals last nearly forever, so unless they are torn...or the rebuild kit includes them...

All the best,

Shane