Something for airplane geeks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morecowbell

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure there are a few pilot and aircraft mechanic/builder types on the forum, and they might find my latest project amusing or interesting.

I've been flying since late '84, and airplane ownership has always been a dream of mine. Being just a regular working guy, for all these years I haven't been able to justify or afford the actual purchase of an airplane. And now, I could afford maybe a small single-engine Cessna or Piper...but living in the desert, anything I bought would need to be hangared. Available hangars in this area are hard to find and the monthly rental rates are about the same as my mortgage payment. That's just not going to happen. So my hobby for the past 20 years has been motorcycles, and three of them keep me quite busy with riding and maintenance.

My brother lives in the Houston area and is quite into general aviation, having built his own Vans RV-8. He's also involved in the local Commemorative Air Force wing, where he's the Operations Officer and flies the PT-19 Cornell, T-6 Texan, C-60A Lodestar, and the B-17G Flying Fortress. Outside of the Wing, he's a part owner of a North American T-28A Trojan. It's a cool old airplane, and I've been up in it a few times. It's a bit underpowered with only 800hp to propel 6800 pounds gross weight. He and the other partners have been throwing around the idea of selling the A model and acquiring a big-engine B/C/D model, which has 1425hp to propel 8600 pounds gross weight. It's a significant increase in performance. Also, one of the other partners was a bit of a problem child, and he wasn't going to be invited to participate in the upgrade. They needed a replacement partner to help fund the "new" plane. I raised my hand and said "pick me, pick me!" My brother asked if I was serious or insane...but I had done some math and figured it was do-able. Owning an old warbird is WAY, WAY out of my price range, but when you split the costs among five partners, the cost drops considerably. When I tried to sell my wife on the whole idea, however, she wasn't impressed. She actually said no...I'm already away from home too much with work and motorcycle road trips. If I got in on this deal, she was afraid I'd be gone even more. So I begged and pleaded, and compromises were made. Instead of two week moto tours every spring and fall, I'll just do a fall tour. I can still do shorter rides scattered throughout the year, but no two week spring ride. And I have to take her somewhere for a week or two every July or August just to get away from the oppressive desert heat. Done...she gave me her blessing. I think she should qualify for sainthood.

So we looked around and found a suitable beast:

It's a T-28F Fennec. It started life as a T-28A Trojan, USAF #51-7632, rolling off the production line in 1951. After service with the USAF, it spent some time in storage at the boneyard in Tucson AZ. Meanwhile, in the late '50s, France was involved in a colonial war in Algeria. The French Air Force needed an airplane in a counter-insurgency role, providing air support for French troops on the ground fighting the Algerian resistance. The FAF wanted to purchase big-engine T-28Bs from North American, but the production line was tied up with a large order for the US Navy. The FAF then learned of a company called Pacific Airmotive, which owned the rights to convert T-28As to T-28B configuration, replacing the 800hp Wright R-1300 with the 1425hp Wright R-1820-86B engine, along with various structural modifications. The FAF purchased 148 surplus T-28As out of the boneyard and contracted with Pacific Airmotive to build two prototype conversions. The FAF replaced the Trojan name with Fennec, a small Algerian desert fox. The remaining airframes were shipped to Sud Aviation in St. Nazaire France in 1959. 51-7632 was the first production Fennec to roll off the Sud conversion line.

The airplanes entered combat in late 1960, based in Batna, northern Algeria. Combat operations were short lived, however, and by the end of 1962, the FAF halted further operations and most of the Fennecs returned to France. A total of 23 T-28Fs were lost to accidents or in combat. 51-7632 and 24 others ended up with the Royal Moroccan Air Force in 1965. The RMAF used the T-28s to patrol the troubled border between Morocco and Algeria, occasionally seeing combat during flare-ups along the border. After retirement by the RMAF, 51-7632 and several other Fennecs were sold to the Honduran Air Force. The airplanes weren't shipped by sea, however. They were flown from Morocco to Honduras across the North Atlantic. The guys that flew those old planes across the Atlantic had Big. Brass. Balls. Check out this story of two other Fennecs (not 7632) being ferried across...great story with a lot of great photos: https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&p=786632 How they navigated at low-level across the water in the days before GPS is beyond me. 51-7632 arrived in Honduras in 1978. I really haven't been able to find what Honduras used the T-28s for, but in 1986, the aircraft was shipped back to the United States. It was reassembled/overhauled and given a desert camouflage paint scheme. The paint job isn't quite authentic for Fennecs in service in Algeria. During their time in combat, the Fennecs were bare metal with a black anti-glare panel painted on the nose. The airplane then traded hands between several owners around the US, and in 2000 it ended up with an owner based in Ramona CA, northeast of San Diego. He last flew it in 2011 before he lost his medical certificate and couldn't fly anymore. He passed away in 2012 and the airplane just sat in a hangar at Ramona collecting dust. Finally, the owner's widow decided that it needed to be sold so someone else could fly and enjoy it.

My brother and I looked at it back in October. It was towed out of the hangar and John started it up. It hadn't flown since 2011 and there was no telling when the last engine run occurred. It needs a lot of work (and $$) to be made airworthy again, but overall it appeared to be a sound airframe. The engine? Well, R-1820s don't like to sit for long periods of time, but hopefully an inspection would turn up no serious issues. Fast forward to January, and the widow called John. She'd had several phone calls about it, mostly tire-kickers. Only one other potential buyer actually came out to look at the plane. The offer he made was a serious lowball. She asked John for a reasonable counter-offer. A deal was made, money was sent as a deposit, and the rest of the partners contributed our funds to an escrow account. In mid-February, the escrow company transferred the funds and I suddenly owned 20% of a T-28. Very strange, but very cool. Actually, I guess I own 20% of the LLC that the plane is now registered to.

Hooking up external power to start the engine:

It's got a really nice cockpit for an old warbird, with 1986 state-of-the-art King avionics. It has a 1997 vintage Garmin GPS mounted on top of the glareshield. The Argus 5000 moving map display is no longer supported and will make a nice paperweight on a desk somewhere.

It's been in the shop since mid-February, and we really have no idea when it'll be finished. The guy working on it really knows his stuff, but he's not attacking the problems with as much gusto as we would prefer. The squawk list is pretty long...the prop has to come off for a corrosion inspection/overhaul ($3800), the carburetor needs to be pulled and overhauled ($5600!), new battery and battery conversion kit ($1300), new hoses firewall-forward, oil filter kit installation ($1500), gear struts resealed and pumped up, brake lines replaced, nose gear fork xray/crack inspection, crew oxygen and canopy nitrogen bottles pulled and inspected, fire bottles inspected, and several other smaller items. When it's finished, I'll ride in the back seat while John circles Ramona for a few hours with occasional stops to check the engine oil screens to make sure the engine isn't making metal. If all that goes well, there will be another oil change (8.8 GALLONS of oil, or 35.2 quarts...and it burns 45-50 gallons of avgas per hour, depending on how hard you run it. It ain't cheap to operate), and we'll fly the airplane back to Houston. Then I have to figure out how to get checked out in it. Since it's over 800hp, I'll need a checkride with an FAA designated examiner for the equivalent of a type-rating.

It'll be based in Houston, and I live in California. This is the biggest downside to the whole thing. I'll only get to fly it a few times per year, and that will be around the Houston area and maybe some local airports with a café on the field. If John and I split the flying/expenses, we can take it to Oshkosh. I figure I'll need at least two, preferably three days off each time I head over to fly it. If John is out on a trip, I'll need Uber/car rental to get to the hangar, and a hotel room nearby. That shit adds up quickly! There's absolutely no way to justify the cost vs how much I'll fly it...but, but, it's a T-28!! There's absolutely no other way for me to get into a warbird cockpit where I live, so this is absolutely worth it to me. Like I said before, it's been a dream since I was a little kid.

Thanks Kristi!

Oh Baby! That's sweet!!

You need to quit looking at the complicated part of this deal - once you finally get it in the air and start burning Av-gas those thoughts will disappear. I'll be looking for you at Oshkosh ---

Wow, what a great tale to tell. Always like the T-28s. Having owned a Cherokee in the past, prior to having kids, I can only imagine the financial load you'll be carrying. Even with 5 partners, it adds up fast. Have you figured out your cost per flight hour yet? Look forward to some stories of your flights, so I can live vicariously thru you.

And you definitely have to fly it to Oshkosh!

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped and looked at a parked B-17 on display along Hwy 99, it was a shame what the birds had done to that fine aircraft, I understand the owl. Nice write up with pictures and perhaps you could tell the wife she can have a ride in it anytime she wants but I doubt that would help.

What a great report, thanks for sharing! You can't cost-justify this sort of adventure, so don't even try. The value of the experience is priceless.

Please report back with progress on getting checked out and plans for Oshkosh. I got my license in the late 70s and have been on the outside looking in for a decade or so. At 67, the medical reform is promising to me. Maybe I'll inch closer...

Dan

Great read and how fun! Good for you.. take some pix while airborne too and share with us?

Very cool
specool.gif

Earned my Commercial ASEL and Instrument rating in '67, had a ride in a CAP Trojan at Moses Lake, WA (the old muni airport) and have wanted to fly one ever since. Sadly never happened with work, marriage, buying a house, a daughter. Still dream of flying and am still glad I didn't stick with a military aviation career. Looking forward to more reports.

I got my private back in '93 out of Carlsbad airport north of San Diego. I flew for a number of years (Cessna 172 rentals) until mortgage and kid's college required more monetary attention. Haven't piloted myself in maybe ten years. Last spring I flew to San Diego and flew in the Collings Foundation's B17 with a couple of friends. There is nothing like the sound of round engine power!! Except maybe the sound of a RR Merlin at full song, but that's another story.
smile.png

I always wonder what it's like for the crews of these warbirds who fly them around the country from airshow to airshow. Long hours, hot and sweaty to freezing cold, hotel food...but then there's the time spent committing aviation in these beautiful pieces of history! I applaud all who keep them flying, whether that be mechanical assistance, ground and flight crew and even those who simply write the checks and let others do the heavy lifting. Thank you for doing your part to "keep 'em flying" and enjoy the hell out of the added bonus of actually doing some of that flying yourself!

Oh, and a big thank you to your wife for putting up with your addiction!!
winksmiley02.gif

Tech question:

In the third photo, what are the open doors on the lower fuselage just aft of the wing trailing edge for?

Dan

I'll be looking for you at Oshkosh ---
I'm hoping we can get it to Oshkosh 2017, if the guy ever gets the inspection done. John will be typed by then, but I have no idea if I'll be checked out or not. It should be easy to spot this one on the T-28 lineup because of its odd paint job. Most have US Navy/Marine training schemes, or some type of USAF scheme; this one looks like a tan dairy cow.
John flew the A model to Oshkosh 2014 with one of the partners, and I went out with him for a dawn patrol over Wisconsin. We joined up with a friend flying an RV-6, and he was able to get some good shots:

I'm in the back seat of course, wearing my Yamaha hat:

Have you figured out your cost per flight hour yet? Look forward to some stories of your flights, so I can live vicariously thru you.
There's a monthly fee of $110 for each partner and that covers the hangar rent. There's also a $110/hour charge for the maintenance fund. Fuel is the big variable. If I can get fuel at Taylor or Georgetown TX for around $3.55/gallon, at 50 gallons/hr, I'm looking at $288 per flight hour. If I buy fuel at the aircraft's base of West Houston (IWS), it's $4.91/gallon...that brings the cost up to $355 per flight hour. Needless to say, whenever I fly it...I'll buy as much fuel as I can where it's cheaper and then buy just a few gallons at IWS to top it off.

I stopped and looked at a parked B-17 on display along Hwy 99, it was a shame what the birds had done to that fine aircraft, I understand the owl. Nice write up with pictures and perhaps you could tell the wife she can have a ride in it anytime she wants but I doubt that would help.
That's no joke...birds and rodents can absolutely destroy an airplane. They chew on things and crap all over the place. I don't know about rodent dung, but bird guano is highly corrosive to aluminum. The owl is hopefully a deterrent to any birds that want to check out the cockpit for nesting purposes.
I hope to take the wife for a ride, but she'll have to make a trip to Houston for that. I'm hoping to save a bunch of coin and bring it out west in the future to give rides to the peeps I know out here...especially my father-in-law. He's in his early 80s and flew T-28As in the Air Force in the late '50s. He might have flown this same airplane before it went to France. He hasn't checked his logbook yet. He was like a little kid when he looked at the plane in the hangar a couple of months ago. I had to help him up onto the wing, and he sat in the cockpit for a good 45 minutes telling me stories about his days as a cadet.

Last spring I flew to San Diego and flew in the Collings Foundation's B17 with a couple of friends. There is nothing like the sound of round engine power!! Except maybe the sound of a RR Merlin at full song, but that's another story.
smile.png

I always wonder what it's like for the crews of these warbirds who fly them around the country from airshow to airshow. Long hours, hot and sweaty to freezing cold, hotel food...but then there's the time spent committing aviation in these beautiful pieces of history! I applaud all who keep them flying, whether that be mechanical assistance, ground and flight crew and even those who simply write the checks and let others do the heavy lifting. Thank you for doing your part to "keep 'em flying" and enjoy the hell out of the added bonus of actually doing some of that flying yourself!

Oh, and a big thank you to your wife for putting up with your addiction!!
winksmiley02.gif
It's fantastic to see the various bombers and trainers that tour the country selling rides and static tours. It's a great way to get younger people to learn about the history of what these machines did and about the crews that flew them. And the older veterans, of course...they appreciate one more chance to see their old crew position and relive an earlier time. When my brother was crewing the B-17 Texas Raiders, he help one elderly gentleman, a WWII B-17 bombardier, into the nose compartment to see his old seat and the Norden bombsight. The man had tears in his eyes and he was just so happy to sit up in that plexiglass nose once more. If I ever have the T-28 parked somewhere and anyone wants to sit in it, especially a veteran...by all means, please climb up and check it out!
There are currently a few bombers out on tour right now. The Collings Foundation B-17, B-24, and B-25 are touring California this month. The Liberty Foundation is touring with the B-17 Madras Maiden. It's actually in Palm Springs this weekend, and I'll be going up for a ride in it tomorrow. My brother and I got a ride in that plane back in 1984 when it was based in Texas and was named "Chuckie". When I reserved my spot for tomorrow, I told the guy on the phone about that and he set me up with a seat in the cockpit. Score! When the bombers are on tour, there are some guys that are retired and stay with the plane for the entire length of the tour. Some guys still have jobs and they cycle in and out, catching up whenever their days off allow. When my brother crewed Texas Raiders for a trip to Sun-n-Fun, he was with the plane for 7 days. He says it's a lot of work, but it's also a shitload of fun. Here he is in the left seat...lucky bastard:

Tech question:
In the third photo, what are the open doors on the lower fuselage just aft of the wing trailing edge for?

Dan
That's a hatch to allow access to the aft equipment bay. Just forward of the hatch is a rather decent-sized baggage compartment. Above the hatch are some avionics racks and the canopy nitrogen bottle. Behind the hatch are the crew oxygen bottles and battery. All around the compartment you'll find a lot of control cable runs and hydraulic lines. The hatch is good in that it allows access to the guts of the plane, but it also has a downside. The airframe is pretty beefy, but the design of the access hatch precludes the use of a keel beam along the bottom, which would add considerably to the structural strength. The hatch is also cut fairly high into the sides of the fuselage, reducing the amount of solid stringers that would add rigidity. The airplane is limited to 6 Gs on a straight pullout in smooth air, but rolling pullouts are limited to about 4 Gs due to the torsional loads on the aft fuselage. Snap rolls are prohibited, of course. That's okay...I didn't want to do any snap rolls anyway.

I'm patiently waiting for the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum in Reading, PA to get its P-61 flying. Its been a long road and they're getting close, relatively. My dad flew in the back of P-61s in the Pacific. I would love to see one fly. I've seen three of the four still in existence and the others are all static displays.

I almost forgot that I started this thread around two years ago. Time to bring it back from the dead for an update.

In the original post I made the comment that our mechanic wasn't attacking the project with as much "gusto" as we would have preferred. Boy, was that ever an understatement. There are glaciers that move faster than that guy. He does incredibly high-quality and detailed work, but at least he's also incredibly slow while doing it. He would talk and talk and talk about everything he wanted to do for the inspection, but very little actually got done. In all fairness, we just dumped our project on his lap with not much advance planning.

For a brief period, the T-28 sat at the front of his hangar while a lot of disassembly work was done.

Shortly after those pics were taken, a T-28B showed up at the hangar for some work which was already on the mechanics schedule. Our airplane got turned around to face the back wall of the hangar as if it had been naughty and was now in a time-out.

And there it sat for about a year. I would go visit every now and then to check on progress, but it was really disappointing. The B model got worked on most of the time, and every now and then ours would get a little attention. A couple of times my brother and I went down to help with some disassembly work. We pulled the seats and cockpit side panels out, pulled out the brake lines and master cylinders, helped disassemble the main gear struts, etc. Some of the work was easy and fun, and some was an awkward pain in the...back.

That was some nasty hydraulic fluid that came out of the main struts when we dropped them.

It was really educational to work on the various systems and see how things were put together. You can pull out the cockpit floor/firewall panel and see down into the nosewheel well and into the back of the engine accessory section. Here John is standing up in the wheel well and you can see the bottom of the oil tank and the generator and two magnetos.

There are a LOT of components between the wing center section and cockpit floor overhead, and not a lot of room to work. Good luck trying to trace all that hydraulic plumbing!

Finally, a YEAR after the B model arrived, it was finished and ready to leave the hangar. Us five partners were getting pretty frustrated at the lack of progress...even a few of the wives were getting upset. Not mine though...she's awesome and patient and never complained about how long the project was taking. The mechanic said that with the B model being gone, he could concentrate 100% of his efforts on our airplane and get it out the door. He told big stories of all the other customers he had lined up waiting to get into the shop, but he had them on hold until our project was completed. John had a "come to Jesus" talk with the guy, saying we needed a completion date. They agreed on being ready to run the engine by mid-September. Three months later (8/30/18), I stopped by for a progress check. In those three months, he had closed up the tail panels, re-wired the tail nav-light, installed the fuel boost pump, and he was working on the canopy nitrogen bottle plumbing. That's IT. Oh, and he had also repainted the brake master cylinder housings that we had removed EIGHT MONTHS earlier. The gear struts were in place even though he hadn't completed their rebuild...he put them in just to move the plane around the hangar to get some roof work done. Why not rebuild the struts while they were out and the plane wouldn't have to go up on jacks again? Nothing the guy did made any sense. There was no way the he would EVER have it ready to run in the next 2-3 weeks as promised.

We had finally reached the limit of our patience. The partners agreed that we needed to fire the guy and find another mechanic to finish the project. A guy was located up in Chino at a warbird shop that could help us out. He was working as project manager on a Lockheed Constellation restoration during the week, and he could work on our T-28 on Sundays. John and I went to Ramona and told the original mechanic the bad news, and we "repossessed" our airplane. We had already found some hangar space and spent two days getting the plane and parts moved. I met the new guy and immediately knew we had made a good choice.

On the initial survey visit with the new mechanic, Pete, he took the brake master cylinder and speed brake cylinder components with him for reassembly. On the first actual work day, it was no-nonsense. Just a couple minutes of chatting and then we got busy. The overhauled prop governor was installed, followed by the overhauled propeller itself. It already started to look more like an airplane.

We then got the overhauled carburetor mounted and Pete started hooking up the control cables and rods. His helper and I started installing the brake cylinders and running the new brake lines in the cockpit. We accomplished more in one day than the previous guy could do in several months!

Over then next several Sundays, a LOT of work was done. The exhaust stacks were reinstalled, oil filter kit mounted...

The nose strut was rebuilt and reinstalled along with a new nose tire that John and I had mounted...

A lot of fuel and oil hoses were replaced behind the engine, and the main struts were finally rebuilt; new brake lines were installed from the wing down to the calipers...

I installed the speed brake cylinders and new hoses while Pete did the valve clearance inspection on the engine and re-installed the valve covers, and John finished the cockpit brake lines...

I spent a day working solo with a grease gun and a can of spray lube hitting every grease fitting, pulley, and pivot point I could find. There are a LOT of zerks on that thing! The rebuilt brake calipers were installed and the lines fitted. With all the hydraulic lines hooked up and tightened, we started filling the system with 5606 fluid. Then came the big job of bleeding the brakes. The FJR brakes are a walk in the park compared to this beast. With Pete at the calipers, I jumped from the front seat to back seat multiple times pumping the brakes while Pete got the air bubbles out down below. Once the system was thoroughly bled, it was time to swing the landing gear and exercise the speed brake. That was a big moment to see the systems coming back to life...

While Pete did more engine work, I reinstalled the cockpit interior panels; it took both of us to get the seats bolted back into place. And the struts were holding the nitrogen!

After installing 18 new spark plugs and replacing all of the ignition wire conduit, it was time to pull the ship out and try adding fuel. If there were no leaks, we would have tried running the engine later that afternoon.

Sadly, we found a large fuel leak on the left inboard bladder. Luckily we had only pumped 20 gallons on board when we found the leak. We had to drain the fuel into buckets, roll the ship back into the hangar, and start pulling the bladder out. The fuel quantity sending units get removed on top, and the bladder is pulled out from an access panel down below. That was a 13 hour day at the hangar.

The bladder had French stencils on it with a 1962 production date. That thing was installed back when the airplane was converted in 1962! It's no surprise it leaked, given its age. I drove that bladder to a repair shop in Whittier, where we learned that it was repairable. That was good news! Given the age of that bladder, we decided to pull the remaining three bladders and send them to the shop as well. If one had leaked, it was only a matter of time before the others would fail as well. It's a good thing we did...one outboard bladder was beyond repair and we had a new one fabricated. While the bladders were at the shop getting reworked, the fuel bays had to be cleaned and re-taped. Every rivet and seam has to be taped to avoid rubbing on the bladders on causing leaks. The old tape was pretty nasty looking.

John tackled the left wing bays and I got the right. It was a nasty, time consuming job. The old tape had to be pulled out and then the adhesive cleaned off with acetone...while working with limited access through the inspection panels. The one hole at the bottom allowed the head and arm into the bay, but the two smaller outer holes had to be done be feel. Not cool.

And then the new tape went in...again, in the tighter areas by feel. It took two full days to get all four bays done.

The fuel bladder work took a total of two months. That was really frustrating, but if we had left the project with the original mechanic, it would have been an additional six months or more. Finally, in early February, we had all four bladders back from the shop. It was one full day per wing to get the bladders installed, and then another full day to get all of the plumbing hooked up. It really was a LOT of work. One all that was done, we actually got the engine cowlings attached. Now it was REALLY starting to look like an airplane again.

On Feb 16th, we pulled the ship out and called the fuel truck. We started adding fuel with our fingers crossed, hoping for no leaks. After pumping 165 gallons, we found a small leak on the right wing that was traced to a loose fitting. We had to offload 140 gallons to access the fitting and tighten some bolts. That cost several hours of work. We dumped the fuel back into the tanks and found no leaks. What a relief! After all that, it was time to pull the ship further out on the ramp and try starting the engine. With fire bottles ready to go, John climbed in...after cranking about 10 blades, the engine fired right up. It was so cool to see and hear! Two years and one day after buying the ship, she finally ran again.

He ran the engine for a bit while exercising the flaps, speed brake, and canopy; slowly getting the last few air bubbles out of the hyd system. He shut the engine down and Pete pulled the engine oil screen to check for metal. Everything looked great, no metal chunks or flakes. We ran the engine two more times, bumping the RPM up a bit each time. Oil screen checks still looked great. At sunset we pushed her back into the hangar and started closing up all of the fuel tank inspection panels. We left them open to keep checking for leaks during/after the engine runs. Pete and John did all of the safety wiring, and I just turned the screwdriver on the panels. I also had the fun job of installing the firewall/floor panel and nose wheelwell curtain, and the cargo area bag.

The following day we pulled her out of the hangar and John taxied out to the run-up pad for a power check. Another screen check looked great, and Pete signed off the Condition Inspection in the aircraft logbooks, meaning that she was now legal to fly. The only thing left to do was for John to get the flight gear on and strap in.

I'll be honest...man, I was nervous watching John line up on the runway and pour the coals to it. This thing hadn't flown in over eight years! He released the brakes and started rolling. That engine sounded great! He was airborne after a short run and sucked the gear up. He left takeoff power set until turning downwind. Any engine issues usually follow that initial power reduction. That thing was thundering in the valley around Ramona. I shook Pete's hand and thanked him for all of his hard work. He told me to shut up and enjoy the sound of that engine. John flew a figure-8 pattern overhead for about 20 minutes and then came in for a pretty good landing. He hadn't flown a T-28 in two years, so he had to feel for it a bit. Man, was I relieved when he was rolling out. I called his wife immediately to let her know he had landed safely.

Of course after that was another oil screen check. Everything looked great, and it was surprising how clean the engine was running. Usually radial engines drip a big puddle of oil wherever they park, and there's usually some blown back on the fuselage. The T-28A the guys used to own was a messy beast. It leaked everywhere. After every flight you'd have to wipe down the nose gear, nose gear doors, and even the main gear doors further back on the belly. This thing was almost completely dry! Just a slight drip on the nose gear door, and a few drips from the breather tube back under the tail. A bit later John fired up for a second test flight, this time remaining overhead for about 40 minutes. Crappy weather was moving in, so he landed as the rain approached the field. We got pretty wet pushing the ship back into the hangar. Another oil screen check looked really good. That was all the time we had for that weekend, being a Sunday afternoon. Pete had to get back to Chino and John and I headed for Palm Springs. The only real squawk for the two flights was the altitude encoder on the transponder. I made a trip to Ramona a few days later to meet the avionics guy and get that issue squared away.

I guess that's enough typing for now. Later today I'll try to post more pics for the ferry flight to its new home in Texas.

Great story and great pics!! Thank you.

With every little setback and problem, I hear the chime of a cash register in my mind. I can't even imagine the cumulative costs of all of that work - even split five ways. As bad as a motorcycle might be, NOTHING on an airplane comes cheap - especially a competent mechanic. Not to mention all of the required (and ongoing) inspections.

What is the number of service hours between engine overhauls?

Wow, kudos to you for taking that major financial plunge in pursuit of your dream!

I was a 25% owner in a Cessna 172 for about 5 years, and then we traded for a Cessna 177 Cardinal, which we kept for another 6 years before I finally pulled out of the LLC due to rising maintenance and running costs that I could not justify, especially since I always wanted to be on my motorcycle when the weather was good for flying. I went from flying about 100 -120 hrs per year to about 40-50 hrs the final year.

Good luck , and please keep us up to date on your odyssey.
punk.gif

Most coolio read in a long time! Congrats. Nothing like a big radial firing up.. pop sssss pop sssss POP POP POP!