Nitron R1 Shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRLoonie

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
With 81,000 km (50,000 miles) on my 09 it was well past overdue for a new shock. As the original gradually lost its magic (not to mention being under sprung for my weight to begin with) I guess I got used to it and just accepted it for what it was. Similar to tires I suppose.

After a bunch of research I settled on a Nitron R1. It is the base model but all of their shocks start out with the same basic components and add on as the price goes up. It set me back about $700 US and after a missed communication in the initial purchase, Nitron threw in free shipping.

Installation was fairly straight forward and with a little help from the wife (I know, the man-card is in jeopardy!) I had it installed in about an hour and a half.

I can't believe the difference. Already I'm entering corners faster and staying steady or accelerating through them when I used to slow down because the bike always wanted drift or wallow.

I am curious if forum members who have had the front and rear suspension upgraded independently did you feel that the front or rear made the most difference?

Not having any luck posting a pic at the moment.

I did the front first with Race Tech springs and gold valves. They improved the overall riding feel of the bike, but I didn't notice much in twisty rides. When I finally bought a used Wilbers and had it rebuilt and resprung for my weight, it was amazing. The way the bike handles through tight roads is amazing. A noticeable difference.

I don't know what would have happened if I had gone the other way, and done the rear first, but I think the cornering feel would have been way more improved with an OEM front and custom rear, than a custom front and OEM rear. The way the rear tracks and moves through turns makes a huge difference.

I'm still riding the stock shock @ 45k miles on my '08 on the firm setting. At 170 lbs. in street clothes and riding solo it still works OK for general riding but turn up the juice on a bumpy road and it shows its age. On the other hand, I did the fork right after I bought it (used with 14K) with Gold Valves and .95 springs to get the front end to behave to my liking. I road raced for 8 years and came to appreciate a well behaved fork as a greater benefit for my riding style. I'm pretty sure though that if I were riding 2 up with gear, a good shock would be a prime concern too!

I bought the Nitron, but for another bike.

My experience is the back AND front are much better with the shock alone. Especially with new fluid in the front.

I have the Penske, and Wilburs on other bikes. By far, I like the Nitron best.

Perfect out of the box and the swivel joint for the external hosed reservoir is awesome. Goes exactly and smoothly where I want it.

The bike is balanced so front and rear tire wear is even.

The new tires are air hogs so I keep the tire pressure up and consistent. Shock is near perfect to make the tires do what they are suppose to do.

I'll be very happy to see even tire wear front to rear. Typically I see the front scallop and the middle of the rear flatten out. Both end up being done before their time.