BigJohn's Alaskan Adventure - The Trip Begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=14708592642f8157f3

Home from Yosemite YFO 2017 Monday at noon.

KLR ready by 2200, loaded into the truck 0730 Tuesday and SWMBO and I set out for Eureka MT. Stopped to visit Kevin and Annie in Helena, Pterodactyl plied me with wine and Irish Whiskey and I almost bought his S10 for the trip. Common sense prevailed at the last minute.

Arrived Eureka MT 1500 Wednesday June 7th. My two erstwhile companions, Mark and Kip rolled in a few hours later. Mark aboard a late model GSA, Kip astride an 08 Buell Ulysses. The Buell needed some work, headlight out, Rear tire worn badly, driving lights falling boff. Thankfully our host's son in law owns the local hardware store and repairs were effected, tire replaced in the morning.

Underway from Eureka MT at Noon on Thursday June 8th. Crossed the border after only minor questioning about firearms in possession.

Made it to Cranbrook BC before the Buell needed more attention, this time a front motor mount was falling apart. JB Plastic Weld to the rescue, part ordered and shipped to Whitehorse. If course the weather resisted it's heasd, torrential thunderstorms while at the Harley dealer, we chased them as far as Radium Hot Springs where we opted for a little local Motel instead of the tents.

KLR doing fine, heading to Banff, Lake Louise, Ice Field Parkway, Jasper and points North today.

Photos later. Some on Facebook which is as I much easier. Friend requests to John Langdell if you need real-time photo fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ride safely and have fun Big John! Following along as the trip (and adventures) unfold!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Safe travels John and crew. Much as I still like my Buell they're not a bike I would take on a trip like yours.

"Minor questioning about firearms"? That's it? We got the third degree at the border headed to NAFO in 2012, which started with being told to backup 30' fully loaded 2 up to the non existent stop line. Anyway, glad you got through with little hassle and the bright side is with our pre-run goat trails at YFO, the Al-Can should be a piece of cake! Subscribed and safe travels!

Rumor has it there was a little Buell issue but going again.

BTW, if you ride a Buell does that make you a Bueller?

i-gqhV6Nt.jpg

Made it to Cranbrook BC before the Buell needed more attention, this time a front motor mount was falling apart.
The Buell has a belt drive which will not play well with the 450 miles of dirt and gravel on the Dempster Highway. I hope he is carrying at least one brand new replacement belt.

Made it to Cranbrook BC before the Buell needed more attention, this time a front motor mount was falling apart.
The Buell has a belt drive which will not play well with the 450 miles of dirt and gravel on the Dempster Highway. I hope he is carrying at least one brand new replacement belt.
This bikes lack of preparedness at the onset could be an ill omen, hope all goes well and everyone enjoys the adventure, ride and return safely, I will be following along as well as a host of other well wishers.

No internet last night due to storm. Bad weather all day, really cold with rain and snow between Jasper and Grand Cache AB. Now at Tim Horton's for Breakfast in Grand Prairie, AB. We are shooting for Fort Nelson Today, Sun is now out. Life is good. KLR leading the parade!

If this doesnt get to you too late, be sure to stop at Mae's Kitchen (if its open) at Wonowon.

And sample the water at Muncho Lake (mile 45x?), best tasting water in N America.

-Steve

Stuck in Wonwon, no Mae's kitchen, Chester's chicken at the gas station had to suffice! More heavy cold rain!. All is well, weather looking up for tomorrow, Destination Liard Hot Springs. Alaskan highway is kool. Better weather further North so the forecast says.

So sorry, poor memory, Mae's is @ Pink Mtn, mile 147. May not be open Sundays.

Did you bring a sign for the Watson Lake signpost forest?

-Steve

180 miles under our belts so far this morning. We stoppped in Fort Nelson for a late "Breakfast at Timmy's", Two large coffees later and my body temperature is almost normal. A cold ride from Wonwon this morning but the Blackbears were out, we saw three. No moose yet.

No signs

Took advantage of a break in the rain yesterday evening to do some maintenance. Fixed the Buell again, replaced the low beam headlight connector, remounted his horn, I repositioned my shift lever, rear brake pedal and highway pegs to more comfortable positions. The KLR used about half a quart of oil in nearly 900 miles of continuous high speed running....dont know if I've got a problem or not.

If there is a noticeable reduction in performance to go with the oil consumption, then you may have an issue with the lands on the piston.