Auto clutch problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosdog

Reaction score
I have a 2007 FJR AE with 55k miles on it. I have owned this therapeutic machine for 3 years now. Any questions I've had in the past were answered from other post found on this forum. Not that there have been many, so this is the first time I have posted.

However on my 4th ride this season just a couple stop lights from my house when I came to a stop and the clutch disengaged the indicator would read 1st gear but would not engage when throttled.

Neither the foot shifter nor the hand shifter would do anything, neutral, 2nd gear nothing (hand shifter light was on but would not turn on or off when pushed).

Put the kickstand down motor shuts off like it's in gear. Put it back up restart still nothing.

Turn the key off then back on restart indicator still reading 1st, hit throttle and it takes off like normal.

This happened on every stop I made after that. GRRRRR.

No codes shown.

I am assuming this is some type of electronic issue but not sure where to begin my search.

Any ideas or theories???

Thanks

Hmnn,

I have a '06AE and never had this come up fortunately but interested in the cause, fosdog. Probably not a clutch bleed/flush issue as it functions normally at times. Good to do though if you haven't. You know controller will not permit upshift above 1st while stopped, but should be able to go into neutral.

I would look at all the associated wiring connectors to the clutch and shift actuators. I think there's a ECU somewhere too. If you have the service manual, I believe there's a troubleshooting flow chart for the system. We can take a look if you don't have one.

Good luck!

I had an issue and it turned out to be the heated throttle wires shorted and caused it to stop shifting. I ended up with a code 54 error or something like it. Open up the throttle assembly on the handle bars and inspect the wires carefully. Mine was improperly reassembled by a yamaha tech and the wires wore apart because of it.

Once i disconnected the heated grips and cleared the code i was fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright Guys it took me a while to recreate the issue but here goes.

After the bike was at (mid range on the temp gauge) operating temp,while riding and even at idle in my garage.

The auto clutch would fail to engage.

Checked the voltage while it was in this mode 13.4-13.8 vdc Brightlights/ hand warmer.. on/off stayed in this range so I ruled out low voltage.

All fluid levels are good.

Solenoid and related parts all tight.

So while I'm standing there in the garage watching it idle scratching my head. I by chance notice the idle was about 1400 rpm. I adjusted it back down to 1000 rpm. The issue has went away and I have 60 miles or so riding and trying to recreate the problem with only carefree riding as a result.

I can only assume the high idle was stopping the computer from allowing the clutch to in gauge.

I am kind of curious why it didn't throw a code and how the idle went up out of nowhere.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.