Top case mount, two position

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogopogo

Reaction score
I wish I had the option of having the top case more forward as in position #1. With no passenger the aeros are not good with that big space between rider and case when traveling at +++ speeds... I use a soft bag a lot on the passenger seat to avoid that but it's not waterproof or lockable. Is there any other adapter anyone is aware of to move the stock case forward?

Great work on your project, not something I've got the skills or tools to do.

I designed and built my own but it is not convertible like the OP's design (I wish it was):

Dan
Very nice! I love custom stuff. My next one will be a phone mount with wireless charging.

Am I missing the obvious? Who makes this equipment? It sure looks and functions well.
I built it, it's one of a kind. I assume there's not much demand for convertible mounts, otherwise somebody would be marketing them. That could be partly because a forward mounted top case requires a sort of Rockette move for boarding.
smile.png

Am I missing the obvious? Who makes this equipment? It sure looks and functions well.
I built it, it's one of a kind. I assume there's not much demand for convertible mounts, otherwise somebody would be marketing them. That could be partly because a forward mounted top case requires a sort of Rockette move for boarding.
smile.png
Nice work BTW! I developed an easy-on, easy-off method. With the case in the pictures (33L Givi Trekker), it is easy to mount/dismount by just swinging the leg higher. I have a 46L and I just stand on the left peg and mount like getting on a horse. Side stand down, dismount same way.

Eezee peezee.

Dan

smile.png
Nice work BTW! I developed an easy-on, easy-off method. With the case in the pictures (33L Givi Trekker), it is easy to mount/dismount by just swinging the leg higher. I have a 46L and I just stand on the left peg and mount like getting on a horse. Side stand down, dismount same way.

Eezee peezee.

Dan
As someone who is on the short side - I use this method religiously to avoid dragging my boot across a saddlebag.

Ogopogo - your design looks to be on par with any major manufacturer. I wish had 1/10th of this talent. Obviously a lot of time and work went into this, but if it's something that could be reproduced I bet you could find some buyers.

smile.png

Eezee peezee.

Dan
I just tried it in the shop, no sweat. I'll see how it works on the road. Being an old fart, after a couple hours in the saddle I tend to seize up, especially in colder weather. The side stand dismount just might make the difference some day.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously a lot of time and work went into this, but if it's something that could be reproduced I bet you could find some buyers.
Next winter's project will be a substantial CNC router I hope. With that I could make the flat parts out of aluminum and save a ton of hand work. But then the welding would be slower, so still hard to see how to make the thing affordable. Then there's the difficulty of retail. With a one off I only have to please myself. But with some re-design, who knows. I'll be thinking about it.

For the guys that have built and use these, what are the benefits that you have realized from the design? Reduced drag? Increase in carrying weight vs the tail? Other benefits?

Thanks!

In my case (the Trekker mount), there were at least two reasons:

1) My Dad always cautioned against adding weight high and behind the rear axle. With the motorcycles of the time (several decades ago), handling would be adversely effected and a high speed wobble could occur. I have always just followed that advice. There have been reported incidents of instability with a trunk mounted in the "standard" rear position, especially without a passenger (on current technology bikes). I ride solo 99% of the time so this stability is important. I never even know it is there when riding under all conditions.

2) With my mount, I am basically weight unlimited since the structure is directly mounted to the sub frame at about the point that a passenger would apply load to the bike.

Also (least important), I think it looks much better hovering over the passenger seat instead of "out back".

Here is a picture of my rig with the 46L Trekker and plenty of room for a soft cooler on back. This was on a trip up to the Canadian border to meet a friend on his way down. This is a very compact system:

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
In my case (the Trekker mount), there were at least two reasons:
1) My Dad always cautioned against adding weight high and behind the rear axle. With the motorcycles of the time (several decades ago), handling would be adversely effected and a high speed wobble could occur. I have always just followed that advice. There have been reported incidents of instability with a trunk mounted in the "standard" rear position, especially without a passenger (on current technology bikes). I ride solo 99% of the time so this stability is important. I never even know it is there when riding under all conditions.

2) With my mount, I am basically weight unlimited since the structure is directly mounted to the sub frame at about the point that a passenger would apply load to the bike.

Also (least important), I think it looks much better hovering over the passenger seat instead of "out back".

Here is a picture of my rig with the 46L Trekker and plenty of room for a soft cooler on back. This was on a trip up to the Canadian border to meet a friend on his way down. This is a very compact system:

Dan
That covers it pretty well. Only thing I can think to add at the moment is that some top case arrangements remind me of this.

c3e808523c8d5134785f356af135d1f5.jpg

Latest posts