Starting issue 04 fjr; bike turns on power to gauges and fuel pump but no crank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew81

Reaction score
I have an 04 1300 with 35k miles on it, I parked it over the winter becuase the battery died last fall and just put a new battery in the other fully trickle charged before installing and when I turn the key the fuel pump primes and the gauges all flip like they are suppose to but the starter doesn't spin and I hear a click from under the seat from the relay assist (part #5pw-81950-00). Im assuming it's either the starter relay or the starter it's self but can not locate the relay to check it any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

the battery died last fall and just put a new battery in.....
Battery terminals fully screwed down? A partially connected battery will power things like fuel pumps and gauges, but not the high amperage starter.

If battery (low or poor connection), the gauges would re-sweep and trip odometer/clock would reset. If these did not happen, I would suspect starter relay/solenoid. In case it is the sidestand interlock, try starting in neutral.

Have it in neutral on the center stand and have tried removeing battery terminals and recleaning and tightening them, where is the starter solenoid located i cant seem to find it or I am overlooking it,also do you know how to jump the starter directly on this i cant locate the wires so I can check if my starter it's self is bad

So I found the starter relay and jumped it the bike fired up ran fine so I know my starters good. Does this mean my solenoid is bad or could it be the starter switch the bike has seen a lot of moisture the shed I keep it in is not climate controlled and my first year owning it was my only vehicle so I rode every day rain or shine I pulled the starter button apart and cleaned it with no prevail.

Another possibility is the side stand switch, or a problem with the starter safety circuit. Being unused to the bike, I found myself facing the same symptoms on the first weekend ride; panel powers up, but no starter. The bike was in gear on the side stand
blush2.gif

But that also means that there are a number of things down that trail that could give you this problem, the side stand switch, neutral switch, clutch switch, etc.

Since he heard the click of the relay, then the safety conditions for starting the engine will be satisfied.

I vote for relay also. Mine crapped out just before my YES coverage ended. I had verified that it failed by reading across the main contactors while holding the starter button and hearing the click. Should see 0 volts, but instead there were 12 volts (approx) which means that although the coil pulled the contacts they didn't make contact. They didn't replace the relay because they insisted that the starter switch was bad and replaced the handlebar assembly, even though I told them the relay was bad. When it repeated days later, they reluctently replaced the relay and it's been working fine for the next 60,000 miles. Maybe I'm due for another as per Don's experience? ;)