Sierra Passes road conditions (open or closed)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
With YFO around the corner I've had a few inquires about what is open. As of today Hwy 108 Sonora, 4 Ebbitts and 120 Tioga pass are closed. There is still a boatload of snow in the high country but it has been warm so it's melting. The rivers are flowing!

Hwy 88 Carson pass is open to Markleyville and hwy89 Monitor pass is open to hwy 395 and is the closest pass open to Yosemite

This may change in a week so here's the link to check current road conditions, just put in the highway number and it will come up.

Linky.... https://www.dot.ca.gov/dist9/road_con/Road_con.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The backcountry skiers are in hog heaven. Drive as far as the gates allow, and hike for turns. I don't see the passes opening for Memorial weekend this year, but no problem hoping something busts loose. Ebbetts pass is usually the first to fall, followed by Tioga and Sonora. The NPS tries very hard to get Tioga for Memorial weekend, but I'll be very surprised if they get it this year.

The backcountry skiers are in hog heaven. Drive as far as the gates allow, and hike for turns. I don't see the passes opening for Memorial weekend this year, but no problem hoping something busts loose. Ebbetts pass is usually the first to fall, followed by Tioga and Sonora. The NPS tries very hard to get Tioga for Memorial weekend, but I'll be very surprised if they get it this year.
I'm hoping...JSNS

Whats worse is the fact that LaPorte Road and Bucks Lake roads are still closed up in Plumas County. Now there are two roads that every motorcyclist should enjoy on a weekday with no one around.
innocent.gif

Whats worse is the fact that LaPorte Road and Bucks Lake roads are still closed up in Plumas County. Now there are two roads that every motorcyclist should enjoy on a weekday with no one around.
innocent.gif
Sooo Bug...are you saying that an up, turn-around at the snow and back down is what's available if one were so inclined?

--G

Edit: BTW...one day and a wake up and I'm outta here!