So, I Ran Out of Gas...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergmen

Reaction score
2014 A, heading across Highway 58 east from 101 (California), eventually to Barstow. When we turned off 101, there was a sign that said "No Services Next 82 Miles". I was a bit concerned but did a quick mental check and figured I was probably going to be okay.

I didn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy what the road had to offer, many tight twisties with long straight-aways, totally empty, no other traffic or potential hazards. I did a 1-2 miles stretch at 115mph and used max acceleration many times.

Once the "count-up" range reached close to 50 miles I started to get concerned. No sign of civilization in sight. So, I went into "economy" mode and cruised at around 55-60 to make the best of it. Just as I saw what looked like I-5 in the distance (3-5 miles away), it started sputtering. It would quit altogether and I would rock it back and forth and it would surge ahead. This went on for what seemed like an eternity.

Finally, I coasted into a Valero station. Stats:

"Count-up": 57.4 miles.

Miles on tank: 270.

Gallons to fill: 6.528.

I was definitely on fumes, but we had no way of towing me to the station either (I was with two of my riding buddies).

Now I know pretty much what I can get out of this tank and will plan accordingly. If I was just slab-droning I probably could have gotten close to 300 miles or so but I'm not going to chance that.

Dan

I've done 34 miles on reserve, but never 57. Good to know. If you went easy on the reserve, you might get 60+. Good to know.

The count UP feature on this bike is effing stupid. Count down Yamaha, Count down. Hell, my 2005 Expedition tells me me how many miles I have left on a tank from the time I fill it up. I know it's not perfect and is based on my driving average, but it's Hella close. Not a guessing game, like the FJR.

The count UP feature on this bike is effing stupid. Count down Yamaha, Count down. Hell, my 2005 Expedition tells me me how many miles I have left on a tank from the time I fill it up. I know it's not perfect and is based on my driving average, but it's Hella close. Not a guessing game, like the FJR.
Yeah, it really sucks, totally worthless IMO. Just tell me I have hit "reserve", that's all I need to know. This constant blinking like I need to be reminded every two seconds gets old also.

It is interesting that there is almost no useable fuel left when it starts running on fumes. My buddy has an ST1300 and he syas even though it is supposed to have a 7.7 gallon tank, only 7.4 are useable.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride that road all the time.. Good on yah for getting to gas. Now go get yourself an aux tank so you can be even FARTHER out when you run out.. :whistle:

I ride that road all the time.. Good on yah for getting to gas. Now go get yourself an aux tank so you can be even FARTHER out when you run out..
whistle.gif
No thanks (on the aux tank). I will know to plan accordingly in the future.

Dan

Right around 200 I start looking for gas. I'm pretty heavy on the throttle and don't like runnin outta gas. Pretty sure I could stretch a tank to 270 if I didn't take advantage of the speed above the double double nickel.

2014 A, heading across Highway 58 east from 101 (California), eventually to Barstow. When we turned off 101, there was a sign that said "No Services Next 82 Miles". I was a bit concerned but did a quick mental check and figured I was probably going to be okay.I didn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy what the road had to offer, many tight twisties with long straight-aways, totally empty, no other traffic or potential hazards. I did a 1-2 miles stretch at 115mph and used max acceleration many times.Once the "count-up" range reached close to 50 miles I started to get concerned. No sign of civilization in sight. So, I went into "economy" mode and cruised at around 55-60 to make the best of it. Just as I saw what looked like I-5 in the distance (3-5 miles away), it started sputtering. It would quit altogether and I would rock it back and forth and it would surge ahead. This went on for what seemed like an eternity.Finally, I coasted into a Valero station. Stats:"Count-up": 57.4 miles.Miles on tank: 270.Gallons to fill: 6.528.I was definitely on fumes, but we had no way of towing me to the station either (I was with two of my riding buddies).Now I know pretty much what I can get out of this tank and will plan accordingly. If I was just slab-droning I probably could have gotten close to 300 miles or so but I'm not going to chance that.Dan

Thanks for this information. Good to know.

I love the count up. I can't tell you the number of times a low fuel light went unnoticed and, when it finally got bright enough to see in daylight, left me wondering how many miles I had been on reserve. Given the variables a guess of miles left from a low-powered computer chip is not my choice.

Count-up works for me. I KNOW how far I can go on the "reserve". Minimum of 50 miles under most conditions - keeping it under 75 mph, no headwind etc. I can stretch it to 70 miles or further (at least on my bike) if I turn the wick down to 55 or so. Although I have never run out, I have put 6.3+ gallons in the tank.

So you were concerned about running out of gas and ran some miles at 115 mph and used maximum acceleration a few times knowing there weren't going to be any services for the next 80+ miles?

Really? Thanks for doing the research.

Taking it fairly easy I got to 66 miles one time on count up, before I chickened out.

It is interesting to know how far an FJR went on reserve under those conditions. The fact that one FJR got a particular number of miles on reserve does not make that the number we can all expect. There must be some variation in the mechanism that measures the fuel level. Also there are differences in riding style, wear on the engine, and even altitude which affect mileage.

I've gone at least 60 on the count up and have never been able to get 6 gallons or more in at fuel up. I think at 60 I put in 5.8. If the tank is really 6.6 then by my calculations I'd have at least 100 miles on the count up. One day I'm going to have someone follow with a gas tank and see how far it will actually go. At least now I do not begin to stress if I know I've got gas around the 30-40 range on the count up.

Also, every fuel gauge is calibrated differently. That's why I specified MY bike. Slight bending of the metal rod attached to the float will change your result. Fill immediately when the countup starts and you will know how much is left for future reference.

So you were concerned about running out of gas and ran some miles at 115 mph and used maximum acceleration a few times knowing there weren't going to be any services for the next 80+ miles? Really? Thanks for doing the research.
I didn't necessarily become concerned about running out until the "count up" went above about 40. I had two friends with me, I was not alone. Also, Jerry owed me about half a dozens tows to a gas station (one time in a monsoon rain) that I figured he could bail me out somehow. The map showed a small town or two before the I-5 junction so I figured there would be gas there. No such luck.

Sure, it was a roll of the dice but we were out having a bunch-o-fun. And running out of gas is a hell of a lot better than getting a flat (THE one thing that I worry about most, outside of hitting a deer).

Dan

This is good information. I too have often wondered how far I could go. The most count up so far is 37 miles.

Just in case I or a riding partner run of fuel I carry a bladder taken from a large to go container available from coffee shops like Starbucks, Caribou etc..,. Anytime I see them in work meetings I take them. They fold up quite small and 96oz. It would be for emergency use only, I would NOT use it to carry extra fuel. Ride to next fuel station, fill up the bladder, return to the stranded bike and your back on the road.

Here is a video about it.

edited to add the word NOT

Last edited by a moderator: