Remove the ABS System - Can it be done?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
I recently read the thread about the issues a member was having with the ABS system on his FJR and it got me wondering if the ABS system can be removed altogether. My previous bike, 2008 R1, had a line going to each front caliper from the front MC and a line going to the rear caliper from the rear MC.

I was wondering, for simplicity's sake, can the ABS be removed from the FJR and converted to a conventional brake system, to avoid any possible costly issues with the ABS components?

Thanks!

I'm fairly certain that the 2nd Gens and later speedometer uses the rear wheel ABS sensor for its speed input signal. So you would need to keep the ABS ECU alive, at least for that function.

Can ABS be defeated? Probably. Re-plumbing of the hydraulics would make it so that the brakes would no longer be affected by whatever the ABS ECU does. But ABS is such a beneficial safety feature I can't imagine too many people who would be better off without it. And getting someone else to do it for you would be a liability concern for them, I'd imagine.

Beyond this ^ even if the ABS block does go bad such as by one of the valve freezing up what is the potential gain anyway? The loss of maybe 5 or 10 pounds off an already somewhat portly machine? If the ABS block does go bad your brakes still function fine you just don't have the ABS function. Not sure I can see going through all the work of fabbing up custom brake lines and such for the almost immeasurable increase in performance the few pounds would gain.

Chuck, I think this thread was in response to a recent 2nd Gen report of one that failed in an unusual way, where the rear brake fluid path was completely blocked, so no rear braking was happening.

my concern with proprietary ECM BS is that the manufacturer can disable other functions and throw a fatal error code, immobilizing the bike based on some trivial error if they so desire. We have already seen that happen with the sidestand switch malfunction, right? Just the next step in forcing owners to really be renters?

Ummm, no.

The side stand fault just turns on the CEL. It doesn't disable the bike.

Keep Calm

- and -
Ride On!

_
bike.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm positive I read on here that someone said the faulty switch wouldn't let them start the engine. Since it shuts off the engine when the stand is down that makes sense. But I certainly don't like the feature.

My recommendation is that if you don't want a bike with ABS, sell your current ABS equipped bike and buy a non-ABS model.

I think abs module on motorbikes must be only present on the rear wheel...