Which exhaust is this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Hey folks - I was looking at a low mileage gen1 to replace my aging gen1, so I could switch over all my after-market stuff. Was looking at another 04' that has after-market cans on it, but can't tell who makes them. Kinda looks like Yoshimura TRS or Delkevics to me. Anyone recognize these? I might buy it, and the pipes sound great.. but I'd like to get the low volume inserts as they are just a little too loud for me. I like flying silent on the FJR :D .

00S0S_i0dxMopsSPl_1200x900.jpg

Almost certainly a Yosh, the shape is unique but also the hanger/clamp. I have a carbon R77 on my '07 FZ1. Not sure you can get inserts for the angled exit pipe but I have had great support with their US office, so a call would sort that out..

Almost certainly a Yosh, the shape is unique but also the hanger/clamp. I have a carbon R77 on my '07 FZ1. Not sure you can get inserts for the angled exit pipe but I have had great support with their US office, so a call would sort that out..
Yeah, I definitely thought Yoshimura at first too, but it also looks a lot like the Delkavic here:

https://www.delkevic.us/index.php?route=product/product&path=20282_22759_22920&product_id=2161

It does have mounting holes in the exhaust for silencers as well:

01717_jeez5fvAsW_1200x900.jpg

Oh, and the sales guy said those mufflers give the bike 10-15% more horsepower!

If they are Delkevic's, the insert should fit despite the angled outlet. I have a 17" oval set that have an angle outlet and a hole in the bottom of the outlet (as can be seen in your 2nd photo) for the insert retaining screw. I'm not in front of my bike right now, but if my memory is not failing, the Delkevic name logo is etched into the stainless (as many others are) which I think would be hard to remove and easy to see and identify. However in your first photo the name would be in the area of the shadow on the top outside flat of the triangle side.

Google pictures make it look like those are Delkevics.
I'm leaning towards that as well after comparing pictures. Should have looked closer when I checked the bike out on Saturday. The shop said they were Yoshimura pipes, but they don't match anything I can find. Of course, they also said they give 10-15% more HP, so we can take anything they say about pipes with a grain of salt :D .

I'm not in front of my bike right now, but if my memory is not failing, the Delkevic name logo is etched into the stainless (as many others are) which I think would be hard to remove and easy to see and identify. However in your first photo the name would be in the area of the shadow on the top outside flat of the triangle side.
I can't zoom in but it almost looks like something is etched all around the very back in between the screws/rivets.

I'm not in front of my bike right now, but if my memory is not failing, the Delkevic name logo is etched into the stainless (as many others are) which I think would be hard to remove and easy to see and identify. However in your first photo the name would be in the area of the shadow on the top outside flat of the triangle side.
I can't zoom in but it almost looks like something is etched all around the very back in between the screws/rivets.
I agree, and that is how my Delkevic ovals are as well, but it's not etched on the cap rather ingraved (or stamped probably), unlike the etching of the name and logo on the can itself. Sad thing is I just returned from a short ride on the VFR800, which is parked next to my FJR and forgot about this thread. I'll be at my bikes tomorrow and will take a closer look.

I found a photo that will not be definitive, but might help, of my Delkevic Oval. Notice the bracket looks identical, the stamped letters on the cap of mine are similar to the letters on the bike in question. The engraved name and logo is on the can towards the back. There are reflections, but you can read the 'Delkevic' just to the right of the soft black strap and hook.

Delkevic%20Oval_zpse34ujw9x.png

BTW.....if it turns out these are Delkevic, and if you do purchase this bike and would like to hear the sound with the inserts in, I'll package up my inserts (which I'm not at this time using) and ship them to you, so you can try them out before buying. I haven't found a big difference in or out, but there is at least a small difference and that might be just enough to tame it down for your taste.

I found a photo that will not be definitive, but might help, of my Delkevic Oval. Notice the bracket looks identical, the stamped letters on the cap of mine are similar to the letters on the bike in question. The engraved name and logo is on the can towards the back. There are reflections, but you can read the 'Delkevic' just to the right of the soft black strap and hook.

Delkevic%20Oval_zpse34ujw9x.png
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are the Delkevics.

BTW.....if it turns out these are Delkevic, and if you do purchase this bike and would like to hear the sound with the inserts in, I'll package up my inserts (which I'm not at this time using) and ship them to you, so you can try them out before buying. I haven't found a big difference in or out, but there is at least a small difference and that might be just enough to tame it down for your taste.
Thanks, I might take ya up on that offer. Looks like they are pretty cheap anyway. Can you post of pic of what yours look like? There are a few different options on the Delkevic site.

Here is the photo you requested. They are both the same length (10"), it's the angle of the photo that they appear different. Checking the Delkevic website they appear to be the 'PR2043' for $19.95 each, and supposedly fit both the 14" and 18" cans, so they might fit into the Tri-Ovals. I chatted with Matt at Delkevic in Englewood, who stated as long as the cans had the turned down outlet my insert baffles should fit either the 13", 14", 17" and 18"! He also stated there is not going to be a big difference in the sound, which is what I have noticed as well. If and when ready, PM with the shipping info and I will get them on the way so you can test them.

On the other hand, if they were still too loud for you, I would assume it it would be difficult for you to find an owner with OEM cans that would trade you.

Delkevic%20Oval-03_zpsu7dx0rxo.png

Here is the photo you requested. They are both the same length (10"), it's the angle of the photo that they appear different. Checking the Delkevic website they appear to be the 'PR2043' for $19.95 each, and supposedly fit both the 14" and 18" cans, so they might fit into the Tri-Ovals. I chatted with Matt at Delkevic in Englewood, who stated as long as the cans had the turned down outlet my insert baffles should fit either the 13", 14", 17" and 18"! He also stated there is not going to be a big difference in the sound, which is what I have noticed as well. If and when ready, PM with the shipping info and I will get them on the way so you can test them.
On the other hand, if they were still too loud for you, I would assume it it would be difficult for you to find an owner with OEM cans that would trade you.
Thanks for the info. I already have an 04', that's why I'm looking at another so all my stuff fits on the new bike. So I have stock cans already if I don't like the Delkevics. I only rode about 10 miles on the bike to test it, so might wind up being fine once I get used to it.