Oil light staying on?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
I changed the oil last night in the bike. Took it to the post office about 3 1/2 miles up the road. About half way there I noticed the oil light was on. Bike was running and shifting fine. I pulled over and looked at the sight level and on the side stand it was on the low limit. If I stand the bike up straight it is half way between marks. Situation normal.

Could it be a bad filter? I changed the filter also it is brand new.

Got to run, the boss is calling. I will check the manual later to see what it says.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Light is for oil level, not oil pressure. Must not have filled it enough.
Correct but who would of thought this much would make a difference?

Before

DSCN0915_zpsmxlfwrql.jpg

After

DSCN0916_zpszxisne4b.jpg

All happy now. Back to planting flowers and another apple tree. I need to pick some rhubarb for a pie later too. Mmmmmmmm Pie!

Thanks, Fred

mda.gif
mda.gif
mda.gif

There are some other reports of the light coming on early. I guess it's better for it to come on too early than too late.

It may also have something to do with what weight oil you are using since thicker oil would be slower to return to the sump, so would be a lower level there when the engine's actually running. Plus fresh oil is a bit more viscous than oil that has some miles on it.

I was previously using Delo 400 which comes in a one gallon container. Normally I would just put it all in. This time I used the Mobil1 which I believe comes in 4.73 quarts. I know I left some in the bottle but maybe to much.

Lesson learned,

Dave

In case you do not do it, when changing the oil and filter, fill to the proper pull level and start the bike to get the oil into the filter then let it sit for a few minutes and check the level. Fill to the proper full marks. The manual clearly indicates the oil capacity with filter is more than 4 quarts.

Mobil 1 comes in 5 quart bottles, which I like because it does take more than 4 quarts to refill an FJR.

I'm also a scurrilous rebel and only change the oil filter every other time, per the FSM recommendation. Aside from that recommendation, I justify that lackadaisical practice by the fact that, even after changing the filter along with the oil, there is another quart of dirty oil left in the engine that you cannot drain without disassembling the engine. So, that few ounces of dirty oil trapped in the filter is pretty insignificant.

YMMV

I just dump in 4 quarts and 7 ounces (4 liters) with a filter change, and it always works out perfect; the level stays right on the top line 'til the next time. My oil comes in bottles marked in ounces, so I've always got a clean container, and it's easy to measure. My ZRX takes three liters. I have to measure it too.

It sure would be handy if oil by the liter was more readily available.
mda.gif

1 gallon of yamalube usually puts me at half-glass, sometimes slightly below. Some changes I have to add some oil. Some, the gallon is enough. I change the filter with every oil change (sue me). Usually I run toward the top of the glass. Since my most recent change last week, my level looks like the top pic- halfway up the glass on a level bike. No oil light yet.

Oooohhh. Then no wonder your oil light was coming on. You are supposed to check the oil level with the bike on the center stand. Even a slight tilt will affect the reading. On the side stand the bike tips towards the sight glass and the sight glass will be fully covered.

It was within the marks on the center stand so I figured it was OK. All be it down near the bottom of the lower dot.

I wonder if some of these are more sensitive than others. My oil light has never come on, except for start up. My oil is always just a bit under the top mark, bike on center stand.

In your first post, you said on the side stand, the level was on the low side, but on the center stand, it was halfway between the marks. Were you saying the oil shows HIGHER when the bike is on the center stand? That's not supposed to be the case.

FWIW, yesterday, with a new filter, 1 gallon + .25 quarts put my level right where I like it. I fill with the gallon, then run the bike. Then I bring it back up with the last .25 quart. Perfect every time.

I wonder if some of these are more sensitive than others. My oil light has never come on, except for start up. My oil is always just a bit under the top mark, bike on center stand.
In your first post, you said on the side stand, the level was on the low side, but on the center stand, it was halfway between the marks. Were you saying the oil shows HIGHER when the bike is on the center stand? That's not supposed to be the case.

FWIW, yesterday, with a new filter, 1 gallon + .25 quarts put my level right where I like it. I fill with the gallon, then run the bike. Then I bring it back up with the last .25 quart. Perfect every time.
I saw that too and thought it made no sense for it to show lower on the side stand. I put in 4 quarts 7 ounces (virtually the same that you do) with a new filter, and it's right on the top line for 4000 to 6000 or so miles, then I do it again. I'm kinda weird about it being on the top line. I know it's supposed to be fine anywhere between them, but I just like to see it on top.

OG

"It sure would be handy if oil by the liter was more readily available"

Can send you all the empty litre oil bottles you can use!

-Steve

I've never once measured the oil when pouring it in. That is what the sight glass is for. When it's full to the upper dots that is the right amount. ;)