What to look for in an 05 FJR ABS purchase.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesjammer

Reaction score
Local dealer just received an 05 FJR ABS on trade for new Wing. I'm definitely not a mechanic, but what should I have checked out or trouble shot before purchase. The bike has 36K for miles. What problems, if any, are common in this year FJR? Thanks for all answers.

Steve

Have the dealer run the SN to determine that all recalls (e.g., TPS) are done. Make sure the CCT Is fresh. And the one thing I'd really hope for: that the bike was diagnosed as a ticker and fixed.

Read up on Gen.I exhaust valves "ticking". The OEM exhaust valve guides resulted in erosion in a small percentage of 2003 - 2005 FJRs. After Warchild and others here got their attention by documenting the problem, Yamaha stepped up and did head jobs with new exhaust valve guides for $0, even when out of warranty (in USA at least, and back a while). The tick could occur after a few thousand miles, a few tens of thousands, or not at all. Mine was around 23,000 miles and fixed around 29,000.

If a tick occurred and it was fixed, you have the gold standard. If it never was diagnosed, make sure it isn't ticking and hope that the odds mean that you have a non-ticker well into the future.

Also make sure the ABS cycles for the front and rear brake. The dealer can jumper it to activate, or you can take it out into a dirt parking lot and hard stop one wheel at a time from a slow roll (without dumping it!). Have the dealer replace brake fluid in the cylinders, lines, ABS block and clutch. Lastly, make sure the first required valve check was done (@~26,000 mile), and that adjustment isn't required now. Make sure that the spark plugs, oil, filters and gear lube are fresh or within spec.

Otherwise - the 2005 is pretty free of problems and a lot of bike for what price they bring nowadays. Good luck - that bike very well could be good for another 150,000+ miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, All things above are excellent advice! Mostly ask for maintenance records, and look for a valve check.

Also, Since you are in MN and lot's of friends nearby, feel free to contact me or others for a little help.

I usually start w/ Craigslist or Cycletrader to see some comparables, then go to the dealer w/ some ammunition for bargaining. Fall is coming and bike sales are slowing, and everyone knows this. Try to NOT be emotional when buying, but decide what you want, and go get it ! Lastly, ask for a test ride w/ used bikes. Be prepared... this is the nicest bike I have ever ridden... and I have ridden quite a few. Be sure you are aiming straight before goosing it. You don't want to buy a crashed bike.

Enjoy the process...
punk.gif

FWIW, I sold my beloved 05 last year with 75k on the odo. Pretty clean bike for year and it could only muster $3800. I had updated the cam chain tensioner and had the valves done at 40k so was due again, had all of the recalls done and some suspension upgraded. She performed flawlessly and I still kinda miss her. With 38k on her she has a lot of life of worry free miles left.

When I first read the title, I thought to myself that I should warn you, that if the 05 you happen to be looking at is yellow & black, you should look to see if it still has a large hole in the oil pan. lol. But then that particular bike had significantly more miles on her.

The 05 is a great bike and you'll get many wonderful miles out of it. Mine wasn't a ticker so I never had to worry about that particular goblin. And so I went on to enjoy 220K+ miles on it.

Be sure to post your impressions here if you choose to buy it.

A ticker is very unlikely, but having timing chain slap on deceleration means the CCT needs a refresh. The only other thing that happens with frequency is a failure in the rear ABS block. You can either do the diagnostic, or jump on the bike and stomp on the rear brake. The ABS activation is unmistakable.

My '05 was a ticker. Fixed at 20k miles and never an issue again.
What do they have to do to fix a ticker?

I just bought an 05 - lighter than the 06

Dealer had NOT checked on recalls! They had to replace the throttle position sensor 2 weeks later.

Check to see if the cam chain tensioner (CCT) gets replaced as the newer versions are sturdier. Can someone illuminate for us as I'd like to upgrade mine too.

That's my 2 cents. Love mine.

Basic ticker fix is a head job that includes replacement of the exhaust valve guides (and exhaust valves, IIRC). Reassembly with proper valve clearances, new head and other gasket(s), coolant, etc. Labor is the big $$ item in it. Back within a few years of the Gen.I model years (2003 - 2005 could tick), Yamaha was picking up the cost at Yamaha Service Depts, even if the bike was outside warranty. Unlikely that they would be willing to do that this many years after manufacture dates. My CCT got replaced at the same time, since it was judged to be adding to the noise when it was diagnosed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check to see if the cam chain tensioner (CCT) gets replaced as the newer versions are sturdier. Can someone illuminate for us as I'd like to upgrade mine too.
If you order a cam Chain Tensioner, anything produced after 2008 or so will be a "Blue dot" version (or a green dot). The consequence of a CCT failure is huge compared to the cost of replacement! The following thread has a bunch of stuff on CCT replacement although many of the photo links are missing, courtesy of Photofucket.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/116778-gen1-cam-chain-tensioner-cct-replacement-lessons-learned/

Latest posts