2016 FJR1300AE (ES) - Menu Button Inoperative

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Opinionated curmudgeon
Reaction score
Greetings,

I just purchased a new to me 2016 ES. Everything worked perfectly on this bike with fewer than 3,400 miles when I bought it, but after trailering it home, the Menu Button has stopped functioning. (I know, it serves me right for trailering it! :) ) The previous owner never had any issues with it, or with anything on the bike for that matter.

Has anyone ever experienced this, and if so, how did you resolve it? The bike is under warranty, so I am unconcerned, but if there is a simple fix, I'd love to hear about it.

Note: I did check the fuses, and they are all good. Cruise Control still works, as do all of the signals. The screen is stuck on the suspension screen, and the Select Switch does not change the setting.

Thank you in advance!

Pete

The only connection common to the menu and select switches is the earth, this is a black with white tracer wire (at least on a 2014 bike, I presume the same for your 2016). If you can find the connector, check there is an earth on the pin.

Beyond that, I'd say take it to a dealer to fix under warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take it into a dealer, and have it checked out...did the original owner have the ECU flashed?...that has been the only problem with the 16's that I am aware of, and mine has over 20k miles on it.

Just for grins, I would try a power cycle reboot of the electronics. Disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes, then hook it back up. Can't hurt anything, but it might help.

Just for grins, I would try a power cycle reboot of the electronics. Disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes, then hook it back up. Can't hurt anything, but it might help.
I was planning to try that this evening.

I used canyon dancer type tie downs that attach to the hand-grips. I made certain that the straps did not touch or rub against anything, and I inspected all of the wires as well, just to be certain. Everything looks fine.

I am stopping by a dealership today to transfer the YES warranty, and I will ask the service department what they think while I am there. I'll likely schedule an appointment at the same time.

Thank you all for the feedback, I appreciate it!

The dealer should be able to tell you if the original owner had the ECU flashed...by checking the vin#

They have to do a 30-minute inspection in order to transfer the warranty (and they are charging me for their time!) Are you referring to an ECU Flash to improve performance, or was there some recall / service bulletin requiring a factory re-flash?

TIA

BTW, Joe, did you see the new 2016 in the for sale section today?

When I acquired my 2005 in 2006, the local Yamaha dealership didn't charge me a thing to transfer the YES. Basically they just do a little typing in the Yamaha warranty system and the YES is reassigned to you.

You might want to check with another dealership before you pay them 1/2 hour labor to do nothing.

Have you tried holding in the select button for for 3 or 4 seconds? You should be able to accesss the menu structure at that time. That may recycle it. It's just a guess on my part but worth a try. did you get a manual with the bike? I found it on you tube since somehow my owners manual is lost at this time. The wife is great for that.
angel.gif

Dave

They have to do a 30-minute inspection in order to transfer the warranty (and they are charging me for their time!) Are you referring to an ECU Flash to improve performance, or was there some recall / service bulletin requiring a factory re-flash?
TIA

BTW, Joe, did you see the new 2016 in the for sale section today?
There is a service bulletin for that (it corrects the check engine light error)...Hope they have the required software, to do the update. My bike is being repaired...so no need to replace it, but thanks.

Re: the 30-minute charge - they said they have to inspect the bike to ensure there are no preexisting conditions (like the menu switch, I imagine.) I called the two dealerships near me, they both charge for that. I called Yamaha back and they confirmed that the dealership can charge for it. :(

Re: Holding the switch for 3-4 seconds, I tried that. No joy.

Re: the service bulletin, I will ask them about it. Thanks for the heads up! Also, congrats on getting your bike fixed, Joe.

I leave work (early) in 15 minutes - heading to Yamaha. I'll post an update when I get home.

Again, I wish to thank everyone for their input and assistance!
punk.gif
You are a great group of people here, and I appreciate that!

Is it possible the tie down straps might have tweaked the wires that run along the handlebars to the switch pod?

It turns out that the wires got cut by being stretched against a plastic panel. Non-warrany. They have been re-routed, re-covered, and the sharp edge of the plastic panel has been sanded smooth. I have a photo but can't figure out how to post it from my phone.

Glad it was an easy fix. Were the wires factory routed or something the PO changed to accommodate an accessory?

Add another that was not charged for YES transfer. Took all of 10 minutes and a few keystrokes at my local dealer.

Have fun with the new [to you] 'ES!

--G

PO says he routed the wires exactly as the instructions specified. He is contacting the company to let them know so they can update instructions if necessary.

The tie downs were nowhere near any wires, but it is possible that compressing the forks when tying it down caused the problem. The wire that was cut was white with a red stripe, btw.

I do not doubt the PO when he said he never had a problem. He is also meticulous about his bikes, this was just an unfortunate fluke.

The dealership was great. I called in at ten AM, and they said I could bring it in. They squeezed my repair in while I waited. Afterwards, the tech insisted that he come out and go through all of the settings with me. (Well, maybe the $10 tip had something to do with it.)

This dealership is not the closest to my house, but they treated me well, so if I require service hereafter I will go back to them. Most things I will do myself, however. I am going to upload the photo to Flickr so I can link it here.

35232142564_d3fc7337c0_z.jpg

36135967155_e9e1cbadf8_h.jpg