Any Interest in an unorganized Out-n-Back run through ID?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I'd like to get together with some other riders for a fast, cheap 2 day ride-all-day then go home trip.

Meet in Dillon, MT on a Thursday night.

Friday, from Dillon over Lolo Pass, to Elk City, ID and Back, then down to Riggins. About 475 miles, tons of canyon carving along the rivers.

Friday Night at the Big Iron Motel in Riggins, ID, a clean place with $60 rooms and a complimentary beer on check-in.

Saturday back to Dillon with some variation on the route. Stay somewhere cheap in Dillon, like the Super 8 or Motel 6. If you travel in, we'll work out a way to leave some gear behind for the out-n-back to Riggins, so you can travel light.

Sunday back to wherever you came from, or if you're not a working stiff like me, onto your next adventure
smile.png

Ideally I'd like to get a group of 4-6 riders that enjoy a 'spirited pace' and are OK with quick breaks and limited stops along the way. My minimum # is one other rider lol...

Mid-late Aug weekend? Sept? I just did this ride this weekend, and it's epic on a fast bike like the FJR.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dillon,+Montana/Elk+City,+Idaho/Riggins,+Idaho/@46.042477,-115.5980571,8z/data=!4m25!4m24!1m10!1m1!1s0x535a06185ca050ab:0x722cf81e641efc04!2m2!1d-112.6389244!2d45.2166324!3m4!1m2!1d-114.080336!2d45.907359!3s0x5359396301e4efc1:0xe46ad68a67faf1f3!1m5!1m1!1s0x54a0aac2de5276eb:0x30804be2c7b80abc!2m2!1d-115.4367941!2d45.8268527!1m5!1m1!1s0x54a6c55ddc7fd9d5:0x835ef2ac6cb8432e!2m2!1d-116.315411!2d45.4221105!3e0?hl=en

That looks fun, I've road most of that except the road into Elk City. I'm about ready to run out of garage passes tho. :(

It would be fun to ride with you again. It would also be hard to not want to loop down and do the Banks to Stanley Rd then up.

My plan this weekend was to loop around through Stanley but doing Lolo twice did not disappoint (not my pics).

110802-7002Winding-Road-Sign-Lolo-Pass-Idaho.jpg

Riggins is a small town deep in the canyon with a gas station, a couple good bars and restaurants. Park the bike and walk anywhere.

08242.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I can't join you Spud, did a bit of that couple weeks ago, great roads. Don't forget Rattlesnake Pass. I'll be on my way home down under mid August.

Enjoy

White Bird Grade... JSNS. B)
Indeed! Serious presence of spirits and a feeling that something serious happened there, huh? And since Spud's route also goes right by Big Hole, . . .
I mean: great motorcycle roads, but once upon a time there was a serious bilateral misunderstanding that led to human tragedy and an eastward chase over much of that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do this run, consider the Sundowner motel in Dillon. It's super clean and a short walk downtown to food and drink. Stayed there two days ago, and it is inexpensive too.

hmm, daughter's softball tourney in Belgrade MT this weekend, or much needed Rest and Relaxation....

Been a tough week here at Oracle Bozeman.. I am bookmarking this but I don't think I can ride Friday Morning.....

hmm, daughter's softball tourney in Belgrade MT this weekend, or much needed Rest and Relaxation....
Been a tough week here at Oracle Bozeman.. I am bookmarking this but I don't think I can ride Friday Morning.....
A weekend in mid-late Aug or early Sept is what I'm shooting for. Check your calendar, you've got a great location to jump off and head to Dillon.

Spousal Unit and I rode the Lolo Pass road twice two days ago. We've ridden it 10-12 times before and it gets less and less fun. The condition of much of the road is poor, the speed limit is 50 MPH and the road is patrolled by some not so forgiving Troopers (they see the results of riders in over their heads all too often). Add to this that it was ove 100 degrees and it made for a crappy ride. For heavens sake don't ride it on a weekend or holiday unless you like riding in parades.

Spousal Unit and I rode the Lolo Pass road twice two days ago. We've ridden it 10-12 times before and it gets less and less fun. The condition of much of the road is poor, the speed limit is 50 MPH and the road is patrolled by some not so forgiving Troopers (they see the results of riders in over their heads all too often). Add to this that it was ove 100 degrees and it made for a crappy ride. For heavens sake don't ride it on a weekend or holiday unless you like riding in parades.
Thanks for the encouragement. I rode it Sat June 24 and Sun June 25, it was around 82 degrees, the rough pavement was avoidable in most of the corners, I got around slower traffic with no problems and the only cop I saw was assisting an HD rider that went off the road (ambulance came by a while after I passed, he looked OK to me but his bike was upside down). Sorry you had such a miserable time. I saw about 12 FJR's over the two days including a group of 6 in Grangeville, ID; I'm pretty sure I didn't see you as they all appeared to be having fun.

Thanks for the encouragement. I rode it Sat June 24 and Sun June 25, it was around 82 degrees, the rough pavement was avoidable in most of the corners, I got around slower traffic with no problems and the only cop I saw was assisting an HD rider that went off the road (ambulance came by a while after I passed, he looked OK to me but his bike was upside down). Sorry you had such a miserable time. I saw about 12 FJR's over the two days including a group of 6 in Grangeville, ID; I'm pretty sure I didn't see you as they all appeared to be having fun.
Cute......