FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Special Request of Participants and Watchers of this thread

Please refresh your browser sparingly during the Iron Butt Rally. If the forum experiences slowness--every time you refresh it only makes it worse for you and everybody else.
Also, for riders support request, please create another thread in this area. They need separate conversations and not cross-posted to this analysis/tracking thread.

Thank you.

FJRForum Management

-----​
FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Tidbits confirmed on the way:

• 6/23 "117 riders will be on 107 motorcycles" "scheduled to roll out Monday morning" ....."now 106" - John Harrison Day-3 Report
  • About 325 bonus locations are possible. The bonus lists for the whole rally was presented as a sprial bound notebook to riders at the beginning. However, the points for each bonus are given on a separate sheet at the beginning of each leg.
Strings, Categories, and Multipliers

A key element beyond the typical getting points for a bonus involve multiplier schemes for doing a certain amount of bonsues in certain categories

• In Leg 1 riders had the option of pursuing three bonuses from a single "category" in their packet. The third and final bonus scored in that "string" doubles in value (but not all of three). The five categories of bonuses are believed to be Air, Water, Land, Mythical, and Prehistoric. Example is if they get a 1, 1, and 300 point bonus...they would earn 602 points for the three total...not just 302.
  • In Leg 2 riders were given the additional (or alternate option...not sure if it's one, the other, or both) of pursuing four bonuses from different categories with the 4th one tripling in points. Example is if they get a 1, 1, 1, and 300 point bonus...they would earn 903 points for the four total...not just 303.
  • in Leg 4 riders were given another option of (I believe) three from one category and two from different categories with the 5th one quadrupling points. Whatever the specific combination it adds another layer of complexity and opportunity as the rally progresses. Example is if they get a 1, 1, 1, 1, and 300 point bonus...they would earn 1204 points for the five total...not just 304. (the examples are purposely skewed to a mythical 1 point bonus to accentuate the math)
  • Another detail I believe to be true: If you accidentally do any other bonus during a string (i.e. rest bonus, call in bonus, or some other stray traditional bonus) you interrupt it and have to start over.

Aggregate page for SPOT Tracking
https://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=429

2017 IRON BUTT RALLY HEADQUARTERS/START
Minneapolis Marriott West
9960 Wayzata Blvd, Minneapolis, MN

Friday, June 23
Official daily reports are scheduled to begin by a new, virgin IBR Scribe at https://ironbutt.com/2017ibr.cfm

Alternate website: https://ibr.wvi.com/

They don't publish a list of riders before the rally.

Saturday to Sunday, June 24 to 25
Check-In, Technical Inspection, Riders Meeting
If you want to visit and see how the IBR works--this is probably the best time. Riders will become more serious and focused starting Sunday afternoon and evening.

Monday, June 26
Motorcycle Impound 8am
Rally Start 10am CDT

CHECKPOINT 1
Wednesday, June 28, 8pm - 10pm
Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center 210 East Stacy Road Allen, TX
Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01pm
Scoring opens at 5pm
Leg 2 Bonuses distributed at 4am, June 29

CHECKPOINT 2
Saturday, July 1, 8pm - 10pm
Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center 210 East Stacy Road Allen, TX (same location as CP1)
Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01pm
Scoring opens at 5pm
Leg 3 Bonuses distributed at 4am, July 2

FINISH
Friday, July 7, Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01am
Minneapolis Marriott West (same location as start)
Scoring opens at 5am
Finishers' Banquet 6:30pm

Past IBR Reports
2015 IBR - https://ironbutt.com/ibryear.cfm?y=2015
2013 IBR - https://ironbutt.com/ibryear.cfm?y=2013

etc.

In the past IBR threads (almost 8 years worth, starting in 2007 IBR), we have tried to keep the threads up-to-date and current as much as possible. Ignacio will manage the thread and after Warchild releases all IBR riders at the Monday morning start, he may be on the road for some time and may not have much day-time communication.

Special Note
The single best tip we can offer is that the Iron Butt Rally is focused on the hundred or so actual riders in the event. The organizers, volunteers, and all of us on this thread will be focused on rider needs and making sure they safely get home to their loved ones. While we have the privilege of a special virtual seat here, I cannot stress enough that the Iron Butt Rally is...about....the...riders.

Plainly speaking, it's not about us watchers. So, we're not going to add any drama that potentially distracts from riders' experience and safety...or the event organizers...or the stated goals of the Iron Butt Association.

As a 3-time rider myself I thank you in advance for supporting the IBR riders in what will be the ride of their life. / Matt

Here we go......

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep..... here we go....

Flying to Minneapolis in a couple hours.

Let the Torment Begin!
mace.gif

Our first photo! Some riders having lunch. These tend to be the smarter riders...getting there early and having time to decompress and sort out any sock/fecal matter issues. They're watching other riders make their way to the starting line.

Thanks Erik for snapping the pic.

IMG_4126.jpg

Ready, waiting, popcorn, libations, anxiety. Monitoring the forum box too.

Ooooh... so the pic is of riders IN this years rally?

Jim O? I know Ken is riding this year too. BMWs are looking to take this one (The RM is also a BMW rider)

Is Josh riding this year? So many questions....

Ooooh... so the pic is of riders IN this years rally?
They could also be riding, volunteering, spectating, or rode all the way to Minnesota to be in a picture just to mess with you.
wink.png
We just know they're in a lunch picture, and will find out probably Monday they post rider names on the website.

It would be nice to know the ages of the riders. I am not sure if that's something they want to divulge. Me being in the latter stages of life I don't know how these guys & gals do it. My hat is off to them.

Good luck to them all,

Dave

What makes it bad at my work is a coworker is also a FJR riding forum member so our office will have 2 of us hitting F5 throughout the day.

JK Iggy, we read your warning.

Much appreciation to the FJR Forum crew for providing this service for all of us lurkers. Expect the USAF to come to a stop for the next 10-11 days as I focus on reading about the participants in the 2017 IBR.

Best,

Lumpy

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.....HERE WE GO!!!

I have 4 friends riding this year's IBR, and I can't/won't divulge their names. But I will say that 3 out of the 4 are on the best motorcycle ever made
bike.gif
rolleyes.gif

Can't wait for the rally to begin

There is one rider who lives just around the corner from me...WOOHOO!!!!

Headed to Allen, TX, on Tuesday for the checkpoints there......most bang for the buck for me and my grandkids. Be on the lookout for the orange and white welcoming flags, riders!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts