Yosemite & Beyond - Risk Factor Style!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
About a year ago, there was some banter in a thread about Yosemite… many folks said they’d never been but had always wanted to see it so I suggested a ride/gathering there with great positive response… and so YFO was born. I did a drive out there in the fall last year and scouted out a couple of hotels and found the Mariposa Lodge which seemed to fit the bill for a lot of reasons… location, price, and being able to house a large group plus let us do a catered dinner in the parking lot… a date was set and the planning began all over the US… it seemed to take forever for the event to finally happen but happen it did… and here starts my tale of Yosemite and Beyond, Risk Factor style.

I had seen that Fred and Lyndel were in San Francisco so I contacted them and we met up in Livermore for coffee and to ride into Mariposa with them… it was also Fred’s birth day so I got him a little cake pop to celebrate…

20170601_163929-X2.jpg

it was a cool morning in the bay area and we started out along Patterson Pass, one of my local favorites to avoid the slab… you can tell Festar has ridden with me before so he knows what it means when my hand pops up over my shoulder…

IMG_7499-X2.jpg

IMG_7501-X2.jpg

IMG_7502-X2.jpg

We made our way across the central valley without too much headache although it did start to get quite warm… that lake was looking awfully tempting…

IMG_7511-X2.jpg

And then along the section of 49 deemed “The Little Dragon”… it was a good day and not much traffic to deal with…

DSC_4598-X3.jpg

OH BOY! I have been waiting for this!

And remember you are authorized to use photos of me. You don't have to clear it through my modeling agency or pay me for the use of them.
smile.png

What are you waiting for? Why aren't you finished?
uhoh.gif

We made it to Mariposa and stopped at the local store for some adult beverages… I asked the boys to pose for this photo… they didn’t see the sign above their heads… and it was Thursday... :D

20170601_163848-X2.jpg

I noticed a familiar bike out in front of the Mariposa Lodge which made it pretty easy for folks to figure out which hotel we were at!

IMG_7512-X2.jpg

And immediately after pulling in, we were greeted by these smiling faces… :wub:

IMG_7513-X2.jpg

The parking lot was a bit quiet but was quickly filling up as more and more folks arrived… this was really happening!!

IMG_7514-X2.jpg

I hopped into my room and found a gift on the table which resulted in a big smile and the knowledge that Redfish boys were nearby… I cracked a beer (isn’t the first sip of an ice cold beer after a hot day’s ride just the best??) and sat and enjoyed the fragrance and then decided it was time to shower off my own fragrant self before heading for dinner…

20170601_180816-X2.jpg

We had a small herd for dinner but the restaurant was able to accommodate us, food was good, and the company most excellent… well, when they weren’t on their phones checking Facebook… lol

20170601_194816-X2.jpg

Marty has a deformity on his right hand… poor boy….

20170601_194727-X2.jpg

The hostess came to our table with a wallet in her hand and asked if we knew whose it was… Marty and I took the situation in hand once we figured out whose wallet it was (cough, cough, Festar)…

20170601_203734-X2.jpg

4752-X2.jpg

We started to saunter back to the hotel when I noticed a trio of gents heading the other way… something real familiar about them… so I took a chance and yelled out a name… luckily it was who I thought it was and my heart grew a couple of sizes when I saw Joey/Pants, Andrew/Redfish, and Pop… they who had been through so many challenges and adversity to make this trip… they who fought and worked hard to make this trip happen against all odds… they actually made it and I was SO happy to see those three faces… I think everyone was given how we all had followed along after Pant’s crash and Pop’s miraculous recovery… Andrew could bearly contain himself…

IMG_7627-X2.jpg

Meanwhile, back in the parking lot, trouble was afoot…

IMG_7517-X2.jpg

Festar could sense it even if Nikki and Rich were oblivious…

IMG_7520-X2.jpg

I headed back to my room and got a text from LCB/Lisa… she was towing her bike out from the East Coast and had gotten a flat… I couldn’t reach her via phone calls but we could text and I tried valiantly to get a tow company out to help her to no avail… she was in the middle of BFE and it would’ve cost a fortune… thankfully, a good Samaritan had pulled over with tools in his truck and was able to replace the tire for her so she could get back on the road… she finally arrived in Mariposa around 9am and folks hopped to helping her unload the bike…

IMG_7521-X2.jpg

Next up… a day in Yosemite… B)

We had a good time didn't we?
rolleyes.gif

Awesome adventure T, looking forward to seeing the weekend and trip through your lens!

--G

Andrew's promptness has gone the other way. He is just a few weeks early for that IBR bonus shot!

Subscribed and more please.

What are you waiting for? Why aren't you finished?
uhoh.gif
Dude... don't make me come over there.

We had a good time didn't we?
rolleyes.gif

Awesome adventure T, looking forward to seeing the weekend and trip through your lens!

--G
We did indeed, G... glad you and the luscious Jill were able to join in the fun and then some (to come!
wink.png
)...

Andrew's promptness has gone the other way. He is just a few weeks early for that IBR bonus shot!
Subscribed and more please.
Do you think the bear would be the bonus or the other beast in the shot?
laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a warm day and probably somewhat crowded with tourists but Yosemite was the carrot that got folks out here and that is where we would go… I was given the task of leading a fairly good sized group into and around the park… having been there many times, I knew where I wanted to take folks to see some of the wonders of this place… as many times as I have been there, it never ceases to create awe and wonder… we headed up 140 out of Mariposa which runs along the Merced River…

IMG_7526-X3.jpg

IMG_7534-X3.jpg

Waiting for the one-lane traffic control section. Pants could barely contain his enthusiasm and it was obviously contagious…

IMG_7536-X3.jpg

There used to be a road under all that dirt and rock… I don’t know if they’ll ever clear it and repave it…

IMG_7539-X3.jpg

Bridge shot…

IMG_7540-X3.jpg

And then we came to the entry gate… the ranger was a little flabbergasted to see this large group of bikes… “You’re all together??” Yes sir, yes we are…

IMG_7546-X3.jpg

While waiting for everyone to show their passes, I took the first in a series of shots that I call “Pondering Pants”… just wait, my friend, we’re only beginning…

IMG_7547-X2.jpg

Rich/exskibum and Terrie coming through the rock tunnel with Pants not far behind…

IMG_7550-X3.jpg

Continuing along 140 and into the park…

IMG_7553-X3.jpg

IMG_7555-X3.jpg

And coming to our first waterfall… the falls were amazing this year with all the rain we’ve had as were the raging rivers… I haven’t seen it like this in years… in fact, there were waterfalls this year that I don’t think I’ve ever seen!

DSC_4611-X3.jpg

DSC_4615-X3.jpg

Group shot…

DSC_4622-X2.jpg

And then we dove into the masses… it was a challenge to find parking for the group but we tucked in wherever we could on the valley floor… here FJRay and Patti enjoy the splendor…

DSC_4623-X2.jpg

We skipped Bridalveil Falls due to crowds and continued the one way loop along the valley…

IMG_7559-X3.jpg

I found a big turnout with lots of room for everyone to park and we spent a few moments just drinking it in… “Pondering Pants in the Meadow”…

DSC_4625-X2.jpg

What he was pondering…

DSC_4630-X3.jpg

Yosemite Falls…

DSC_4627-X3.jpg

It was about this time that I pulled Andrew and Pop aside and told them a little story… every once in awhile, I get a swell of emotion… gratitude to be alive and to be able to experience that very moment wherever I am… sometimes it’s a little overwhelming and brings tears to my eyes… seeing these two together and being able to show them this amazing place resulted in one of those moments… and almost brought a smile to Andrew’s face… almost…

DSC_4634-X3.jpg

We ran into a traffic block and wandered the road while waiting for the work trucks to clear… spirits were not dampened (although a bit sweaty) since we were in one of the most beautiful places on earth… continuing around the valley floor, I led folks to one of my most favorite iconic views of El Capitan and the valley… I never tire of this place…

DSC_4638-X3.jpg

Seems Pondering Pants rubbed off on Rich/NorCalFJR…

20170603_000702-X3.jpg

Continuing along, we headed up for Glacier Point and stopped right before the tunnel for a full view of the valley… “Pondering Pants Gobsmacked with Grandeur”… I walked over to him at this moment and felt the overwhelming emotion… put my arm around him for a moment and just shared it…

DSC_4643-X3.jpg

Caught Sam/nightshine as he rode past…

DSC_4646-X3.jpg

Doesn’t happen often but Andrew was speechless… we enjoyed the quiet together…

DSC_4647-X3.jpg

And then we continued on toward Glacier Point…

IMG_7577-X2.jpg

Through the tunnel…

IMG_7581-X2.jpg

IMG_7582-X2.jpg

IMG_7587-X2.jpg

When we got there, they were diverting traffic to park about 10 miles away and take a tour bus in because the parking lot was overflowing… like good little doo bees, we stripped off gear and marched down to the waiting pad… Sam found a good spot for a rest while we waited…

IMG_7588-X2.jpg

After about 15 minutes, a ranger came up to us and said the parking lot was open now so we could ride in if we wanted to… didn’t have to tell us twice!!

IMG_7589-X2.jpg

IMG_7591.jpg

These two pics were taken as we descended upon Glacier Point… they just brought me a bit of delight as I saw those three bikes behind me…

IMG_7593-X2.jpg

IMG_7597-X2.jpg

Pants was in good spirits…

IMG_7594-X2.jpg

We found a spot for our trusty steeds and wandered out to the viewing point to see the grandeur of Half Dome… I thought I’d take a pic of father and son but for FFS, Andrew, would you at least pretend to be enjoying this?!?

DSC_4648-X3.jpg

I threatened to hurt him… so he finally smiled… it’s like pulling teeth, I tell ya!

DSC_4649-X3.jpg

“Pondering Pants on the Phone Sharing the Moment”…

DSC_4652-X3.jpg

Yosemite Falls from on high…

DSC_4654-X3.jpg

Lots of planes going overhead leaving contrails behind them that would stretch out over the valley like brush strokes against the sky…

DSC_4658-X3.jpg

DSC_4656-X3.jpg

We sat on a rock overlooking the view for quite some time and just enjoyed the moment, drinking in the beauty, before finally dragging ourselves away to head back for the barn (motel!)…

IMG_7599-X2.jpg

IMG_7601-X2.jpg

IMG_7618-X2.jpg

IMG_7620-X2.jpg

IMG_7625-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We arrived to find lots of tire kicking and, of course, Don/dcarver up to his usual antics…

DSC_4660-X2.jpg

This poor couple on the left was probably wondering what they’d gotten themselves into with the group that was in the parking lot…

DSC_4661-X2.jpg

Tall tales were told…

DSC_4662-X2.jpg

We mosied into town for dinner as Redfish had offered to buy me dinner and I ain’t no fool to pass that up (thanks, Andrew)! We encountered this sight which is unusual for us city slickers…

IMG_7629-X2.jpg

And had another stellar meal… have to say that Mariposa has some good eating establishments for being such a little town! Pants took a moment to relive his memories at dinner…

IMG_7632-X2.jpg

When we got back to the parking lot, there was a surprise waiting for the Louisiana boys… Josh/cav47 had originally said he wouldn’t be able to make it but, upon his wife’s insistence to GTFO of the house, he surprised his friends in the parking lot… I wasn’t quite quick enough to get an in-focus shot but the emotion was palpable as his friends saw him standing in front of them… either that or Andrew was threatening him which is also entirely possible…

IMG_7633-X2.jpg

Lots of frivolity and a revolving shampoo bottle that contained something that would clean out something other than your hair… and then it was off to dreamland with visions of Yosemite dancing in our heads…

To come… the Magical Mystery Tour to Dinkey Creek Bridge!

Tyler, GREAT pics. What type of camera do you use? How do you manage to take pics shooting forward and then rearward while riding? Just curious. Same question for the folks who have other great RR's.

Tyler, GREAT pics. What type of camera do you use? How do you manage to take pics shooting forward and then rearward while riding? Just curious. Same question for the folks who have other great RR's.
Thanks, VP... I use a combination of cameras... off the bike is either my cell phone or NIkon D5000, on the bike I use a small Canon Powershot P&S attached to a lanyard around my neck... it takes some practice as I have to shoot left handed... I take a ton of pictures that way and toss way more than I keep... takes some editing too to crop, rotate, etc.

Thanks, VP... I use a combination of cameras... off the bike is either my cell phone or NIkon D5000, on the bike I use a small Canon Powershot P&S attached to a lanyard around my neck... it takes some practice as I have to shoot left handed... I take a ton of pictures that way and toss way more than I keep... takes some editing too to crop, rotate, etc.
Same for me, I bought a smaller Canon PS that is sleek, smooth and small enough to easily get in and out of my chest pocket on the Tourmaster jacket. Hppants was kind enough to give me a lanyard/neck tether. That way I cannot drop it or lose it.

With the Cruise Control on my '15 I have the option of using either hand. I pull the camera out of the pocket, set it on top of the tank bag, and turn it on. I don't have to look at it, I just "aim" it. Experimentation and practice helps with this.

My only issue is that the power button is very small. I find it somewhat difficult to turn it "On" but very easy to turn "Off". This leads me to believe that my camera is a female...
weirdsmiley.gif