Split: Off-topic about reserve tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetwolf

Reaction score
why the fuck dont these things have a reserve tank?? or at least a petcock that you can switch to reserve. i always wonder how fast i can go with only 2 bars on the fuel gauge.

Da Wolf

why the fuck dont these things have a reserve tank?? or at least a petcock that you can switch to reserve.
Because it's not 1978 anymore with gravity feed carbs and running the fuel pump dry and/or the injection system dry is hard on things. Try pretending its 2005...it's really not that bad. ;)

punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif
bike.gif
help.gif

OK, found that button. Now if you gentlemen would please address my question.

How fast can I go with 2 bars of fuel left???? It's almost fuckin friday

Palouse Falls ride on sunday

Bruce

punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif
bike.gif
help.gif

That is off-topic. Try starting another thread. (Edit: Sigh, split since others ignored my note and went off topic too)

Or try an existing NEPRT thread if you want to try and invoke the Friday thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
punk.gif
punk.gif
punk.gif
bike.gif
help.gif

Palouse Falls ride on sunday

Bruce
Go as fast as you want. Having two bars left on the fuel gauge should not limit your speed. It does not limit mine.

Go as fast as you want with 2 bars left, the faster the better. Just don't head off on Rt 50 through Nevada without some means of in flight refueling.
help.gif
Gas stations are few and far between in that neck of the woods.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

Thanks Brodie, thats the answer I was looking for.with 2 bars left I figure its about 30 pounds lighter. Once the flux capacitor kicks in, I'm golden.

punk.gif

Shit, can't find the banana emoticom thingamajigger.

250 miles tomorrow to the Palouse Falls and back. Aw crap, 250 miles today it.s 12:05

Nighty nite

Da Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course all bike are a bit different at top end with farkles also making a difference, and then there is the headwind, and total load (don't forget to account for the bug load if doing this at night). But according to my TI scientific calculator, in general you should get about 1.0037 times the speed of three bars. Now if this was toco Tuesday, you could go out try it, report back, your absolute top speed just before the engine coughs and runs out of gas!!

Well, didnt get a chance to actually get on the flux capacitor today. 250 miles .with my bandit 1200 and a harley behind me. as we pulled into Washtucna, andy sez, "huh, my fuel light just came on"

Me "Can you make it to colfax or get gas here. we had a beer and burger and blasted to colfax and he ran outta gas about 2 miles from Dusty, Wa. I had to turn around and head back to find them. Went to Dusty, Wa. borrowed a 1 gallon gas can from an old guy across the street from the \gas station and managed to get the harley filled back up and 2 miles down the road to fill EVERYBODY up in Dusty, Wa. (everybody would be the 3 of us, and have i mentioned that there is a town in Wa called Dusty)

The bug load was pretty heavy, but dodging tha frickin ,birds was hell. They seem to fly a little faster now that spring is here but I dont like ducking to avoid them.

Alrighty then back on topic/off topic. I trust a fuel gauge about as much as i trust a fart .Any other questions?

Bruce

My opinion is you need to go as fast as possible to get to the next gas station before it runs out...

It's like winning the lottery - you need to spend it as quickly as possible...