North to Alaska 2019 - Once there were Twenty now there are SIX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
Schedule Revision as of 02/13/19:

June 10th - Spearfish to Helena MT 8 h 36 min (529 miles)

June 11th – Day at Pterodactyl’s

June 12th - Helena MT to Eureka MT 5h15m 295 miles

June 13 - Eureka MT to Radium Hot Springs BC 3 hours(150 miles) or onto Banff Intentional short day to allow for late arrivals, repairs, maintenance etc.

The more I look at this I think we should move to Banff, rooms likely a bit more expensive but Scenery better,

Shortens next days ride allowing more stopping and posy sniffing along Icefield Parkway, Lake Louise etc.

June 14th – Banff/Radium Hot Springs to Grand Cache AB 6h 54 min (354 Miles) allows for sightseeing; Lake Louise, Icefields Parkway etc.

June 15 - Grand Cache AB to Fort Nelson BC (gain one hour) 8h 17 min (478 miles)

June 16 - Fort Nelson BC to Watson Lake YT Stopping at Liard River Hot Springs for a soak 6h 50 min (319 miles)

June 17 - Watson Lake to Whitehorse YT Short day to allow for Sight Seeing in Whitehorse 5h 11 min (272 Miles)

June 18 - Day Off in Whitehorse

June 19 - Whitehorse to Dawson City YT, 330 miles all paved

June 20-21 Dawson City YT for the 27th Annual Dust to Dawson (D2D) Gathering check it out on Adventure Rider under the Alaska Thread

June 22 - Dawson City to Fairbanks AK via Top of the World Highway and Chicken AK, TOK AK 185 Miles half gravel to Chicken then all paved to Tok and on to

Fairbanks AK another 202 paved miles.

? Day(s) in Fairbanks? Maintenance/Tires/Haul Road to the Arctic Circle

Add another day in Denali?

Add a day in Anchorage later on?

June 23/27 - Fairbanks to Denali National Park

June 25/28 - at Denali https://www.princess...hna-experience/ This is but an example - do some googling

June 26/29- Denali to Anchorage 4h 15 min (250 miles)

June 27/30 - Anchorage to Homer 4h 15 min (221 Miles) lots of scenery along the way

June 28 or July 1 - Homer to Valdez via Ferry from Whittier to Valdez 3h 15 min 188 miles Homer to Whittier

Departing: Whittier (WTR)

Arriving: Valdez (VDZ)

Duration

Vessel

Fri, Jun 28 at 1:30 PM

Fri, Jun 28 at 7:15 PM

5 Hours
45 Minutes

MV Aurora (AUR)

Mon, Jul 1 at 1:30 PM

Mon, Jul 1 at 7:15 PM

5 Hours
45 Minutes

MV Aurora (AUR)

Fares: 7’/8’ Motorcycle $139/$140 / PAX over 65 $61/ Under 65 $81

June29/July 2 - Valdez to Haines Junction YT 10 h ) min (544 Miles) a Long day, but aside from Destruction Bay, not many other good places to stop.

June30/July 3 - Haines Junction, YT to Haines AK 3h 0 min (150 of the most beautiful and spectacular miles you will ever ride in your life)

July 1/July 4 - Haines to Watson Lake or Junction 37 (the start of the Cassiar Highway) 8h 15 min (339 Miles)

July2/July 5 - Watson Lake to Hyder AK. 9h 45 min (410 miles) Probably stay in Stewart BC at King Edward Hotel.

July 3/July 7 - Morning in Hyder looking at the Grizzly Bears and Glaciers

At this point I'm not exactly certain what I'm going to do:

Option A:

On to Vanderhoof BC. 7h 45 min 375 miles

July 4/8 - Vanderhoof BC to Kelowna BC 8h 30 min 480 miles

July 5/9 - Day off the Bike or optional Day Ride to Nakusp, Revelstoke, Vernon and back to Kelowna 8h 00min (339 Miles)

July 6/10 - Kelowna to Eureka MT 8hr (427 miles)

July 7/11 - Eureka to Helena for a Stop at Pterodactyl's Helena at the Outpost for BBQ, Irish Whiskey, lies etc...

July 8/12 - Helena to Spearfish via US 12/212.

Option B:

July 3/7 On to Prince Rupert BC 6 hours (288 miles) via BC-37 S and Yellowhead Hwy W/BC-16 W

July 4/8, Ferry from Prince Rupert BC to Port Hardy BC - Fare last year for a Motorcycle and one passenger was $199 + $176 = $374

Prince Rupert to Port Hardy

Dates

Departure

Stops/Transfers

Arrival

Vessel

July 2019 PR to PH Ferry Runs on even-numbered days

7:30 AM

1 Stop Bella Bella or Klemtu

11:30 PM

July 5/9 Port Hardy BC to Victoria BC - 309 miles 6 hours

July 6/10 Victoria BC to Port Angeles WA 2 hr Ferry 1030, 1500, 1930 $43 booked online

July 7/11 TBD
July 8/12 TBD

July 9/13 TBD

Last edited by a moderator:
I maybe, I was planning to do an Alaskan trip in 2018 but moving and changing jobs may push it a year so I will keep an eye on this.

Would be interested. Lots of time to figure out how to make it happen

IN. For real. I'm assuming you've done your homework and late May is a good time e.g. weather, mosquitos, etc?

IN. For real. I'm assuming you've done your homework and late May is a good time e.g. weather, mosquitos, etc?
The last 2 weeks of May and first 2 weeks of June are the driest time in Alaska. Typically the chance of rain is a 1/4 inch. Also you are getting into the longest days of the year. We are planning to do it again next year, 2018 and go all the way to Prudoe Bay this time. We will be leaving the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend and take about 18 days round trip covering about 7000 miles.

We just returned. Left Tenn on June 7th and returned a week and a half ago. Second trip for myself and first for my wife. Plan on taking heated gear if you leave that early. Days were in the 70's and nights into the low 50's and upper 40's. Bring long johns if you camp. We used them for the first two weeks until it started to warm up a bit. Similar experience when I did the ride in 2014. Have fun and good luck on the ride. It is a trip of a lifetime that should be on everyones bucket list.

Hotel or camping?

Fjr, Super10 or 690R?

How big of a group?

Funny talkin Massachusetts Hillbilly allowed to play?

Last edited by a moderator:
At then age 68 I'm not thinking about sleeping on the ground, did that this year on the KLR.

I'm doing FJR.

Group size - what im trying to determine.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bigjohnsd" data-cid="1372977" data-time="1500141133"><p>

At then age 68 I'm not thinking about sleeping on the ground, did that this year on the KLR.I'm doing FJR.Group size - what im trying to determine.</p></blockquote>

Well you didn't say

HELL no Hillbilly

I'll have my fjr ready and I'll pack light

It's on my bucket list, so I'm interested, but I can't commit yet. I'd like to do it on the FJR, but I've also seriously been considering doing it on the Ural. I'd have to trailer the Ural out to Washington though.

Sounds very interesting. A trip to Alaska is definitely in my sights but I don't know when. (Not even sure what I am doing in terms of a trip semi-planned for next week so events two years from now are not an immediate concern.) I think 2018 is more likely for me but you never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.