zumo 660lm no points of interest data after update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolboytoo

Reaction score
So I updated my zumo and some how lost the data to the address search,points of interest and intersection search . When i go into WHERE TO? then hit points of interest , address, or intersection it just says "no data availible". WTF cound i have done? install wrong maps? it was tring to get me to down load half US and Half canada i searched and found lower 48 states maps. It must not have fully updated???? i dont know what the heck I did to screw this up,LOL Tried to update again but it say "you up to date

It origanally said i didnt have enough space to up full us map, SO

I went back into the maps section and am going to install update for south east part of US. Maybe this will bring back other data?

Anybody else have this problem?

Is Garmin Express up to date? Do you have a SD card installed and are all of your routes, music installed on it and not the system storage? If not get one and move all of that stuff there, that should free up enough space for the update.

I have a 665lm and have only saved my routes to the SD card and all of the updates I have done have installed fine. The part that I don't like the updates take hours and never update it the night before a trip. I learned the hard way that I should update it a couple weeks before a trip (if needed), start the process before going to bed and hope it's done by morning.

So I updated my zumo and some how lost the data to the address search,points of interest and intersection search . When i go into WHERE TO? then hit points of interest , address, or intersection it just says "no data availible". WTF cound i have done? install wrong maps? it was tring to get me to down load half US and Half canada i searched and found lower 48 states maps. It must not have fully updated???? i dont know what the heck I did to screw this up,LOL Tried to update again but it say "you up to date
It origanally said i didnt have enough space to up full us map, SO

I went back into the maps section and am going to install update for south east part of US. Maybe this will bring back other data?

Anybody else have this problem?
Yeah, I think it should all fit on that GPS still. You need to go in and clean up your GPS memory and get rid of extra saved tracks, routes, waypoints, etc.

You can force it to re-do the maps even though it says you are up to date. When it tells me that I can't fit the full North America map set on my zumo 550 (which is every time) I go in and tell it to just update my computer (not the GPS) and then I used the MapInstall utility to load the new maps to the SD card instead of the GPS. Same thing should work on the 66X series zumo, but the last time I did a 660 (about a year ago) it loaded all of North America fine.

You might have to manually delete the last copy of the maps if it has corrupted. The maps (along with all of the POIs) are in the file named "gmapprom.img" on the GPS device in the "garmin" directory.

edit: Here's a link to a thread I started about loading maps on the zumo 550. All of the techniques in that old post still apply except that now you load the maps to your PC using Garmin Express.

Last edited by a moderator:
just installed south east states update and now i have POI's back and intersectionis working also, but not all states can be found/searched. I have a 8gb in there and i took it out and looked in the file on the computor and looks like its full of music.I think I read that people have installed 16gb with out ill effects. I started playing with gps and alot of the states are missing like you start to spell a state and all the states that start with that letter should be an option but they are not. obviosly going to have to free up some space and udate lower 48 map again. I'm wondering what is in the gps that is using up all the space? Is it trip logs and or trips saved places, music, off road trip logs? I have all this stuff in base camp so if I delete all the trip logs you spose that will free up tons of space? can we wipe clean and start over?lol

I've been messing with gps with no memory card and it seems all the music is on gps memory..

Trip logs can hog up a lot of space over time. Connect the GPS to your PC and then browse the folders with Windows Explorer. Look in the Garmin/ gpx/archive directory for all the old triplogs that have been automatically archived. They can either just be deleted or you can copy them to your PC if you want to get nostalgic about your past rides.

You can also go into the language and voices folders and delete all of the unused stuff. Just browse around and look for big files, then try and figure out what they are and if they are needed.

Also, definitely move all of your music files to a MP3 folder on the SD card. You don't want any of those on the GPS device itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I beleive that worked very well. I read Freds thread about loading maps now all poi's are all back and 65% of free internal memory on 665lm . THANKS FRED and DEANG

You're welcome. Turns out this is helping me out quite a bit too.

I have done nothing like what Fred posted in the link he provided and only have a little over 100MB free of internal memory; which I know is not ideal. I just assumed the map had to be on the internal memory. Before I get nailed with low memory errors I have some much needed clean up to do before it starts to puke. Great thread, very helpful!!

Just curious, does your GPS boot faster now that you have freed up so much space?

yes, it did make a noticable differance. I did figure out how to delete the differant language voices. I'm thinking now i should make a couple differant sd cards so the tracks from off road snowmobiling ect... can be put in when needed. that way even if i need to save the logs to base camp then down load onto the South Dakota , or wyoming, or what ever sd card it could keep it all together. Its rel nice to track where you have been off road and go back and say if we would have gone another half mile we could have made a loop. Thanks again