Speedo & tach stuck - Dash dead - 2004

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilj14

Reaction score
I did a short ride Saturday and on my return home my tachometer stopped about 2500 rpm and my speedometer about 60 kmh (40mph). Dash side has gone blank. Bike seems to run fine, lights and signals work, voltage at 13.5, generic stuff seems fine.....

I have spent some time looking, and I see main fuse..... haven't looked for it yet tho.... any suggestions..... seems kinda strange......

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions,

Cheers

If I were on the side of the road my general order assuming all the dash is blank...not just lights or indicators. And nobody else has yet responded on the forum (there's some far smarter fellas than me).

Fuses first and easiest. Not just main fuse, but visually check them all.

You install ANY farkles that tap into existing stuff? If so, unplug them.

Have I lost anything else and not just the dash indicators? (i.e. tail lights are out, side marker lights are dim, my windshield retract doesn't work now, etc.)? Lots of miles on the bike (like 150,000km or more)?

If so, I'd check the wiring harness under the tank as it rounds the top left of cylinder #1. If this, then ride home and fix ASAP.

minimal farkles.... sadly..... cruise control..... led headlamps.... all working fine.... going to check some of this stuff tonight.

Check all the harnesses under T- bar. Remove that rubber shield in there.

None of those connectors are waterproof type. Many of mine were getting corrosion but never had problems.

Could be gauge cluster circuit board. Not any good way to check that. Start with easy stuff first.

dug deep into it last night. No damaged wires I can find. No blown fuses. Removed the harness plug from the back of the dash module. No change. Removed the battery. No change....

Starting to get frustrated.....

Any suggestions beyond what was already brought up??

Is your clock working or is there an error code displayed.

Found section in service manual page 7-30 31 about lost communication with gauge cluster. 05 Manual .

Cluster shares a common ground with a few other things so its not that.

2 things in same area malfunction. ? As I've read in so many DAM service manuals Replace with known good part.

A fairly long but exhausting day has yielded some results. The bike is now alive again.

I figured out this morning while reading my manual, and talking with my local Yamaha tech, that a dead dash is not likely the ecu. Hence the dash came out and apart..... A spot that looked mildly suspect was located..... Keeping in mind that everything on it except the lamps was dead, I figured they were related. A local salvage yard I regularly deal with for other projects had a dash with a broken LED display, but he said it otherwise would work. Took it home, and the machine was alive. So I took the replacement module apart, along with my dead dash, and had a Speedometer shop about a half hour away remove the solder from the digital display, and replace the cracked one with my original. Sure enough it actually worked!!

Definitely not a common failure, and definitely not a common repair..... (who tries to build a dash these days?) just the same, my own labour, some guidance from you guys, and about $300 and the beast will live to ride another day. Now to finish putting it all back together........

Thanks so much guys,

Neil

Not common. You are the 1st that I know of that had this kind problem.

Great diag. and repair.

Sometimes you can see a burnt spot in circuit board, others times not.

I'm riding my 05 as long a can and its still repairable.

Wish I would have read this sooner. I parted out my 05 and have the dash assembly available. Just think... you could have had blue LED dash lights and 262k on the OD.

... or just the board.

Last edited by a moderator: