FJR 2005 Neutral Switch Location?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblyth

Reaction score
My neutral light is becoming intermittent, and if the light doesn't shine, the starter won't turn. I suspect the neutral switch is the culprit. I can still start with the stand up and the clutch pulled in.

The trouble is, I can't locate the neutral switch! I have found the Speed Sensing switch at the rear of the engine in the middle, and the diagrams I have seen suggests the neutral switch is in that area, but I can't see it.

Can anyone describe the location to me or post a picture of it?

Many thanks
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia

Diagram from a 2003 workshop manual, looks like you'll have to grovel around the back of the crankcase, it's item 7.

(Click on image for larger view)

The lead going to it has a connector, item 9 in the diagram below:

The wire colour is blue (though probably sleeved in black).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Mactrophy,

I had looked at similar diagrams, but I still can't find a spare wire going into the area. I might have to start pulling things off to get a better look!

I had a similar problem on my 03. Turned out to be the starter relay which is located under the seat. Roughly 2"x 2"X1/2".

Previous owner had bodgied up the circuit from the neutral switch to get it to start but light didn't come on.

Replacing the relay fixed everything.

Sorry Mech1 twa,

I think I was looking at the wrong switch. The one I identified was forward of the sump plug...

Wrong%20Plug_zpstqa0lam7.png

What I can see at the back of the engine is what I think is the Speed Sensor with 3-4 wires.

Wrong%20Plug2_zps8pdm0mmk.png

I have had a good look from underneath, but couldn't see anything else. I must be blind ;-)...

If you have time, could you take a quick picture of where the Neutral Switch is please (or just the general area) - just a rough drawing would be fine too.

I tried posting pictures here, but couldn't get Google pics or Photobucket to work ....

Even a direction and distance to look from say the kickstand/sump plug etc would be helpful.....

Sorry to be a pain....

John

Look at the left side of the engine. Follow the shift pedal linkage up to where it enters the left side the engine.

Just below where the shift rod enters the left side of the engine there is a triangular shaped engine mount bracket with rounded points.

The neutral switch is at this elevation on the rear side of the engine. It's about halfway across the rear side of the engine in a similar location to the speed sensor except that it's higher up on the engine.

You probably can't see it from the side because it's hidden by a large structural lug jutting out from the rear of the engine which is bolted to the frame.

The neutral switch doesn't appear to be all that easy to access.

To gain access you'd likely have to remove the air filter case.

I would check everything in this circuit thoroughly before making an attempt to check this switch.

I have my old engine sitting on floor of garage. A little hard to judge location when not in frame.

Air box is in the way. Sorry. Its been 2 years since I replaced it and haven't looked at it recently.

Does this help? https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/172494-1st-5th-disappear-in-dash-indicator/
Advanced search (gear icon to the right of the search box) for "gear indicator" -- and use the quotation marks.

Less than 2 weeks old ... ?
Neutral switch setup is very different between Gen I and subsequent generations.

Now I'm confused. I'll have to take a good look tomorrow . Gen 1 in rear of lower engine case. Gen 2 is on left side behind left lower engine mount. triangle part. 6 wires. Gen 1 has 1 wire.

I have a Gen 2 engine in my 2005. Speed sensor reads off a gear in transmission. Neutral switch is lower in case, under speed sensor. Works from shift drum Gen 1

I think you are right Constant Mesh,

I have found the Neutral Sensor Switch in my 2006 FJR - I THINK. It is certainly very hard to see, and it is going to be even harder to replace! It does seem to be between the lugs you mention.

I haven't directly tested the circuit but I will look into that further, but my fault does seem to be directly related to movement of the gear lever. It wouldn't matter so much, but the "Glove Box" won't open unless my model has the neutral light lit.

In the image below you can see what I think is the neutral switch - you can see how difficult it is to see and get at! You can see the switch in the small mirror reflection! It took a long time to get everything positioned correctly to get even this poor image...

fjr-neutral-switch1.jpg

This image is taken from further away so you can see the location more easily at the end of the red screwdriver. The switich is about mid block, so it is a fair way in! I think you are also correct in suggesting the Air Box will need to be removed to replace the switch - a big job I think....

fjr-external-view.jpg

This is the switch. It threads into the back of the engine. It is a simple, one wire device. The wire connector just plugs onto the single, spark plug like connector.

https://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-3GB-82540-01-00.html

You can easily add a simple momentary push-button switch and bypass the neutral switch. This would allow you to open/close the accessory box lid, etc.

Look at Parts 9 and 11 on this diagram.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/parts/street-mcy?ls=Tour&dealernumber=#/Yamaha/FJR1300ABS_-_FJR13AT_-_2005/ELECTRICAL_1

Maybe the plug-on wire connector is not firmly attached. There is another simple plug wire connector up closer to the air box where it connects to the wiring harness.

Thanks Constant Mesh for all the effort you have put in - and everyone else who helped. What agreat forum!

I tried to move the plug connection a little, but I couldn't get a purchase on it....

That's a great idea about adding a momentary switch. It certainly is easier than tearing half the bike apart to replace the switch. I'll trace through the wiring and check all the connections.

Cheers

John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia