Gen 1 Aux Tank install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasgif

Reaction score
I realize Gen1 info is getting kind of "old" anymore, but since there are still a number of us out there I thought I'd share my recent aux tank install. I wanted to mount it to the rear seat for easy on-off swapping. I couldn't find any similar posts / photos online anywhere when I was planning my build.

A 5 gal. tank from TourTank, a spare rear seat and some aluminum bits from Lowes later and here's what I came up with:

I need to fix up my upholstery a bit, my temporary electrical tape solution isn't going to last. All in all I like it. Not sure I'd pass IBR tech inspection for "hard" mounting, but it seems rigid enough for my needs.

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

Interesting…

I have a rear seat left over from my parting out of my '05 and I was thinking of experimenting with this same Aux. Tank build.

Curious as to the mounting (?) Is it a mounting to the seat or through the seat? I believe the tank would be a No-Go for the IBR

for at least 2 reasons: The mount (If it is a seat mount only) and the size (5 Gal. would put the fuel capacity over the Max.) But

like you said it is a great solution for a quick On/Off Aux. fuel cell for personal use. I really like it!

Could you post up and go into a little more detail about how the tank is secured to the seat? Looks like 4 cylinder tubes with

bolts (?) Did you use a backing plate on the bottom of the seat? Or just washers? Looks like a back pad could be mounted to the

cell with industrial strength velcro also. Very cool !

It's obvious you've put some thought and time into your aux tank - if you like it, it's all good!

I noticed what looks like vents in your windshield. Did you add them or did the shield come that way?

Also is it gravity fed or do you use a pump? I am thinking gravity fed since it is sitting a few inches higher above the seat.

Nice job and nice 05 Feejer too,

Dave

I have a rear seat left over from my parting out of my '05 and I was thinking of experimenting with this same Aux. Tank build.Curious as to the mounting (?) Is it a mounting to the seat or through the seat? I believe the tank would be a No-Go for the IBR

for at least 2 reasons: The mount (If it is a seat mount only) and the size (5 Gal. would put the fuel capacity over the Max.) But

like you said it is a great solution for a quick On/Off Aux. fuel cell for personal use. I really like it!

Could you post up and go into a little more detail about how the tank is secured to the seat? Looks like 4 cylinder tubes with

bolts (?) Did you use a backing plate on the bottom of the seat? Or just washers? Looks like a back pad could be mounted to the

Actual tank capacity is ~4.7gal. I was able to squeeze 4.5gal. in at the last fillup and that was up to the filler neck (which doesn't extend far down into the tank).

The tank is mounted to the seat. Unfortunately I wasn't taking photos until after I had recovered the seat. The basic support structure is:

- Aluminum U-channel (made for edging 3/4" plywood) top and bottom

- 3/4" diameter hollow aluminum tubes with 5/16" stainless steel washers recessed into top and bottom to keep them centered (step-bit made the recesses)

- 5/16" all thread / nuts / washers clamp it all together. The tank & support structure were all bolted together and then the assembly was bolted to the seat with three 5/16" bolts. Currently only supported by washers - although after the first week of riding with the tank full I think it will need a backer bar in lieu of just washers.

I'll be taking the covering back off this week to fix my temporary upholstery; I'll take some "naked" pictures then.

I noticed what looks like vents in your windshield. Did you add them or did the shield come that way?
The vents were added by the shield's previous owner. The sheild is a CeeBailey's ~20" tall / +2 screen. I believe the vents are from a Goldwing (?) Can't really tell if they do much - haven't noticed any major differences between this shield and my old one without them.

Also is it gravity fed or do you use a pump? I am thinking gravity fed since it is sitting a few inches higher above the seat.
Nice job and nice 05 Feejer too,

Dave
Tank is gravity fed. 5/16" tubing. I placed it a little higher than I needed to hoping to capitalize on the extra head pressure. So far it seems to work great. It takes ~5min per bar to drain from aux to main.

Thanks. My '05 is just crossing 50k so she's got a lot of life left in her. Unfortunately I only have enough free time to add about 10k per year.

Just a quick photo of the tank to seat mounting for those interested. You can also see how I ran the hose through a grommet I installed in upper right corner of the photo.

You can checkout the full album on here.

Just a couple quick pictures then I promise to quit flaming my own thread.

Finally got around to taking a "naked" picture. I've loaded some other interesting photos of the piece-parts to the photobucket album too.

]