Here I Go Again...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRfarrier

Reaction score
I am headed out again this summer!!! And because it is easier to recall the day’s adventure that same evening (rather than at the end of the trip), I will be doing another ride-n-write journey report.

For this trip, I will be heading to Colorado. And I will be in the state for 10 nights- 2 of those being at the SW-FOG shindig. This trip will not have the huge mileage days that I am used to racking up. Instead the days will be filled with seeing and doing and visiting.

-Seeing the scenery. Being mesmerized by the beauty of the state and of the Rockies.

-Doing things. Taking time to ride a freakin’ awesome swing at the Cave of the Winds! Stopping at overlooks, and centers, and exhibits, and parks, and natural wonders.

-Visiting people. Like an old college friend that I haven’t seen in 2 years. And a fellow FJR rider that I met online and then in person 2 summers ago, and again at NAFO last year. And of course, hanging out with old friends and new friends at SW-FOG.

This trip will be a soul journey. I plan on realizing how blessed I am to be doing what I am doing.

The mountains are calling… And I must go. ~John Muir

20170719185309-6e971dec.jpg

For most of my overnights, once in Colorado, I will be staying in the same place at least 2 nights. This takes away from the feeling of being rushed, and having to “break camp” every morning.

I even invested in a larger tripod for my camera. I plan on using it.

So, if anyone sees a girl on an FJR driving slow, looking around, and then pulling over on the side of the road… don’t mind. She’s just going to set up the tripod and take pictures. She’s just enjoying life. Lol.

20170719185309-9174ec3c-me.jpg

And yes, this trip will be me mostly riding alone. Would you expect anything different from me? Lol.

This will be pretty similar to a trip I did in 2015. I rode to Colorado for my vacation. I enjoyed myself. Will I be seeing anything new? Rocky Mountain National Park will definitely be new. Otherwise, not much. But just because I have seen it before, doesn’t mean I fully immersed myself in it.

And I look forward to sharing the view from my helmet with everyone here. That includes pictures and thoughts of the day.

20170719185308-7c9238ba-me.jpg

Quick summary-

1 2012 FJR – odometer reading 79,000 miles

1 28 year old female motorcyclist

15 days

Maybe 5,000 miles?

Maybe 9 states? – none of them new to me

I plan to leave Ohio at 0’dark thirty the morning of Wednesday, the 26th of July. And head west.

Follow me on the spotwalla link- clicky clicky

So go ahead, click that little subscribe button up there… and grab the popcorn… because it’s about to get good folks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on you! Safe travels, and I look forward to following you and your ride reports along the way. I've been jonesing myself for a motorcycle adventure. So I will live vicariously through you until then.

Craig

So envious. I have been kicking around heading to Colorado myself, from pa, but I fractured my radius forearm bone (non bike related) so need to keep the riding on the light side for a while. I lived in denver in the 90s and miss the rocky mtn high. Do stop and smell the sage on the western slope. Enjoy the journey and be safe.

Looking forward to the rest of the adventure! Safe travels Julie and I look forward to seeing you at EOM.

Of course I'm subscribed. What else am I supposed to do while trapped in this 4x4 hell hole all day?
coolsmiley02.gif

Safe travels Julie. As always, we're with ya in spirit!

Some of my very best memories of riding involve Colorado. If you are near Colorado Springs there is a superb state park on the slopes of Cheyenne Mountain. Relatively new location with laundry and showers. The view overlooking the city at night can be breathtaking and you can hear the sound of reveille and taps being played at Fort Carson near the base of the mountain.

Safe journey. I always travel solo and have never regretted it. Most people think I'm nuts too. I like it that way.

P.S. I'm a native Buckeye. Dublin, Ohio.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have sworn I just posted a comment here, but must have hit something other than the "Post" button. But in case there end up being two--sorry. Just wanted to tell you, Julie, as far as I'm concerned, you're one KICK ASS FJR rider! Good for you with your adventures and the major miles you're piling up. And if you come into CO via Denver, or get a chance in any way, climb Mt. Evans! What a cool road, and so are the approaches to it from either east or west. Have a GREAT trip! (I'll be watching too.)

Ride safe!

Yes, get to Mt Evans. Great trek up that mountain and great picture opportunities.

RMNP is worth the trip, for sure. Be prepared for lots of tourists.

Can't wait for the ride report!

Watch the west side of RMNP when you get into Grand Lake. I got Boss Hogged by the Sheriffs Dept there once: stop sign obscured by tree branches at an intersection where the merging road was given right of way. The cop who issued the citation didn't show up for the hearing, I had photos of the intersection, and the crooks still fined me!...knowing it was cheaper for me to pay the fine than to appeal it.

Thanks everybody!! I'm getting pretty excited!!

And yes, I hope to get up Mt Evans this year! The first year I was in the area, the road to the top was closed. Last summer, I was in the area, but the weather was not pleasant, and I was cutting it close on time to get home. Maybe 3rd time is the charm?

Trip Prep

Saturday July 22, 2017

Time for new rubber!!!
Going with a set of the Bridgestone T30 Evo GT.
Also doing an oil change and a final drive fluid change.
20170722112508-4f21e449.jpg

And yes, it looks like dad is doing all the work… but that isn’t true!! I just stopped working to take a picture.

Also worked on a protective covering for the auxiliary tank. For if/when I put a dry bag on top of it. Keeps the nuts/bolts from rubbing through the dry bag.
20170722142518-0ca1c70b.jpg

And then worked on making my helmet stand out a bit more. I recently got a new helmet- and it is just silver. I missed my hi-viz helmet. Lol. So reflective tape and hi-viz got applied to it.
20170722151621-3fefda0e.jpg

I’m liking it…

Day 1!!!

So I got a little later start than I had originally planned. I guess I valued sleep more than an early ride. Lol. So I headed out at 7am.

20170726190233-dabd2219.jpg

And made my way west. Out of Ohio! See you in 2 weeks!

20170726190234-023df417.jpg

Hello Indiana!

20170726190235-5eda1b6c.jpg

And the travel was mostly smooth. I ride rather cautious, and I usually am always watching “the other guy”. So as I was following behind a pick-up truck in the left lane, we were passing a semi truck that was in the right lane. I get up almost to the semi’s cab, and I can see his left turn signal turn on. Ok, so I think he is going to wait until I pass him. Nope- I see his wheels starting to cross the dotted line. Holy crap!! He’s coming into my lane!!! I start laying on the horn, and move to the left, ending up on the thin shoulder riding the rumble strips. Quickly gassing it to get in front of him and move back into the lane in front of the semi. I believe that was the first time I have ever been run off the road like that. I didn’t even get a chance to look up into the driver’s seat of the cab as I was passing him- I was too worried about that shoulder and getting back onto the road safely. That got the heart rate going- and really got me rattled.

I also hit a few construction zones which took the 2 lanes down to 1. Mostly kept moving. A few times I had to waddle. And then I hit this area. Waze said it was a “major accident” up the road a mile or 2. Had the chance to get off, stretch, eat breakfast, and then we were moving again.

20170726190235-cd53a96e.jpg

Oh! Quite impressive! Truck and trailer hauling wire coils or something looked to have hit a semi- and stuff was strewn all over the median and the shoulder and some on the road.

20170726190237-429a1833.jpg

Into Illinois!

20170726190235-7ba494ea.jpg

And then around St. Louis and into Missouri!

20170726190236-3d48f40f.jpg

Stopped and shopped for a bit at the Cycle Gear in St Louis. It was just off I-70, and I needed a few things from there.

20170726190236-8cad4c9c.jpg

And also came across a vehicle of some sort on fire in the ditch! Wiped out a large chunk of the guard rail too!! It must have happened just in front of me- no first responders yet and people frantically running around. Will be curious to see a news article about that.

20170726190237-342a932f.jpg

Into Kansas with rain.

20170726190236-977957c3.jpg

And then to Topeka for the night. Dinner at Freddy’s, and then the hotel. Made it in about 7:00pm local time.

20170726190236-ce4d5493.jpg

Patty melt, fried pickles, and a PB cup concrete. yum!

20170726190236-ef8cb4a8.jpg

It was a good day!

780 miles on the trip meter. Stopped for gas twice, shopped once, and stopped for a face shield dilemma once. Otherwise, stayed on the road and moving.

Oh, and here’s a funny for you. Lol.

I seem to explode when I go into a hotel room…

20170726201717-7d14cde6.jpg

And no, Pants, there is no underwear in this picture. Hahaha!!
haha.gif
lol.gif

Heat-Out gear draped over the TV, water jugs on the microwave, clothes bags (newly re-organized), suit strewn out on the floor, and laptop open on the bed. Helmet and tank bag are just out of the picture- on the desk near the door.

Latest posts