Rear shock for 2014 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just thinking of replacing the rear shock on my bike to either Ohlins,Wilbers or Penske. I think there are better prices around than down here in NZ so any advice on where i can get a great price on any would be appreciated. Definately prefer compression,rebound and hydraulic preload adjustability on a new unit.

Regards

gazza

You won't get hydraulic preload on a Penske - they don't offer it. Having said that, I don't really miss it on the FJR.

In NZ, Ohlins is probably your best bet for sales and support.

as regards hydraulic preload, it would be good to check how much range is available...on the Wilbers there is only a small amount of adjustment , if memory serves only 10 mm.- not enough to justify the extra $200..

as regards hydraulic preload, it would be good to check how much range is available...on the Wilbers there is only a small amount of adjustment , if memory serves only 10 mm.- not enough to justify the extra $200..
I'm going to go out on a limb here but most remote preload adjusters only have 10mm of adjustment....at the shock. However, because of the multiplier effect of the rear linkage, the adjustment at the rear seat that changes the rear sag is 20-25mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
after installing the Wilbers which I had them set up for my weight and sometimes over zealous riding I had about 55 mm of sag ...it took 3 turns on the collar to get down to 35-40 mm.. Mayhaps the remote hydraulic adjuster would be in addition to the manually adjustable collar? Anyhew...once I set up the preload I rarely change it...Seldom have a passenger unless she is a fox...

after installing the Wilbers which I had them set up for my weight and sometimes over zealous riding I had about 55 mm of sag ...it took 3 turns on the collar to get down to 35-40 mm.. Mayhaps the remote hydraulic adjuster would be in addition to the manually adjustable collar? Anyhew...once I set up the preload I rarely change it...Seldom have a passenger unless she is a fox...
It's been a while since I sold my Wilber's shock but it had a adjustable ride height nut on the bottom of the shock that changed the position of the shock in the chassis. It was set in the middle position when shipped and had a 5mm adjustment in either direction. The remote preload adjuster compressed the spring from the top of the shock and the change can be observed during and after the preload change so the total ride height adjustment was 15mm at the shock, 5mm at the bottom from the ride height adjustment and 10mm from the preload adjuster.

The Penske shock has a similar ride height adjustment at the bottom of the shock and a manually adjustable collar at the top of the shock that compresses the spring. The Penske manual preload change is pretty easy to do but not as convenient as the remote preload that is available on a Wilber's or Ohlins....but probably has a greater range of adjustment.

Thanks Guys. I had hydraulic preload (Ohlins YA707) on my previous 05 gen 1 model and found it fantastic when touring with wife on the back 46L Givi top box and side cases. Last trip i did on the 14 the lights were up in the trees and yes i do know there are adjustments for the lights but i didn't go there. Just thought a after market shock as i had previously would improve overall ride and would improve for touring. Does the YA707 fit the 14 Gen 2 models as well??

Regards

Gazza