Corbin Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dravnx

Reaction score
I'm doing a ride in this Friday for a Corbin seat.

Looking for tip and tricks.

Anyone get something they didn't think was of value.

Something they wish they had gotten?

I'm leaning towards vinyl and having the seat narrow at the front. I have a 29" inseam and want to get away for that sitting on a barrel feeling when my feet are down.

"I have a 29" inseam and want to get away for that sitting on a barrel feeling when my feet are down", that is a pretty good description of how I feel when sitting on my Corbin! I have a Gen 2 07' that came with a Corbin seat. Shortly after my purchase I started to study the seat shell construction with the intent of trimming the foam from the sides to take out some of that "barrel". My conclusion was, trimming the foam would not overcome the width of the shell and therefore not offer in great improvement. With that said, I'm not that familar with Corbin seats, other than I have one, so perhaps they have another thinner shell, or perhaps the shell can be trimmed, which is something I have not tried. Now I have the bike up for sale, so I'm not going to experiment with the seat. Hope you find something that you like from Corbin.

You do know that Corbin seats are VERY hard, right? I rode on one for a short period and it was more comfortable than the stock seat, but no where near as comfortable as I had hoped it would be. It was hard. I mean hard. If they have different options on hardness, I'd scale it back some for sure. That's from my butt to yours.

I have leather and heat. Like has already been said. I feel like its better then the stock seat. I put alot of miles on my corbin but its nowhere as nice as a russell.

ed

I've had Corbin seats on many of the bikes I've owned. The one I got for my FJR ('06) was narrower in the front than the stock one, and was not as "boxey" (The edge of the seat would wear into my thigh after 30 miles).

I have a 30" inseam and could not get both feet flat on the ground with the stock seat, but could with the Corbin.

You want them to make it narrow in front like this.If you tell them they can do this for you. As the stock seat is separate pieces for pilot and passenger, I only got the front seat, my wife said the stock passenger seat was fine for her. It looked a little weird as they did not "match" but first day I owned it we did a 500 mile trip. My butt never complained. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had Corbin seats on many of the bikes I've owned. The one I got for my FJR ('06) was narrower in the front than the stock one, and was not as "boxey" (The edge of the seat would wear into my thigh after 30 miles).I have a 30" inseam and could not get both feet flat on the ground with the stock seat, but could with the Corbin.

You want them to make it narrow in front like this.If you tell them they can do this for you. As the stock seat is separate pieces for pilot and passenger, I only got the front seat, my wife said the stock passenger seat was fine for her. It looked a little weird as they did not "match" but first day I owned it we did a 500 mile trip. My butt never complained.
smile.png
This is exactly what I'm aiming for. I had a Corbin on my Vstrom and really liked it. I also don't want my butt fixed into one position as in the Laam or RDL tractor seats.

Love my Corbin as long as the ride is less than 350 miles. Did the ride in and had them makes the seat for my 30 inch inseam. It pushed me closer to the tank but I wanted that. I made sure that the fitter took the time to adjust the seat to suit me. Don't let them rush you. I went with leather with vinyl sides and had the rear covered to match. This seat has stood up really well over two FJR's and many years of use. Good luck.

I also did the ride in seat build at Corbin and am very happy with it. The stock seat was unbearable. I've done 8-12 hours days on the Corbin seat no problem. They give you the opportunity to ride on the seat a little before they cover it. Definitely take advantage of that and keep doing it until they get it right. If you end up with a leather cover, don't forget to get their leather conditioner. A little goes a long way and my previous Corbin seat that was 10 years old and saw 75k miles of sun, rain and snow still looked new when I sold the bike and all I did was occasionally wipe on that conditioner.

My previous Corbin seat seemed harder than my new seat on the FJR. Even my wife commented from just pressing down on it that it seemed softer than my previous seat from them so they may have changed the formula or added something to it to soften it up from the ones in the past.

Like you I wasn't flat footed with my 29-inch inseam. The unmodified Corbin seat dropped me down a little getting me pretty flat footed. A friend who previously owned an FJR sat on mine and asked if I had Corbin make me a short seat because it felt lower than he remembered and described it as feeling more like he was sitting in the bike versus on the bike. So you might be getting what you want with a stock Corbin without needing to modify it.

I'm doing a ride in this Friday for a Corbin seat. Looking for tip and tricks.

Anyone get something they didn't think was of value.

Something they wish they had gotten?

I'm leaning towards vinyl and having the seat narrow at the front. I have a 29" inseam and want to get away for that sitting on a barrel feeling when my feet are down.
When your riding into have your seat done, stop into a Home Depot. Have them pull a 2X8 out of the wood department and sit on it for a while. That is how your seat is probably going to feel. Not only is the seat hard but the bikes vibration will transfer through to your butt, spine and teeth. After you leave Home Depot, ride back home and Call Russell and schedule sending your seat to them. You teeth will thank you.

I bought a Corbin seat, It was hard for the about 1000 miles, then it conformed to my ass and I love it. I did not get leather but a carbon fiber vinyl color it looks good and fit like a glove. I guess I was lucky I know some people hate thiers.

I have a Corbin as well. It is firm but I find it very comfortable. As stated above, after 1000 miles on it has conformed to my butt very nicely.