The Top 10 Things I Learned at YFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
I started this tradition at another forum years ago after having a memorable experience at a "rally", using that term loosely. I thought we might enjoy it hear.

The top 10 things I learned at YFO:

10. It never rains in California

9. The Texas Highway Patrol doesn't care if I'm trying to get home fast.

8. "It's a dry heat..." is bullshit, plain and simple.

7. The diversity of the topography in this country is indescribable. You simply must see it to believe it. The southwest is an enormous playpen for any amateur naturalists.

6. You'd be amazed at how many friends you can make with a shampoo bottle.

5. The engineers at Yamaha designed the FJR headlight bulb change procedure to torture people.

4. Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park is the most majestic and panoramic place that I have ever seen.

3. After 8 days on the road, I miss my wife terribly and the guilt of fun on the tour weighs on me.

2. If this is what retirement is like, sign me up as soon as possible, please.

And the #1 thing I learned at YFO...

1. Tyler has a divine gift for bringing people together. She is just as lovely in person as she is on the Internet.

What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
My reply to your list...

10 yes it does rain, today as a matter of fact (over 98 inches this winter)

9 All state Highway patrol don't care where you are going that fast. How fast were you going?

8 It can be too hot to ride

7 Yes

6 That was not a little bottle... JSNS

5 Your hands are too big (not that there is anything wrong with that)

4 Still haven't been there, I'll wait until fall when the crowds are gone and go back to see it.

3 Me too, after 10 days on the road I just want to be home.

2 Semi retirement works for now

1 She's a peach, we love that girl.

I was cited for 88 in a 75. I thought it was accurate, although I saw the lights on top of the Tahoe Patrol Unit 1/4 second early and may have scrubbed a few mph off before the instant radar signal was heard. I asked him for some discretion and he thought "not". Award is $200.00 and I'm hoping I can take the online Driver course to hold the point(s) from my ODR.

If any of you care to, please chime in with your "top 10".

5. It does rain in California. It rained on us on the twistiest road possible.

4. Dry Heat, Dry Cold, the end result is the same. That is almost as irritating to me as "It's not the heat, it's the humidity".

3. There are more Good Things about California than Bad Things.

2. Tyler is Awesome (But I already knew that.) FJR folks are the Best (But I already knew that too.)

The Most Important Thing I learned at YFO:

1. Being an asshole on a forum while hiding behind the safety of your keyboard is wrong. I found myself sincerely regretting every mean thing I ever typed, every smart ass remark I ever made, every "Do a Search" I ever typed. I learned that when you shake hands with a person, when you look them in the eye, when you can feel the goodness and the humanity, you will really wish you had treated that person better. But I already knew that on some level. So I guess what I learned was that I needed to show more respect because all those folks deserved it.

While we're on the learning page here, some things I discovered:

1. Cali has some awesome roads and vistas

2. After meeting him in person, I discovered that RFH isn't such a bad guy after all.

3. I didn't learn that Pop's was a great guy after meeting him, because I already knew that.

4. This FJR group is an awesome bunch.

1. I still love pie, even after it's run over Hwy 49. And I'm not say that just because it was a gift.

2. That damn Petey never gets old.

3. After 7 days on the road with Harley Jeff, he is still one of my best friends.

4. Panman is a great ride leader, no tickets or rain.

5. I need to spend more time in Yosemite.

6. You folks take much better pictures than me.

7. Pants handled that bottle of rye like it was a little baby that he was afraid he was going to drop.

8. I have to go back to Cali, to many good roads that need to eat my chicken strips.

9. My ribbs hurt from laughing at the supper and not justs at Pant's dancing.

10. Miss T rocks, Sac Mike is a good hand and the rest of you folks are the best.

Redfish, I never noticed you being an ass around here but don't change. We all need some good southern skunk pokin' .

It was a real pleasure to meet and visit with you, your dad and even that pants guy
wink.png
Someday Gayle and I will be in your neck of the woods to get a taste of your portion of the planet. If most folks are as nice as you boys are it will be a fun trip.

What did I learn...

10 days and 3100-ish miles was just enough time to figure out I need to retire.

Kali roads (including the Little Dragon) are some of the finest riding in the country.

Forum folks are the best!

Looking forward to the next "FO" wherever it might be.

--G

I learned that I don't have to ride 3 days or a week to get to an FJR meet in order to have a hell of a good time. In fact, riding home in just a few hours after riding all weekend is not too short of a ride home at all.

Also that riding 3 days or a week isn't too far to ride to get to an FJR meet. They're all good.

There are plenty of roads in my own neck of the woods that need lots more of my attention.

The more of these meets I go to, the more I enjoy the whole bunch of ya.

Sorry to say, no matter how many meets I go to, I always appreciate a good name tag.

I didn't need to ride 10 days to know I needed to retire. So I did. Join me, George.

10. I wish we were there.

9. I wish we were there.

8. I wish we were there.

7. I wish we were there.

6. I wish we were there.

5. I wish we were there.

4. Y'all kinda suck for being there.

3. I wish we were there.

2. Retire? WTF is that?! From what I've seen, that's what all the Canadians do.

1. Tyler's OK, I guess.
tease.gif

1. I still love pie, even after it's run over Hwy 49. And I'm not say that just because it was a gift.2. That damn Petey never gets old.

3. After 7 days on the road with Harley Jeff, he is still one of my best friends.

4. Panman is a great ride leader, no tickets or rain.

5. I need to spend more time in Yosemite.

6. You folks take much better pictures than me.

7. Pants handled that bottle of rye like it was a little baby that he was afraid he was going to drop.

8. I have to go back to Cali, to many good roads that need to eat my chicken strips.

9. My ribbs hurt from laughing at the supper and not justs at Pant's dancing.

10. Miss T rocks, Sac Mike is a good hand and the rest of you folks are the best.
What a trip, did 5000 miles and more than half those miles were on twisty roads thanks to Oface he can whip up a route on BC in a few minutes. Thanks to the Bug man and his SO for putting us up and riding with us on some of the twisty's around his hood.Hey Pi Man don't tell me I'm not getting old, it's a bitch... I probably was the oldest guy there. It was sooo good to see old friends and make new ones. THANKS to Tyler
love.gif
for organizing this event I had a blast.
yahoo.gif

And what did I learn? Well after riding for two weeks that I have a sore ars...but I new that would happen! Can't wait to do it again.

10. I wish we were there.
9. I wish we were there.

8. I wish we were there.

7. I wish we were there.

6. I wish we were there.

5. I wish we were there.

4. Y'all kinda suck for being there.

3. I wish we were there.

2. Retire? WTF is that?! From what I've seen, that's what all the Canadians do.

1. Tyler's OK, I guess. :tease:
+1

10. One should not start a longish CBA ride on a motobike recently reconstructed from major surgery.

9. If one has time to CandyButt ride, one will see things differently, experience life from new filters.

8. If one has been working 80 hours per week for over 45 days, then has 3 days off, one is still at work mentally.

7. One should always take time to engage conversation with old pharts carefully eyeballing your motobike. You will find they worked on B26 bombers all the way to A10 WartHogs.

https://vimeo.com/220692949

6. I prefer to ride solo. Why then do I tear up when I read RFH's ride reports when I read I'm your friend, your wingman, you needed this?

5. Asking a friend, who you haven't seen for awhile, how there brother is doing can lead to sorrow.

4. I still like old barns. Old towns. Small towns. Old structures. Two lane roads. Nice cage drivers who pull over.

3. Fellers outta Looosianna can find roads in my backyard that I have yet to ride. What's up with THAT?

2. It's great to meet new FJR peeps. It's even better to see old FJR peeps not recently seen. ExskiBum for example.

1. Meeting the Looouuuuiiiiiisssssaaaaaannnnna trio was GREAT! Especially to meet Sir Hillary and shake his paw. You boys did good. JSNS.