New SENA helmet coming soon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a problem with manufacturers combining functions. This is an electronics company. Do you trust them to build a proper safety helmet? I expect that they are farming out the helmet build to someone. Who? Is it Shoei (surely not) or more likely, some budget brand manufacturer, and then you'll pay a premium for it because it comes from Sena.

I will wait to hear reviews of the performance, but there are some difficulties with employing active noise cancellation in helmets because the noise source is not from outside the helmet where it can be sampled and cancelled acoustically. The noise is mostly the wind interacting with the helmet itself, so is very localized. A microphone sampling the noise at the front of the helmet would not accurately reflect what is happening at the ear ports. You'd have to have sampling microphones at each ear port to get any kind of accurate noise sample.

And what about when one of the Bluetooth modules shits the bed. New helmet time? Or is the electronics repairable or replaceable?

I also didn't see a modular option yet, but that may be in the works already?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I read some where that the noise sampling mics were located right next to the helmet speaker areas. If that's indeed the case it could be the ideal location for establishing the noise canceling algorithm .

IMHO, Fred is right about the combining of systems. If the electronics die, can one buy new electronic hardware and re-install? If the helemet gets banged up or just needs replacing, can one buy an empty shell and move the electrics over? Buying necessary parts, instead of replacing an entire system would certainly be more economically sound.

What I have never figured out is the ear pads inside a helmet. My dumb Scorpion EXO1000 let's me pump up the cheek pads, which is uncomfortable as all Hell. However, what if the ear pads were set up in a way they could be aired up and seal against the wearer's head, basically closing off the wind noise, like ear muffs.

I know people's heads differ, but a little bit of adjustability would create a good fit for 95% of riders. I think THAT would be useful.

I believe I read some where that the noise sampling mics were located right next to the helmet speaker areas. If that's indeed the case it could be the ideal location for establishing the noise canceling algorithm .
That would be good. I did not see anything to that effect on the web site. But it would actually require sensor microphones at each ear speaker to be effective since the noise sources are so localized.

.. not dissimilar to active headsets used for shooting, which are quite effective as they are not actually cancelling the noise of the shot, but rather passing sound up to a certain level to be repeated thru the speakers. They reduce sound with or without batteries, about as well as a pair of basic ear protectors.

That still requires a snug fit onto the ear to be effective - as HRZ suggested.

The diagram shows the speaker and sensor microphone both in the ear cup. If electronics are swappable, helmet is of good quality (and fit) and price isn't too outrageous it would be of interest to me. More so if available in a modular. What's the likelihood of the initial version meeting all those criteria?

However, what if the ear pads were set up in a way they could be aired up and seal against the wearer's head, basically closing off the wind noise, like ear muffs.
That's already available as an add-on, or built-in to a helmet. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/172110-quiet-ride-hearing-protection-muffs-review/

I've been using them for a couple thousand kilometers, still very happy. I've been on mission lately to improve comfort. Customized VStream to smooth the airflow around my head, the Quiet Ride muffs, Airhawk seat pad, and tweaked handlebars to suit. Being more comfortable on the bike makes me feel a lot younger. :)

I ride almost exclusively wearing a pair of custom molded 2 speaker ear plugs. They work awesome. Last week I did an experiment and removed the ear plugs and just tried to use the speakers in my helmet and it was terrible. Low volume, wind noise and just not comparable at all to using the ear plugs. My helmet is a Shoei RF1200 and I'm using the SENA 20S for every thing. Maybe I don't have the speakers placed in the optimum position but in helmet speakers just don't cut it for me.

Sena has paired with Schuberth to provide a replicable modular integrated system:

Schuberth SC1 Advanced

Developed in collaboration with Sena, the Schuberth communication system SC1 Advanced is small, lightweight and fully integrates into the outer shell of the Schuberth C4 and Schuberth R2 helmets. All the same features of the SC1 Standard, the Advanced has longer usage time and can be used with further distances between riders. Music sharing and FM radio features are standard on the SC1 Advanced. Easy to install, the Schuberth SC1 is plug and play, just remove the cover at the back of the helmet, place the SC1 communication unit and battery in their slots, and you are ready to roll.

Features:

• Airtime: up to 14 hours
  • Standby: 1 week
  • Intercom conference: 4 riders
  • Bluetooth standard: 4.1
  • Bike to bike intercom: less than 1,600 meters (depending on terrain)
  • Bluetooth sources: 2
  • Music sharing: yes
  • Automatic gain control: yes
  • FM radio: yes
  • Charging time: 3 hours
  • Mobil app: iOS, Android
  • USB cable: included
  • Fits Schuberth C4 and R2 helmets
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-sc1-advanced

I didn't understand it at first, but the Schuberth SC-1 is only the comms, and costs $350 if you buy it from Revzilla.

You still have to buy a Schuberth hat, and they're $750 at Revzilla.