VStream windshield lowered, with wedges (gen lll)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogopogo

Reaction score
Photos of tallest VStream shield cut down about 3”, and installed on 8 degree wedges. Thanks to Fred W for the idea.

I had a block of some kind of nylon like stuff about 2” thick. Squared it off on a mitersaw, and then cut a slice at 8 degrees. Cut a pair of 3/4” wide pieces from that, drilled and trimmed. Also cut a very thin slice at the same angle and made some washers so that the screw heads land square. Only took about a half hour. Anybody with a mitersaw can make wedges out of whatever hard material you might have handy.

The VStream is normally more vertical than the stock windshield, so the wedges only make it a similar angle to stock. Pleased with the result, opening and closing my helmet shield makes minimal difference to noise levels now. When the shield in in the low position I can see over it to a point close to the bike. The highest position is still about 1.5” too high for me to see over, but I'm going to leave it than way for now in case I move the bars back.

Other than more smooth and quiet, the only thing I've noticed is that if the top of shield is raised to just below my eye line, then the “wings” of the shield can be a little distracting when leaning in corners.

Low position.

shield_down.jpg

sideview_shield_down.jpg

High position, with cutoff pieces taped on to show how much I removed. Took off 2", tried it, then another 1". Cut so that width was maintained.

shield_up.jpg

Wedges

wedges_alone.jpg

A wedge installed, and detailed with a Sharpie.
smile.png
Used longer screws.

wedges_installed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job with the wedges! My spacers are jealous.
wink.png
I don't even know what that block of nylon stuff was originally. A scrapper friend had a bunch of them and he gave me one. It was about 10" square, 2" think, and had some beveled edges. Recessed attachment holes and was well scuffed up. My best guess is that it was a bumper of some sort, maybe bolted to a freight loading dock. Anyway, if you ever come across anything like it, grab it. I've used it for several projects, and my neighbor used a piece for one of his projects. It's now about half gone and I'm going to be sad if it ever gets used up.

I've seen kitchen cutting boards that resemble that wedge material, but might not be as thick.