A new purpose for the Gen 2 OEM heated grip cutout - Music Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignFlaw06

Reaction score
My existing bluetooth setup was not very elegant. It worked fine, but it wasn't going to be much longer.

mmTR77mh.jpg

The buttons were wired to a Bluetooth adapter in the fairing. It worked for about 3 years, but not for much longer. A new solution was needed.

Thanks to my new buddy Marty and my 3D printer, I was able to come up with something. Marty sent me one of the spare inserts he had lying around. My modeling skills are not great and I didn't want to leave the bike in pieces while I tried to accomplish this. But I was able to recreate that blank part. My original version left the cutout opening available. It saved on print time for starters and I figured if I came up with a different application or someone else wanted something, it may prove useful.

UVPSuKrh.jpg

I started looking at other Bluetooth adapters and found one that fit inside the space of the cutout. Plus this guy had larger buttons that would be easier to manipulate.

61Mbl49-tjL._SL1000_.jpg

I came up with this design. It wasn't the final final design, but it was close to get fitted. It looks pretty beat up because I was still test fitting and tweaking at the time. The installed one looks much better.

Gs2ueO6h.jpg

uFj7dhJh.jpg

I printed it out of ABS, which holds up better to weather and fading. It also has some flex to it. The icons on the top are debossed but embossed underneath to lineup with the buttons on the Bluetooth adapter. There is enough flex on the top that I can press the buttons through the plastic.

The underside plate was relatively simple and I could adjust the thickness pretty easy without a lot of print time. It still looks like a mess in there, but it actually cleaned up a lot.

IkwE6oNh.jpg

I had to move the heated grip switch which was a small tradeoff. I've been having trouble with the grips lately anyway and it seemed to be a faulty switch. The new switch has an LED on it to tell me if my grips are getting power or not. But I think the final install of the housing for my new Bluetooth adapter looks pretty nice along with being cleaner and more weather resistant than before.

PPv5Hh3h.jpg

Very nice! I need a 3-D printer. Need to find a way to justify it to the missus...
They aren't as expensive as you'd think. A friend of mine just bought one for <$200. Cheaper ones require more effort to get dialed in, but he was printing pretty good quality in no time.

Latest posts