Front end rattle 2016 FJRES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogervogel2017

Reaction score
Front end rattle 2016 FJRES. Very noticeable at low speeds rough streets and gravel. Sounds like my wife's car keys are laying on the front fender. After hours of trying figure this out, the only thing I notice is that the brake pads rattle in the caliper. I hope someone has some advice, this rattle is driving me nuts! Thanks

If nothing's loose, it's the floating rotors. Wear ear plugs or ear buds, and a full-face helmet. My bike makes all kinds of weird noises when I can hear it.

My 2016es rattles too. On mine it's the saddle bags, grab them they will rattle . I just use the ear plugs and a sena 20s and it doesn't bother me anymore.

My annoying rattle came from the headlight adjustment knobs...I stretched an O ring around the base of each knob to shut them up...

Years ago, a fellow rider gave me a little bell, which is supposed to ward off evil crash spirits or something of that sort. I zip tied it to my license plate - it can't hurt and there's no point in tempting fate.

Without ear plugs, I hear it rattling around back there...

I just bought a 2016 ES and the rattle drive me nuts on the 5 mile trip home! I found the source to be the brake pads. I simply pulled them out - they were dry on the back. I smeared brake grease on the back, reinstalled and the rattle is almost gone. 15 min job.

My 2015 rattled and it turned out to be the stearing head bearing nut was loose. FYI, there is a special tool and procedure to follow in order to properly torque.

While diagnosing another riders FJR for front end rattle I advised him that it was probably his brake pads or rotors. After further investigation we found his front two gas tank screws near the steering head were loose causing the noise.

For a while in my first summer with the FJR I had not so much a rattle, more like a creak. Searched and searched- it was the visor of my helmet. Lowering the windshield to get more air caused it.

I just bought a 2016 ES and the rattle drive me nuts on the 5 mile trip home! I found the source to be the brake pads. I simply pulled them out - they were dry on the back. I smeared brake grease on the back, reinstalled and the rattle is almost gone. 15 min job.
I take this back. After driving it for a few more weeks, this is definitely still an issue. I have not had time to look into this yet, but I will! I cannot imagine that this is an acceptable sound/feel...I rode my 2017 ST1300 yesterday, and man did I enjoy the silence while driving slowly over potholes etc...

<snip> I take this back. After driving it for a few more weeks, this is definitely still an issue. I have not had time to look into this yet, but I will! I cannot imagine that this is an acceptable sound/feel...I rode my 2017 ST1300 yesterday, and man did I enjoy the silence while driving slowly over potholes etc...
Mortenk - If you haven't checked yet, put the '16 on the center stand and lift the front wheel off the ground. Give the forks a good front to back chuck and see if the head bearings are tight.

Happy to assist if you're interested. Shoot me a PM.

--G

I know its different generation but when I bought my 2012 slightly used someone had been in the head bearing and decided they didn't need the rubber washer and discarded it. Would be fine for 150 miles and then loosen up. Called where I bought it and told them there is a part missing and causing a problem. They picked up bike, fixed the problem and brought the bike back to me. Just something to rule out?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Mayhem454" data-cid="1392458" data-time="1521595220"><p>

I know its different generation but when I bought my 2012 slightly used someone had been in the head bearing and decided they didn't need the rubber washer and discarded it. Would be fine for 150 miles and then loosen up. Called where I bought it and told them there is a part missing and causing a problem. They picked up bike, fixed the problem and brought the bike back to me. Just something to rule out?</p></blockquote>

Theres more to this story: what about the metal retainer?

The rubber washer doesnt really do anything other than

prevent you from over tightening the upper nut.

tap the front tire with a rubber mallet , you can apply the fromt brakes and repeat, see if the noise can be tracked down.

people guessing what someones specific noise is may or may not apply. Better to figure out a procedure to diagnose your noise.

I seem to be suffering this mystery ES front end rattle as well on the 2018 matte blue bike.
not_i.gif

Mortenk has accurately described this clucking sound. It is particularly noticeable over small bumps, driveway lips, small potholes, etc.

I am hard-pressed to think a factory new bike with less than 1000 miles on it suffers from loose steering stem bearings, but damn if the symptoms don't line up almost perfectly.

I want to disassemble the handlebars/triple tree like I want a hole in my head, so I need to exhaust all these other possibilities here first.

I know it's not the two forward fuel tank bolts.

I don't think it's the calipers - but I'll give them a good look anyway.

Back in the Day, we use to be able to remove the triple tree and leave the handlebars in place. Not so sure this is the case on modern-day ES bikes, since they have a wire harness connected at the tops of the forks - what an ass pain this will be, if I have to actually adjust steering head bearings.
sad.png

So I am hoping I find it is something else.

I used to get noise from my 03 on my 3/4 mile dirt road. I found lightly dragging the front brake would eliminate the noise. Just a thought.