I Need Riser Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
And yes, I searched. I found a lot of old threads and I know things have changed. But I would appreciate any advice on what you think would work for me. I was going to attend EOM and look at the different bikes and ask in person, but I don't think I can wait any longer.

First, my FJR is a 2014A. It's my 3rd FJR, and I've held off on adding risers because I have back issues. The FJR has never bothered my back so I didn't want to mess with the riding position. It has always bothered my wrists with too forward lean, or angle of handlebars, or both. But cruise greatly helped with the right arm pain. I would love the bars to be higher and back towards the rider, and with the bar ends pushed towards the front for a better angle.

I added a Russell seat this year and now sit higher so maybe that is why now the pain is becoming unbearable (or I'm just getting old). I just did a long weekend and 1400 miles and I'm seriously thinking Goldwing. I have severe pain between the shoulder blades and neck area.

I'm about 6'3 with long arms. I thought this would help reach the bars easier but the bars seem too narrow and I lean on them too much.

From what I can find, my choices are MV, Helibar, and MCL. I don't think I want to drill anything out if there are other options available. I'm not excited about adding brake lines either but sounds like that is easy to do?

Unless the instructions are pretty fantastic, I'm not that mechanically inclined and will not start the project. I know this will be moved to never-ending (I even tried to post there first) and that's fine....I just would like to hear what people my size thought worked best, why they chose what they did, and how hard it was to install.

Thanks in advance. With the cruise and Russell the two biggest issues have been addressed. Now this one came up and I hope to put it to rest and enjoy the ride.

Don.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issues after first buying my FJR to the point I thought it might be a mistake buying it. Bought and installed the Helibar riser kit ($249) which allows three different positions and all my neck and back pain was eliminated. I would not ride without them installed since I'm too old to be hunched over life a jockey riding my bike.

Don,

I too had issues with leaning too far forward for comfort. I got the same 'in between the shoulder blades' pain after several hours. I'm only 6 ft tall but have freakish (according to Wayne at Motoport) long arms so I am surprised I felt that I needed the handgrips closer to me.

But I read a lot of posts here and I spent some time talking to FJR owners with risers, etc. I ended up talking to Harry at HELI and he explained to me how the Helibars can widen the grip spacing while moving the grips up rearward. Both of which were important to me. So I got the Heli Bridge (whatever it's proper name is).

Installation wasn't too bad. I took my time following the instructions so be sure I didn't mess it up. The instructions say its a 90 minute install. It wasn't for me. But I was going slow... It took about 2.5 hrs. But If I had to do it again, I think I could easily do it in 90 minutes. The brake line extension is a piece of cake. Don't be afraid of doing it.

Riding impressions: It does make me sit up a little straighter (good for Master Yoda) and the shoulder problems are gone. I like that the grips are a little further apart now as it gives me a little more leverage for quick maneuvers. I like to get my upper body close to the tank and to the inside (kiss the mirrors style) in the twisty sections and the Heli bars do not interfere. I was worried that the rearward position of the bars with the Helis would detract from the FJR sportier character but I do not find that to be the case.

I have a Seth Laam seat set in the high position on my bike. I don't know how that compares height wise to your seat setup.

I don't recall drilling out anything to do the install. I did have to cut the wire form retainers that corral the various control cables and wires etc. The Heli instructions were very clear for this. And it does take some time to reassemble all the wires and cables to come out neatly. Time consuming but not difficult.

Good luck with your decision, don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions on the Heli product.

Hi Don,

Although I don't have the same issue as you do, I do have the Helibar Bridge on my 07' ABS model (installed by previous owner), which are both up and back risers with 3 position adjustment (as the previous postings). I wanted to adjust the position and before I did I downloaded the install instructions and checked the install before making an adjustment. From what I can tell, it is a rather easy installation. The 3 position adjustments will rotate the handlebars around a pivot bolt, so going from the back position, to the middle position, to the forward position will change the reach to the bars as well as the angle. This may help with aligning the angle to your wrist (knuckles).

I have no experience with the OEM settings. I'm 5'8"/29" inseam, and I prefer the lean forward position of sport bikes. If they were not installed by the previous owner, I doubt I would ever have changed from the OEM. The straight up sitting position not only hurts my tail, but feels more awkward in the turns, for me. Course I'm a bit weird as I like the lean forward and tuck in position, where I think overwhelmingly most FJR riders prefer the sit up (Master Yoda) position that risers and setbacks increase. Although I didn't install these on the JFR, I have installed Helibars on a previous Honda ST1300A and it was a relatively straight forward installation with good instructions and support just a phone call away.

The HeliBar Bridge is not JUST 3 position adjustable. You have a groove that allows a range of adjustment.

You might like to know that if the HeliBar Bridge is at the full forward position with the bars at their widest and flattest you will not need to add the brake line extension. That position is still much farther back and higher than stock and still higher and further back than the GenMar riser blocks.

Ahh. Great info everyone. Redfish, thanks for the comparison to genMar also. I did not know that, nor about not needing the brake line at the front position (the wider bars certainly sound appealing).

Hope a few more post up and would like to hear from MV owners also......

MV Motorrad. The riser lifts the bars a little (maybe 3/4-inch?) but allows them to be 'swiveled' forward and aft to a position that best suits you. Moving them aft creates a more vertical sitting position.

Best attribute? Takes about 35 minutes to install with no special tools and no special talent. I did it with no help -- and that's testimony to support the "no special talent" claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also didn't like the Helibar bridge. I did like the grip angle and extra leverage but it felt like the handlebars were in my lap and it really locked me into one riding position. I'm 6'3" with Russell Seat in high position. I went back to the Genmars.

Bought my 2006 with Heli Bars and adjusted them all the way back and up as I have long arms, made a huge difference from forward position. Also have custom Sargent seat set at high position. The only issue being you can't see behind you so I had to add set of SM Moto Mirror Extenders, $65 Revzilla. Good to go.

Had the Helibar on my 2012, and now have the MV on the 2016.

The Helibar has more 'up and back', takes longer to install, is not as clean an install, and will make the bars hit your tankbag on full lock parking maneuvers. Mine would honk the horn, or hit the starter button, depending on which way I turned.

The MV has almost the same 'up', not as much 'back', is easier to and makes for a much cleaner install. Havent hit the tankbag yet. (But the 2016 has moved both the horn and the starter.)

Handlebar vibrations are worse for me with the MV than the Heli. Still trying to find the right bar end weight. 8 oz has helped a bit.

I dont miss the lesser 'back' of the MV as much as I thought. (I am just 6', with a RDL in their recommended position, which I cant recall if thats the high or low seat position) I can tell there is less 'back', but its not bothersome.

Both products let me match my natural hand grip angle to the handlebar angle.

What would I do again?

I would use the MV on a Gen II to eliminate the tank bag issues, and the Heli on a Gen III, as the horn and starter buttons have been moved. YMMV

And good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the great responses. Lots of great information there.

Sapest, thanks for the comparison. As an owner of both you hit on some key good and bad points.

I'm ordering the Heli bridge today. The Russell seat has been nothing short of amazing for increasing my distance between fill-ups as long as I can put on cruise and only keep one hand on the bars. Non-expressway driving where shifting and two hands are required have really taken its toll on me. I'll report back once I get this installed and tested.

Again...THANK YOU for the advice. Feel much better trying to attack this project.

Don.

Helis allow for a broad range of adjustment and different seating positions. I would not still have an fjr were it not for helis. I started with them fully to the rear. That was very upright, and it was great. I later put them in the middle position, which put the grips further apart, made steering lighter, and reduced grip angle (wrist comfort). That's the sweet spot for me.