Tire Pressure Monitor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Klark

Any recommendations on a after market TPM?

I see a bunch that screw on to the valve stem.

Not my first choice but it's quick and only about a $100

rolleyes.gif

Doran

Mount the sensors inside when you replace the OEM tires.

-Steve

Apr 2019; Doran is out of the motorcycle marketplace.

Last edited by a moderator:
FOBOBike works flawlessly. I've had mine for a lot of miles. Shows temp and pressure, alerts you with an audible signal if either gets outside parameters you set. Never failed. On the rare occasions that I need to replace a battery (I do it annually as a precaution) I can do it in 60 seconds, both wheels. To run any stem-mounted sensor, you need metal valve stems. So if you're going to replace your stems, don't just go metal, go with T-stems. About the same price. If I want to check or top off air (which I really don't have to do anymore, except once a year in the winter, but you never know), I can do so from the side, where it's convenient, and without removing the FOBO sensor. I have a garmin fancy schmancy gps that does everything, to include tpms. I'm not buying their caps, when fobo works flawlessly. With FOBO being my first TPMS, I am baffled at systems that require you to remove a tire to change a battery. I have a number of safety features on my bike, from SPOT, to admore light bar, to Realtime reflective bag decals. With the possible exception of the realtime reflectives, the FOBO is the most cost effective safety feature I've added to the bike. I don't keep it heads-up all the time. Usually I just set it and forget it and know if something happens I'll get a klaxon in my helmet. Good luck whatever you choose.

Fobo + I repeat all good stuff bill said :)

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, forgot to mention, welcome to the forum. And good luck on your upcoming trip. Let us know where yer headed and when, and maybe a couple of us can meet up with ya to do a short tag along while you ride.

Gary

darksider #44

FOBOBike works flawlessly. I've had mine for a lot of miles. Shows temp and pressure, alerts you with an audible signal if either gets outside parameters you set. Never failed. On the rare occasions that I need to replace a battery (I do it annually as a precaution) I can do it in 60 seconds, both wheels. To run any stem-mounted sensor, you need metal valve stems. So if you're going to replace your stems, don't just go metal, go with T-stems. About the same price. If I want to check or top off air (which I really don't have to do anymore, except once a year in the winter, but you never know), I can do so from the side, where it's convenient, and without removing the FOBO sensor. I have a garmin fancy schmancy gps that does everything, to include tpms. I'm not buying their caps, when fobo works flawlessly. With FOBO being my first TPMS, I am baffled at systems that require you to remove a tire to change a battery. I have a number of safety features on my bike, from SPOT, to admore light bar, to Realtime reflective bag decals. With the possible exception of the realtime reflectives, the FOBO is the most cost effective safety feature I've added to the bike. I don't keep it heads-up all the time. Usually I just set it and forget it and know if something happens I'll get a klaxon in my helmet. Good luck whatever you choose.

Read Bill's post carefully. I love my FOBO unit especially with the T-valve stems. I will put this safety feature on all of my bikes from now on. +1 for the FOBO units. Look for the FOBO Group Buy so you can get $20 off.

fobo with t-valves here too, only downside, the t-valves are very heavy,
+1 - the T valves require more weights be added to the wheel to cancel them out than are required to balance the tire and wheel by itself. Still a great setup.

I don't think having the sensor on the outside is all that bad. A friend has the Doran system with the sensors inside the tire, When the battery dies on one of the sensors you lose your TPMS until the next tire change. He also managed to destroy one while changing a tire (easy to do if you forget they are in there).

The smaller size of the Fobo or Garmin sensors makes them better for external use. If you install the T-stems, and thread a locking nut under the sensor, then tighten the locknut to the sensor it will help discourage casual pilferage without use of tools. And when one does go bad, or goes missing, you just screw a new one on there without messing with the tire.

I have the FOBO system (with T-stems) on both bikes. When I go out to the garage in the morning, I turn on the fobo app on my phone and read all four tires' pressure (and temp) in about 30 seconds. If a tire needs adjustment the T-stem makes it easy-peasy. And battery changes (about once a year) takes about 60 seconds. Very happy with the Fobo setup.

I just installed the Hawkshead system with their t-valves before my 3,000 mile trip to the Smokies and it worked flawlessly. Small light sensors mounted to the valve stems with replaceable batteries and a waterproof small head unit that has a rechargeable battery via a USB cable that did not need to be recharged the entire trip. Shows both pressure and temperature for each tire. Highly recommended.

How does it measure tire temperature if it mounted to the valve stem rather than internally?
It is measuring the temperature of the air inside the tires, not the surface temperature of the tires. The sensor has contact with the air in the tire in order to measure the pressure so it would also be able to measure the temperature.

I just installed the Hawkshead system with their t-valves before my 3,000 mile trip to the Smokies and it worked flawlessly. Small light sensors mounted to the valve stems with replaceable batteries and a waterproof small head unit that has a rechargeable battery via a USB cable that did not need to be recharged the entire trip. Shows both pressure and temperature for each tire. Highly recommended.
This is the system I've had about a year or so, I really like it. The battery in the control unit seems to last forever (like a watch or something) but I recharge before a trip. Has worked flawlessy so far. Sensors on "T" stems, easy to change those batteries when needed.

Dan

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen this brand yet. Seems closest to what I was looking for. Having had OEM TPMS for the past 10 years on previous bikes, I've been missing the piece of mind on my FJR of knowing what my tires are doing when I'm rolling. Having had a tire go flat 2 up at 80 mph after running over a nail was not fun. Or another time of having a puncture that I couldn't seal all the way with a plug out in BFE and having to stop every 50 miles to refill, it sure was nice to know when to stop to refill before it got too low. TPMS and a small electric air compressor saved my ass on that trip. I'll take all the warning I can get.