Powder coat wheels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a '13 and it says it's powder coated. If so, it's the thinnest, easiest to scratch powder coating I've ever seen. If you touch it while trying to get the front brake calipers off, you better expect seeing aluminum under it. It's very delicate compared to the powder coating I see and deal with in my career.

Soft paint, thin powder coatings, stickers that fall off the hardcases. What a POS bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole world is going this way. Stuff just a $$$. Build it sell it make a profit. Worry about it later. AS long as I made my Bonus.

Sucks.

Soft paint, thin powder coatings, stickers that fall off the hardcases. What a POS bike.
That's a pretty big leap to take from a comment about it scratching easy. My comment was more along the lines that I personally don't believe they are powder coated, I believe they are painted. Doesn't change my opinion of the bike, just changes my opinion of whether or not I think it's paint or powder coated.

I am pretty sure he was being facetious. (tongue in cheek) The Gen3's are known for thin paint.

jester.gif

^^^^^ Damn, garauld! Those are some sharp wheels!

(Sorry, "Soft paint" etc is an old joke.)

How much does it cost in general to have both wheels powdercoated? Mine are full of scratches...

I would charge $30 each plus S&H. They would need to be clean and the bearings would need to be removed.
A point of (obvious) clarity - rotors have to be removed too.

What about ABS stuff and cush drive stuff for the rear?

Mine are well past the point where I am worried about any minor blemish but I can understand people wanting to get wheels refurbished - especially black ones. Bearing replacement (and shipping) would add substantially to the cost.

I can powdercoat most parts - wheels are the largest. I have not had issues with powdercoating over, what I believe to be, painted parts. As a side note, the wheel hubs must be heated to remove the rotor bolts and bearings.

Took my wheels off last night. If that is powdercoat I'm not believing it. Scratched the paint taking off clip on wheel weights. Didn't scratch where I pried but where they were clipped on. Stripping down now for real powdercoat. The rear is a pain and will be costly to put back together. Just don't like the black wheels.