BBG Trifecta Attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Well what the heck, I have decided to attempt a BBG Trifecta on the way out to YFO. Initially I was going to run up to the desired location

of I-90, but I have now decided to keep south and deal with the slower speed limits and keep to a familiar route. It looks like a May 27th start

out of West Palm Beach, FL. This attempt is not under the conditions that I had hoped for, but I want to give it a shot. My basic route will be:

BBG #1

West Palm Beach, FL to Sonora, TX (1511 miles) Via I-95/I-295/I-10

BBG #2

Sonora, TX to Ocotillo, CA to Lordsburg, NM (1506 miles) Via I-10/I-8/I-10

BBG #3

Lordsburg, NM to Sonora, TX to El Centro, CA (1534 miles) Via I-10/I-8

I have not worked out gas stops or witnesses yet… Any volunteers?

I will be running SPOT and will post up a link.

I would really like to pull this off (Against odds) so that I can attempt a BBG Quattro in July on my desired I-90 route.

Any advice/Info concerning this route is welcomed.

Thanks, Tony

SPOT: SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer

Back up SPOT: SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to seeing how you do with this Tony. I think you'll nail this ride with flying colors. Unfortunately I won't be able to follow your SPOT. As you'll be riding out west, I'll be riding around the east coast.

May weather, critters and road debris give you clear passage.

You crack me up. Haven't I heard you claim your "next" big LD ride, whatever it was, was going to be your last one? Like nine times? Well, maybe not that many, but I think we'll all be following your SPOT tracks around the continent for years to come. Good luck with this one.

See you in Mariposa. :)

Looks like good routes. I would suggest avoiding Houston during any peak times, it sucks. You sure are cutting it close on the mileage on the first two routes, might want to add another 20 or so miles just to be on the safe side.

I'm based in San Antonio, so you'll ride through my hood per say. Not sure if I'll be in town that weekend or out with the in-laws, but if you need anything, let me know. If I'm here, I'll be happy to be your witness.

IBA# 49494

You're right about cutting it close on mileage. It's a different situation than here in the east. If you push on to the next town, it might be another 40 miles. 40 miles equals 30 minutes. That is critical rest time. I will check the mileage on another program before locking in. I used an online planner that I have never used before. If it checks out consistent, I will be satisfied with the numbers. My stops have motels nearby should I decide to use them.

After rechecking mileage, I was short by 3 miles on BBG #2

New Turn around will be Jacumba Hot Springs, CA for 1529 miles

Hey, 101stpathfinder, I'd offer at least two hours of "ride-along time" if you were coming anywhere close to me. Done that for others, and I enjoy the opportunity.

2 & 1/2 weeks out, this ride is coming up real fast.

Looks like the 2nd and 3rd BBGs will be a team effort.

NTXFJR is going to join the ride in Sonora, TX.

The bike is a long way from being ready. I am in the process of adding a trailer hitch. The aux tank will go on tonight. A BBG Trifecta for a shake down ride should be interesting!

Haven't I heard you claim your "next" big LD ride, whatever it was, was going to be your last one?
Yah - the next thing you know, he'll be a Darksider.

tonguesmiley.gif

Good luck on the ride, Tony, and be safe!

Good luck Tony,

Just out of curiosity is it the mileage on the ODO what count's in the end?

Dave

Good luck Tony,
Just out of curiosity is it the mileage on the ODO what count's in the end?

Dave
Dave,

The ODs are usually off. The Certification team looks at the route, receipts, log and witness statements as a basic requirement.

SPOT track & GPS readings & any other means of proof are helpful. On this ride you must ride 1500 miles in 24 hours for 3 days in a row. If you begin

riding a 2nd or 3rd BBG early - you lose the extra time. You cannot bank time. The strategy is basic, ride a BBG/ rest up to the 24 hour

mark and ride another BBG and rest to the 24 hour mark- then ride the last BBG. You cannot bank time or miles. The team computes

mileage by looking at your receipt locations and computing distance using the shortest route possible (Unless you can prove you went

another route) Their calculations are done with mapping programs. This is why before most rallies you must have an OD check to determine

a correction rate.

One thing that is allowed that I will consider is getting an end receipt at the end of each BBG. This allows you to start after the 24 hour mark

if you feel the need to sleep another hour or so. This is helpful after the 2nd BBG for the reason of just completing the 3rd BBG on time and

not worrying about finishing with time to spare.

Hope that explains the ride (And foreshadows some strategy)

An example of proving longer route. If you do a mileage check from West Palm Beach, FL to Sonora, TX, you will find it to be short of the needed

1500 miles. The shortest route would be to use the Florida Turnpike. I will use I-95N to Jacksonville, FL, so I must plan a fuel stop (Receipt)

from Jacksonville which proves I went the further distance.

Not familiar with you and new to this site. I knew John Ryan when he did his first triple on that beater K75. I wish you my best in your attempt. Have confidence, sounds like plenty others around here do.

101stpathfinder posted: Well my new SPOT 3 arrived yesterday, so I am hoping I got this set up right: SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer
Looks like you did. The link goes to Spotwalla, and a map labelled: BBG Trifecta/YFO/50CC. (Read about 'security zones' and think about whether you want to set up one around your home.)

Now, don't forget to turn on your Spot3!

Thanks HUD, I disabled the security zones to test the unit. I now need to delete the testing "Rides" Jason (From spotwalla) was a great help with getting this set up.

One of the features from the SPOT3 was really causing me fits.