Max weight capacity for side cases?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they have a rating, it is probably conservative - like the ridiculously low weight rating for the topbox. In practical terms, I think you could fill it with bricks if you were only running smooth roads. In rough conditions, 15 lb. could be too much.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Yup, your right, there is a 'warning' sticker inside the case saying 22 lbs. Unbelievable that I have owned this bike for 12 years and have never read that sticker. Always some thing to learn!

Thanks again.

I know each hardcase will easily carry 12 ice-cold canned beers. (PS: I do NOT drink and ride. I usually drink, act like a fool, then go to sleep.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Best I've done is 4 handles of Jim Beam and a couple pint bottles in each. Alcohol is WAY cheaper across the state line in MD.

Honestly, I got a case of beer in the saddlebags one evening, but couldn't remember how it was arranged. My port-side saddlebag is always 1/3 full with tire repair gear, cold weather gloves, a balaclava, and bungee cords, so must've had 18 on one side and 6 in the other. (?)

I was sent to the store for five green and five purple cabbages to make cole slaw for a big 4th of July party. I don't know what they weighed, but I can tell you that when you're carrying ten cabbages, it's not the weight, it's balancing the damn things so they don't roll out before you can shut the doors.

Yamaha's awful warning sticker (at least the English part):

(Click on image for larger view)

... it's balancing the damn things so they don't roll out before you can shut the doors.
Have you done the lid angle mod?

From this To this:

Definitely helps to hold in cabbages.

Re: The warning sticker

Good thing I NEVER ride my "Accessory equipped motorcycle" at speeds over 80 MpH!!

Maybe that's the reason for the 80 MpH cruise limitation on the 2013 model???

Hey, Viper Pilot, I'm curious about what YOU wanted to put in there.

Before fireworks were sold in GA, we would make a run across the border if we were having a get-together over a holiday.. One time I decided to go solo and run up to a cool place I'd ridden past many times, in TN - just across the border - on the bike (my '01 FZ1 at the time). It has a Givi 55l on top, but the little 21s on the sides. I bought an obscene amount of ordinance, then emptied everything out of the packaging into the cases. It was a tight fit, but thankfully the 21 cases are top-opening!

The entire ride home I couldn't help but hope I didn't get run into, or otherwise go down, because I'd expect to go up in a colorful flash of sparks and smoke!

Will a Shoei Neotech fit? I hear it's bigger than the Multitech because of the internal sun visor. WBill