2016 battery tender plug?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faster675

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
cant find answer in bin o facts, owners manual, or search.There is what appears to be a battery tender type plug hanging on the right side of my 2016 bodywork (behind the adjustable flaps) .... Is it a "battery tender plug" - which connects directly to the + and - terminals of the battery? Is it fused?

It could be...Maybe the dealer installed a Battery Tender pig tail. The bike does not come from the factory with one...but if it is one...it should be fused.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I worked for a Harley dealer a few years ago they installed a tender lead on every bike they sold. Smart move for a dealership to make when they do the new bike prep because it's then an easy upsell to anyone that might not already own a tender.

Likely your dealer is smart like that.

My FJR came with one, but the salesman assured me he asked that it be put on for free since I was such a good customer.

Not a bad idea, I guess, considering how inaccessible the battery is on the FJR.. Would another panel and a couple of fasteners made the bike that much more expensive??

2 screws, 2 push pin rivets, pop the panel and you're looking at the top of the battery. I never thought this was "inaccessible".

2 screws, 2 push pin rivets, pop the panel and you're looking at the top of the battery. I never thought this was "inaccessible".
If you're lucky like I am it's only 1 screw since a dealership service dept snapped off the plastic tab by the right mirror mount.

Just plug your battery tender into it and you are good to go. It is not fused....wired directly to the battery terminals...

My push pin rivets have been MIA since I got the bike. Battery access takes less than a minute.
Just plug your battery tender into it and you are good to go. It is not fused....wired directly to the battery terminals...
If the battery tender/aux cable isn't fused already, it should be!

Actually, they are typically fused with their own inline blade type fuse of medium amperage (typically 7 amps) but otherwise connected directly to the battery terminals.
If you will also want to use that pigtail to power an electric air compressor (for tire repairs out on the road), check to see what it draws and makes sure there is an appropriate size fuse in there for that. The wire gauge and short length will usually support up to a 15 amp fuse.