Where to buy new front brake lines?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephanM

Reaction score
I have a black residue all over my front end. Looks like my front brake lines are leaking.

Can anyone recommend a source for ordering brake lines?

I'm in Canada.

Thanks

Partshark is a good place to get parts. Good prices, quick shipping. Are you looking for OEM or SS?

Can anyone recommend a source for ordering brake lines?I'm in Canada.
Instead of stock I strongly suggest going after-market stainless braided like Galfers or Spieglers. I assume Revzilla ships to Canada. Otherwise, Google is your friend with stainless braided brake lines fjr1300

I'm betting that the oozing liquid is fork oil from leaky fork seals! I have never heard of leaking brake lines on an FJR. If leaking at a union, it can probably be snugged up but the vast majority of people who think they have leaky brake lines actually have fork seal issues.

See if the residue disperses easily with water - brake fluid is fully water soluble but fork oil is not (Varsol cleans it up well).

Edit: If it turns out to be fork seals leaking, do a search on "Sealmate" before you decide to change seals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a black residue all over my front end. Looks like my front brake lines are leaking.Can anyone recommend a source for ordering brake lines?

I'm in Canada.

Thanks
Where are you in Alberta? I have a spare set that I got off of Ebay to fit my 08 with ABS here in Lethbridge. They are sitting in my garage and I don't need them. I bet we could come to an agreement. ;)

Worney

I'll send you a PM as well.

I'm betting that the oozing liquid is fork oil from leaky fork seals! I have never heard of leaking brake lines on an FJR.
What he said. My YZF-600R currently has a greasy mess on the right fork, and the brake caliper is damp with oil. Whipped out the flashlight and started looking around...and the fork seal is weeping. It's actually leaking enough that it left a small puddle of oil under the fork. They haven't been touched in a few years, so I'll pull both forks and take them to Race Tech for a refresh.
I'd be surprised if it were brake lines actually doing the leaking.

However, if you do choose the replace the brake lines, you might as well go with the Galfer s/s line kit as opposed to OEM. I installed the Galfer kit on my '12 last summer. It's a shitload of work, but I'll never have to worry about the brake lines again.

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it.

I need to find the source of the leak first, but now I know to have a really good look at the forks.

@Worney: I'll reply to your PM

Brake fluid doesn't 'play' nice with paint; if some of this fluid is on you tupperware, and you don't have paint damage, this might also suggest fork oil.

UPDATE

Well, it's the left fork seal! You were right.

There was more oil around the brakes then the fork seal, so it was misleading. Gravity + the wheel spreading it all over.

Ordered, received, and used Seal Mate. I can't tell if it's permanently fixed, but it certainly got the leak under control.

Thanks so much for all the helpful suggestions. Saved me a big headache and $$. And no paint damage either :)

Agreed. New seals are ordered.

A little apprehensive as I've never taken the forks apart before. Having said that, I want to do it myself.

Dude, if you've lost that much oil, you need to take it apart to replace the oil anyway.
Maybe. Maybe not.
It's amazing what a gigantic mess just a few ounces of fork oil makes when it's all over your front wheel and brake. I had a pretty bad gusher going on my old '05 on one group ride. When I got the fork off later to do a thorough seal cleaning * with a home-made sealmate I found that the level had only dropped a few mms.

The air headspace in a fork is only important in that it determines how much progressive "air spring" effect you will get as the forks compress. There is no way that the level would drop enough to actually influence the damping at all. Those valves are way down into the oil. So losing a little oil would just make the spring rate feel a tad softer.

* I do recommend removing the fork leg to do a thorough job of cleaning the seal. I have done it on the bike in a pinch (at the side of the road) but with the fork leg off the bike you can work the sealmate into the seal and all the way around it, better. You'll want to remove the guard and dust seal first.

There are two lips to the oil seal. Try to swipe just the outer lip first with the tip of the sealmate, and get the majority of trapped road spooge out first, then really dig in past the second lip to clean that one afterwards.

@RossKean: thanks for sharing that excellent link. Exactly what I needed.

@Fred: The mess is impressive. I used SealMate and it helped, but still leaks some. Plus, I bet it's the original oil and it's a 2007...

Changing the oil is easy and relatively cheap. At 10 years, it REALLY has to be changed; even if there aren't a huge number of km on the bike. What is the mileage on the bike? If it is fairly high, I think I would swap out seals and bushings. If fewer than 80-100,000 km, I might try removing the forks, doing a really good job with the Sealmate, flush with a bit of oil and refill the forks. The oil will be unbelievably gross looking if it has never been changed. If you can't resolve the leak, go back in and do at least the seals but probably all three bushings in each fork while you're at it. You could probably re-use the fresh oil so it wouldn't be a complete waste.

https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=47

Here for just a fork oil change. This was for a Gen I so the fill level is different, I believe for Gen II.

Thx for the suggestion Ross. There's about 40000 km (25000 miles) on it. Don't you think the bushings should be replaced? I did read they can be a pain. I could replace just the seal I guess.

@ 40,000 km, the bushings are likely showing some wear but they are probably OK. If the seals can't be brought back using the Sealmate, they will have to be changed. 25,000 miles isn't a lot for a fork seal and I would do my best to see if they can be restored. If the lip is nicked, you won't be able to bring them back. Make sure you don't have major scratches on the fork tubes.