FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a rider in Terlingua Texas right now, and it looks like another behind him. I wonder if the famous goat is a bonus?

tumblr_l5k56mMXu41qcoeqso1_1280.jpg
A classic bonus from nearly all the Waltz Across Texas Rallies. Back then he, his son, and his grandson (in turn) were all duly elected Mayors and often the bonus included, "Buy the Mayor a beer".

Looks like the rider in Long Island got a motel room in Plainville, NY. Would have been one hell of a hard ride to get back before he would have been disqualified. Break downs suck.

I see the rider on Long Island is on the move again.
Looks like they are playing it smart and taking a rest bonus to wait out the traffic. Gonna have a heck of a ride ahead.
Well he's taking a rest but I don't think there'll be any bonus with it.
no2.gif
Looking at that Spot map I had a feeling something wasn't right.

He got the bike inside the dealer just in time before they locked the doors. They think it's clutch related but they'll tear into it first thing in the morning. (Didn't surprise me to hear that when you consider the long miles capped off by the bumper-to-bumper traffic he found himself in.) The shop there has a good reputation so hopefully he'll be treated well.

We looked and found a decent hotel not too far from there. Understandably he was looking forward to just getting into his own room and showering, making calls, etc., just generally decompressing. Actually was in good spirits considering. I got the feeling the hardest part wasn't the lost time or points but just not being able to make the check-point and therefore be a finisher. Btw, he was headed towards the last in a string for a whopper triple point grab.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the rider on Long Island is on the move again.[/qiuote]
Looks like they are playing it smart and taking a rest bonus to wait out the traffic. Gonna have a heck of a ride ahead.
Well he's taking a rest but I don't think there'll be any bonus with it.
no2.gif
Looking at that Spot map I had a feeling something wasn't right.

He got the bike inside the dealer just in time before they locked the doors. They think it's clutch related but they'll tear into first thing in the morning. (Didn't surprise me to hear that when you consider the long miles capped off by the bumper-to-bumper traffic he found himself in.) The shop there has a good reputation so hopefully he'll be treated well.

We looked and found a decent hotel not too far from there. Understandably he was looking forward to just getting into his own room and showering, making calls, etc., just generally decompressing. Actually was in good spirits considering. I got the feeling the hardest part wasn't the lost time or points but just not being able to make the check-point and therefore be a finisher. Btw, he was headed towards the last in a string for a whopper triple point grab.
As I said in my last post that sucks. Lucky that he got it in the door before they closed, to bad they would not stay late and get him fixed tonight. I have heard of other dealers doing that for IBR riders.

So there *is* a good bonus on LI, then? I was thinking it had to be something at the end of a string to make it worth it to attempt that in rush hour.

That was nice that you were able to go help him get to a hotel, etc.

Greg Rice is out. :(

"Due to things I could not change I had to drop out of the Iron Butt Rally. ...

No matter how well I was doing I could not allow that to take precedence over getting bake safe.

I am unhappy about my decision but I do not regret my decision.

I am pissed off about it but I still don't regret my decision.

Better to live and fight another day.

I hope everyone has a great safe ride.

Good luck to James Owen ( Jim )"

RJ said: BTW, found my Team Meese T-Shirt from 2011, I think I may have to sport that for the next week.
Pictures or it didn't happen.

There are rules, RJ.

JSNS

TempMeeseShirt.jpg

The cheering continues in Renoville USA.

Pulled the Team Meese shirt out of RenoJohn's Moto-bike Historical Society vault .....Only 7'ish straight days to wear this shirt, then it'll go back into the vault.

RJ

Damn, that shirt must have quite an odor about it by now...
wink.png

And who is that young lady? Looks like Grace but has she grown up that much??

TempMeeseShirt.jpg

Pulled the Team Meese shirt out of RenoJohn's Moto-bike Historical Society vault .....Only 7'ish straight days to wear this shirt, then it'll go back into the vault.
RJ

RJ said: BTW, found my Team Meese T-Shirt from 2011, I think I may have to sport that for the next week.
Pictures or it didn't happen.

There are rules, RJ.

JSNS

TempMeeseShirt.jpg

RJ
….So how did that work out for you (?) (In '11 that is)

Wasn't that the year Team FJR started a little steak of their own. JSNS

Another long road ahead is the rider stopped on marathon key. 21 hours no traffic or stops.

The lone rider down in the keys is our very own Steve Bracken!

I just arrived in South Padre for the holiday weekend. I was tracking spot on my drive down from San Antonio. Managed to see a rider going northbound just a few miles south of Corpus Christi. Then spotwall showed three riders down south all at hotels. One in raymondsville and 2 in San benito. I stopped at all 3 locations just in case I could see them playing around with their bikes and hopefully lend a hand if they needed anything. All of them were tucked in for the night, so I settled for snapping a couple of pics of their bikes. 1 R1200RT, a Tenere, and a GS. I'll upload them when I figure how to upload directly from my phone.

If those bikes could talk....

Here's an alternative to those trying to predict the routing and worried of over complication in the last leg, 'NO STRINGS' attached. Would he?

I'm curious why folks thought that the beer drinking goat mayor doesn't fit the theme?

As always, the FJR forum is THE place to be for IBR watching. Very sorry to hear about the rider in LI. In the shop's defense, he needed to be on the road right then and there to make it in time for the check point, no? AND he would have had to get through all that holiday weekend traffic first. I'm just glad he was able to get to a shop and a motel.

Super sorry to hear about Rick Snyder and the container falling off a truck. WTF is up with that???? What a way to end your rally. I wonder if it was a sea container, the big 20 or 40 foot things they stack up on container ships?? That's insane if so and someone needs a good lawsuit. You just have to secure that thing properly. He could easily have been killed if he were in a slightly different location when that thing launched.

I love how much fun "Team Almond Joy" is having! With the right personalities, I'm sure it can be a total blast. I'm equally sure, I wouldn't count myself as having that personality :)

I'm totally guessing, but I think that the spot on the group page on I-81 in Stephens City, VA right now is more likely to be Rob Nye, or someone heading home. I think, but could be wrong, that Rick Snyder lives up this way as well. Pretty sure he's the guy who does the MD2020. Can't imagine anyone still in it heading north on 81 at this point!

I'm curious why folks thought that the beer drinking goat mayor doesn't fit the theme?
(snip)

I'm totally guessing, but I think that the spot on the group page on I-81 in Stephens City, VA right now is more likely to be Rob Nye, or someone heading home. I think, but could be wrong, that Rick Snyder lives up this way as well. Pretty sure he's the guy who does the MD2020. Can't imagine anyone still in it heading north on 81 at this point!
Rick Snyder was just going to try to get to Houston, TX last night, and take his time getting home in PA. The bike is obviously rideable, but he is pretty sore (he was checked out by EMT). The "container" he hit was a 4'x4' plywood type box that another vehicle had already hit. If I understand the situation, he was on his way to a Motel after getting a gas receipt.

I hope Earls didn't overthink this one. It's difficult to follow a lot of this just sitting in my office, let alone after being on the road for eight days (yes, I've done rallies before). There can be a point after which it isn't fun anymore
The riders I've been chatting with are all saying really awesome thing about the rally. One said it's the best IBR ever and said it will be very tough to match this one. (he's ridden many).

I asked if leg 3 was in his head yet and he said: "No, won't be until the point values and string scenario (assuming strings will be in play for leg 3) are known" He said this rally is beyond belief if you really want to take on the challenge and see what you've got, but he also said for the rider who wants to finish an IBR, it's not at all daunting.

"Really, this rally has something for everyone" were his words.

Leg 3 will be wild for riders IMO. Most all of them should have their brain around this unique format. They'll have 5'ish uninterrupted days to play moto-bike (wow!), departing Texas and eventually arriving back in the USA (MN). They'll have the whole continent as their playground. I'm guessing the fatigue, loneliness and mental challenge from the bonus listing will be tough. I bet there will be plenty of miles and smiles.

I think the results CP2 will be fascinating on many levels, please put me on the list of those very curious and eager to see what they bring.

crumb_truckin.jpg

Steve Bracken is officially out of the rally. His fbook post:

To all the wonderful friends and family who have supported my bid to ride in the Iron Butt Rally.

Thank You!

"I just called Lisa to let her know that I will not make the checkpoint tonight ... but she can read Spot too and already knew.

It's heartbreaking, and there will be a full and complete account later of what went right, and what I did wrong ... and what I didn't do wrong but it went wrong anyway.

In my 6 days I had a wonderful time and am very sorry not to be there for the final five. Had it been humanly possible, I wouldhave made it ... I really did try, and you can only imagine how I feel right now.

Thanks again"

I spoke to him last night as he was entering the Everglades. He indicated that he had made a timing mistakenthat he did not realize until it was too late. At the time of our cal (midnight CST), he had figured he needed to pull out a BBG just to make it to the checkpoint at 9:55pm. Of course, this is not counting fuel stops. He was eager to take on the challenge, but his spot revealed he had checked in to a hotel. Impressive run, and I think he made the right call.

The Key West trap always works no matter what. Every IBR, one or more go after it whether it really makes sense, or not. Rookies, veterans, all are subject to at *least* thinking about it briefly.

Probably has the same properties as the Bermuda Triangle.... some dark, unspeakable pull.... "come ride out to Key West..."
weirdsmiley.gif

Pushing too hard never works.

Good to see Steve making the smart move.

I have been to Key West maybe 30 times. It is a draining ride during the daytime. I usually ride it at night. That obviously was not possible for this leg. For the ones that made it ... congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts