Slaying it...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRfarrier

Reaction score
When I started this adventure, I had no intentions of putting this ride into words. But as the miles went on… I realized this is a journey that needs to be shared.

July 4 is a holiday. So I had that day off. Luckily it lined up nicely with my “weekend” of Wednesday and Thursday. So a 3-day trip. To somewhere. I decided on the hills and twisties of Tennessee and North Carolina. I was just there less than 2 weeks ago- but I didn’t get to fully enjoy the whole area. Lol. So I decided to go back down there again.

Headed out Tuesday morning. Up and at ‘em with the rising sun, and headed south. Crossed the Ohio/Kentucky border and found some rain clouds up ahead. Checked the radar and sure enough- I was about to get wet!

450 miles after I got on the interstate- I arrived at the exit that leads me to some good stuff. Made my way to Tellico Plains – to the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway. But before I ventured onto the road and into the hills, I fueled up at the gas station. Fuel for the bike, and fuel for the human. As I stand there near my bike drinking a KickStart and playing on my phone... and older gentleman walks up to me and starts talking. Now he must be from way back in the hills- he had an extremely strong accent that made it hard to understand! One thing I could clearly hear him say “Where’s your husband? A fine woman like you would make a good wife.” HAHAHA!!! And with that laughter in my stomach… I ventured out, yes sir, by myself- into the beautiful roads.

S10C0024_zpswhghbb2l.jpg

S10C0043_zpsoouklfs3.jpg

Somewhere up there I rode into a cloud…

S10C0039_zpsqtpdmysy.jpg

I didn’t stop at any of the pull-offs or scenic overlooks on this road. I ride this road to “ride”. And after passing a few cars and trucks, I didn’t want to have to do that again.

Onto 129, I made my way to Deal’s Gap, and the road known as the Tail of the Dragon. Rode it up and back, and then pulled into the resort parking lot. Parked the bike, grabbed a snack, and sat down on a bench. It was a rather empty parking lot…

F7BC2BAB-72A3-4FE0-A744-0CD1A8438345_zpssieo36oo.jpg

Suited back up and headed south on 28 from there. Nice road along the river. Fog/mist/haze was hanging on the river basin. Very neat looking!!

C37E5458-3661-4438-9484-E12D8DDB3190_zpsxebaogih.jpg

You eventually get to Fontana Dam on this road.

C7F709D2-59C2-41AA-8A60-56E46706E968_zpsklfhrwqd.jpg

86D8DC87-842B-4A25-A4E2-931A1A2929D4_zpsvlueiuhk.jpg

I even drove across it! That was pretty neat.

Back on the road and making my way towards Robbinsville. That’s where I was staying for the night.

S10C0083_zpsanqfagc5.jpg

Here’s my evening routine once I get to the hotel- park the bike. Walk into hotel (in most of the gear) and check in. Go into room. Strip down to bare necessities that are still decent for the public eye. Go back to bike and bring in remaining items needed for the night. Explode everything around the room. Lol.

9E9BDB40-0A6A-4703-BFFA-3FB4EF47CBA1_zpsr1kphjzg.jpg

My room had a beautiful view... But it makes me wonder how that ding-a-ling parks a full-sized vehicle if that is how (s)he parks a bike…

692F2E47-81EC-4299-9AF4-C89BD02C41F1_zpsscbtoa0q.jpg

Asked the front desk lady what would be a good place to eat. In her super sweet manner, she said that all the good stuff is closed for the holiday. Fast food was open – so a walk to Wendy’s was good enough for me.

450 miles of interstate + 180 miles of twisties = 1 extremely happy young lady (ME!)

The next morning, I was up and packed and out in the nick of time! As I’m pulling out of the hotel parking lot, it started to rain big plopping drops. So I booked it east and outran it. Made it over to Cherokee, where I took 441 up through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I really like this road. It’s not a road to “ride”, it’s more a road to “view”. Many parking lots and pull offs to admire the scenery.

This side of the pass… pretty, just a little wet.

7F7B61AA-1706-4BB2-A552-046866AC4767_zpsayno5zoc.jpg

On the border- Newfound Gap… wetter, in the cloud, can’t see the view.

F4497064-0045-482F-8667-4443EBA5B89F_zpsdhocrhgk.jpg

The other side of the pass… pretty, again. Lol.

0D32DF1E-35BF-41E3-B951-5D8177F215CE_zpsdrvupoti.jpg

Down in the valley, the road ran along the river/creek. Beautiful area. I pulled over. I needed a mental break. A moment to think and to thank.

F65E5E5C-A19C-46DD-983C-A19EFDC0A43E_zpskxvxu5xh.jpg

Eventually made my way into Gatlinburg.

“On the night of November 28, residents of Gatlinburg, Tennessee, found themselves in the midst of a nightmare. Within hours, a small blaze had erupted into the worse fire in the Smoky Mountains in a hundred years; forcing thousands to flee, and leaving 14 dead. Months later, the tourist town is bouncing back.” -Fire on the Mountain, Justin Heckert

A999782F-A5FB-48A9-AEC8-D1524B5DD82D_zpsg0vpabwq.jpg

In just over 7 months since the ordeal, the town is looking great. Tourism was still strong- even at 9am on a Wednesday morning. In 2014, I stayed at the Westgate Resort just north of Gatlinburg; my aunt has a timeshare there. The resort took a large hit from the fires. To see the area where those buildings once stood, was sombering. But, they are rebuilding!

So after driving through and gawking, I turned around and headed back into the park. Kinda. I take the little bypass road that is quite nice, and it drops me into Townsend. From there, I take the Foothills Parkway – which I absolutely love! – and that drops me onto 129. Turn left, and within a few miles you’re at the north end of the Tail of the Dragon. Run it once more! Pull into the resort – lots more bikes there today!

B7B6345D-F7E0-44BB-977B-769925F2BCC6_zps2zizh9lx.jpg

Pull out the pringles and the trail mix, and sit on the bench. Man comes up to me, says “shouldn’t you be riding with the IBR?” Lol! I’m crazy, but I’m not insane!! (yet…) After some talking of Aerostich, which he recognized me from- AH!, and FJRs- he has one, come to find out he recognized me from the forum. Phew, not just a random stalker… Chatted with him- nice to meet you “Bill Lumberg”!

After a brief break, it’s back on the bike and headed north. Call it vain- but I enjoy riding the TofD for the sole joy of getting my picture taken. It’s cool to see what you look like from the side of the road. And this makes the 4th year in a row that I have made it down there- I get a year sticker each year, and a photo that shows the progress in the bike, in me, and in my riding style.

The first year I was there, 2014-

3FA8E280-1C04-4FEB-9A5D-4D24B93A1D7D_zpswt1qtb2l.jpg

This recent trip, 2017-

1611041_zpsu91eltqu.jpg

Up into Maryville, and then over and up into Oak Ridge. (Is this where The Oak Ridge Boys got their name from?)

Anyways, as I pull into the area, I see dark clouds, and lightning. Check the radar and realize it’s about to hit. Find a McDonalds on the map, and route to it. I was about 5 minutes too slow… it started to pour buckets and buckets of rain. Roads were flooding, and the lightning and thunder was quite intense. Park the bike, grab the tank bag, and run into McDonalds. Strip the helmet and suit, grab a burger and sweet tea and wait until the roads clear up.

95D5E3CC-E881-4B86-B53B-414E0EE77D7B_zpsfswctuhx.jpg

My next road destination that I was aiming for was a section of road labeled the “Devils Triangle”. I had already picked up a sticker (not applied it to the bike yet) at Killboy’s store. Talked to my parents while sitting at McD’s. They had ridden it sometime last year. My mother sternly told me not to ride it in the rain…

So I waited until it stopped raining. Well, the storm that had rolled through had some strong wind and rain with it. That left quite a few obstacles and debris strewn throughout the road.

Capture204_zps6gimqgrv.jpg

I will gladly and openly admit that I am not a big fan of twisties. I enjoy them, but I am cautious. And slow, for the most part. So you add in wet roads?- even slower and more cautious. Add in debris?- even slower. Add in flashbacks to Arkansas?- white knuckled and even slower. Slow enough to have a logging truck pass me.

But you know what? I made it to the other end alive and in 1 piece.

After riding through a few of the shoulder mud run-offs across the road, I started to ask myself- why am I doing this? Oh, just for a sticker? Is it worth it?

When I passed the first tree branch across the road- will it get better? Will it get worse? Do I turn around now knowing that what I went through is at least doable? Or do I continue on and see what’s around the next curve?

Capture201_zpsyxaerm6e.jpg

Well, it was another big branch down. And more leaves, twigs, and rocks in the road. And many more shoulder mud run-offs across the road.

Here I was, alone, on a large loaded bike, on a road that did not get many vehicles…

Capture202_zps0wtlqwrw.jpg

It seemed to be getting better about halfway through. At that time, I passed (going the other direction) 2 large cruiser dressers that were 2-up. In my mind, I figured, well, they must have come from the other end. And if they made it through, then I can. And at that same time, should I wave them to stop and warn them about what I just went through? But maybe it gets worse? Well, they aren’t waving and telling me to stop… Come to find out- it got a lot better the farther I went on the road. And now I feel bad for not warning them of what they were about to encounter if they continued that direction. I hope they made it okay.

S10C0149_zpsgkmsreva.jpg

S10C0155_zpsxpc1r6bv.jpg

Came across a town- Rocky Top, TN. A mention of this town is in a few songs that I know. So that brought on a karaoke session in my helmet for a bit…

2634A2A2-B2F5-496D-82F2-4886463DCB6F_zpsokjifslr.jpg

Finally I made it to the interstate. My happy place!!!! And after dodging all that nasty debris… I thought I would be okay on the highway. So I’m cruising along in the left lane, crest a hill and see a multitude of colorful dots slowly bouncing around the road. Balloons!! There were balloons in the road!!! Carefully dodged them- I didn’t want to find out what a balloon would do to a wheel or a set of brakes…

Capture205_zpss7kfcmrs.jpg

Made my way to London, KY for the night. Checked into the hotel, exploded, showered, and walked next door to a Huddle House. First time ever eating at one of those- pretty good! Couldn’t decide on wanting breakfast or dinner- so I had a bit of both! Country fried steak, eggs, hashbrowns, toast. YUM!

3D10F7E8-8E1B-4390-A0D8-921741EFFEEE_zps0hraht9q.jpg

340 miles of mostly twisty roads for the day- I was pleased.

The next morning, wakey wakey! Check the radar and realize a rain was just ending, with a bit more still sitting to the north. So I wait a little longer, and then make my way out. Girl at the front desk checkout had a good smile. (To me) “You’re on a motorcycle?!” (To her coworker) “I gotta see the bike that this chica is riding!” Oh! And at check-in, they gave me donuts and a bottled water that had my name on it! So cool!

F6CB10B9-49FA-4DB5-9CB1-FC3E4607DBA2_zpsqcbnsouc.jpg

Headed north and made it to Cincinnati when I realized I was about to get hammered with rain. Big yellow and red blob on the radar just sitting there on the I-75 corridor. And stretched to Columbus; where is got a little lighter, maybe more just the green stuff. So I veered northeast and made my way to Columbus. Zigzagged up and over and up and over- the whole time watching the radar and aiming for the least rainy spots- while also keeping an eye on the GPS. I had somewhere to be at a certain time. Sure enough, made it through the boroughs and to the north and out of the rain.

I wanted to head to Fremont, OH- to the dealer where I had bought the FJR. It has been 4 years with this glorious bike. Pulled into the parking lot, and took a picture that “recreated” the first picture I have of my bike. Big difference!! Lots has changed in the 4 years!! Salesman couldn’t believe the mileage and the riding that I have accomplished. I thanked him for not just selling me a bike- he sold me a lifestyle, and a happiness.

0B7C7207-0B4A-48F5-B1FB-64B21259E63C_zpspkjkea7m.jpg

After that, I needed to make my way home. Short blip home from there. Pulled into the driveway with 1,415 miles on the trip meter. But it was so much more than just a mile counting trip. It was a recharge for my soul and mind. It was just what I needed – and definitely wanted. Just me, the bike, the road, and nature.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=15360595ee1efb0033&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Great report. And yes I'm not a random stalker, I'm a fjrforum stalker! My wife has been a little reluctant to visit the dragon with me. That couldn't possibly be because of the peg dragging pictures from killboy over the years. This thread reminded me to look up my photos from Wednesday. Yes, it's vain, but its also a marker in time. I still have photos of other bikes I rode there for the first time. And I get new ones every year. I travel enough for work that I never end up going to any of the meetups, and I hate that. So Dragon photos are about the only ones there'll ever be of me on the bike. Glad you made it safe and got dry. I got caught on Burnt Mountain in a monsoon and blinding cold fog a couple of years ago on the way to Apex Cycle in Ellijay. It was not fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to laugh at the 2014 Tail of the Dragon photo, 2 up, with your passenger hanging on to a Coach purse :) Too funny :)

Nice ride report! Anytime I am in Columbus it's mandatory to spend some time at the Iron Pony.
It was quite a shock to me that I did NOT stop at Iron Pony! I mean, I was so close....

But, I had somewhere to be that had a time restraint- and I was cutting it close.

And I didn't have anything on my shopping list... though that never stops me any other time!! Lol.

I had to laugh at the 2014 Tail of the Dragon photo, 2 up, with your passenger hanging on to a Coach purse :) Too funny :)
Good times.... good times.... Lol

I have to laugh that you recognized the Coach purse!!

And she was a pretty good pillion. She'd take pictures while riding and at stops, open snacks while on the road, and genuinely go along with whatever I wanted- never once complaining!

Great report. And yes I'm not a random stalker, I'm a fjrforum stalker! My wife has been a little reluctant to visit the dragon with me. That couldn't possibly be because of the peg dragging pictures from killboy over the years. This thread reminded me to look up my photos from Wednesday. Yes, it's vain, but its also a marker in time. I still have photos of other bikes I rode there for the first time. And I get new ones every year. I travel enough for work that I never end up going to any of the meetups, and I hate that. So Dragon photos are about the only ones there'll ever be of me on the bike. Glad you made it safe and got dry. I got caught on Burnt Mountain in a monsoon and blinding cold fog a couple of years ago on the way to Apex Cycle in Ellijay. It was not fun.
Exactly!!! A "marker in time"!

And maybe you should try really hard to get to a meet-up. Like this fall...

I figured it's worth a shot of trying to convince you- since it worked with the Aerostich jacket and sleeve pocket!

And if you ever need the Spot (which hopefully you won't), you'll be glad to have it on you and not on the bike or scattered wherever.

Nice report Julie - was reliving the trips I've taken over there. Hopefully we can put together another fall AR ride and you all can come over again for some more white knuckling!

Nice report Julie - was reliving the trips I've taken over there. Hopefully we can put together another fall AR ride and you all can come over again for some more white knuckling!
oh, I am planing on getting back to that area this fall!! But not the white-knuckling. That was not fun. (I am referencing the water crossing incident that occurred in AR.) That's what kept flashing through my mind when I was crossing the water and mud on the Devil's Triangle....

Thank you for the report. I miss that area and its been a while since I have been down there. I stayed at the Westgate also for a week and did nothing but ride the area on the bike. Sad to here it was lost due to the fire. Good to know they are rebuilding. I was hoping to go back to that resort but now I know why it wasn't available. I traveled the same roads many times. You can't beat it.

Love the seat,

Dave

Good Stuff Julie. Thanks for sharing.

I at least partially agree with your redneck friend, you ARE a fine woman. I am not qualified to make any comments on the Good Wife part though! You do make an Awesome Friend and that is more than enough.

I have been enjoying seeing your pic on the cover of the Aerostich catalog. And in the Aerostich magazine advertisements. You make a great Cover Model.

Now I am mad at you. I have that damned song in my head. "Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee..."

I'm from Tennessee. I went to UT Knoxville. During football season, the most played song anywhere you went. As I child, I imagined that the two strangers who visited Rocky Top, in search of a moonshine still, never came down because they became so enamored with the area, and with the restorative qualities of moonshine. As an adult, I was forced to conclude they were killed and buried ala Copperhead Road. I ordered a few hi-res prints this morning from the dragon. Saw a number of shots of a well dressed rider crossing and recrossing on her trusty blue steed as I was searching for my shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my seat cover!!! It's just so... ME!

Thank you for the report. I miss that area and its been a while since I have been down there. I stayed at the Westgate also for a week and did nothing but ride the area on the bike. Sad to here it was lost due to the fire. Good to know they are rebuilding. I was hoping to go back to that resort but now I know why it wasn't available. I traveled the same roads many times. You can't beat it.
Love the seat,

Dave
Thanks! Yeah, that resort is absolutely gorgeous! And they aren't holding back at all on the rebuild- still beautiful and moving along quickly!

Nice report Julie, I love riding that area too. I see you have your tank installed!! And what a lovely seat cover you have.
Tank is awesome!!! Extremely happy with it!!

Good Stuff Julie. Thanks for sharing.
I at least partially agree with your redneck friend, you ARE a fine woman. I am not qualified to make any comments on the Good Wife part though! You do make an Awesome Friend and that is more than enough.

I have been enjoying seeing your pic on the cover of the Aerostich catalog. And in the Aerostich magazine advertisements. You make a great Cover Model.

Now I am mad at you. I have that damned song in my head. "Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee..."
You're welcome. It's a good song, ya know... Lol.
haha.gif

And it's a surprise to me when I see anything from Aerostich that has a pic of me. "Hey! That's me!"
bye.gif

What's strange is for a totally random stranger to comment on me being a good wife! Just such a weird observation - and was not expecting it!!

I'm from Tennessee. I went to UT Knoxville. During football season, the most played song anywhere you went. As I child, I imagined that the two strangers who visited Rocky Top, in search of a moonshine still, never came down because they became so enamored with the area, and with the restorative qualities of moonshine. As an adult, I was forced to conclude they were killed and buried ala Copperhead Road. I ordered a few hi-res prints this morning from the dragon. Saw a number of shots of a well dressed rider crossing and recrossing on her trusty blue steed as I was searching for my shots.
I was surprised by how many FJRs I saw in the pics from the photographers for that day! and all different colors!