The bike's steering "locked up"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exskibum

~<>~<>~<>~<>~
Reaction score
Sympathies for the rider's injuries and bike damage, but making up shit in the face of contrary evidence isn't gaining the rider the wisdom he went out of the way to learn the hard way.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/08/11/motorcycle-plunges-off-cliff-santa-monica-mountains-california-orig-trnd-lab.cnn?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

Read the narrative at the beginning about why he went wide and off the cliff. Then watch his speedo coming into the curve/launch point. You'll see him accelerate to 68 mph and then scrub 30+ mph before launching. Nothing "locked up", except maybe his brain. Let's recount what really happened:

Rider accelerated until he had an "oh shit" moment upon discovering there was an upcoming curve into which he was about to overcook his entry. He got on his brakes and naturally, the bike stood up in reaction, which he was unable or unprepared to counter. Bike stands up, turn radius increases and presto: common unseasoned rider error of going wide on the turn results. Unfortunately for this guy, he flies it off the cliff.

Glad he's alive and not too badly injured for what could have resulted, but he really does need to take a lesson about why it happened instead of claiming the BS that his "steering locked up."

Note: unlike our OM, kudos to this rider for having the forethought to video his 2 wheeled cliff diving. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. 100% rider error. You are most likely correct on what actually happened.

Funny thing about turns like that though. We have the Sandia Crest Road on the east side of the Sandias. About as twisty as it gets around here. There is one turn about half-way up that has a dirt run-off like that, and when the lighting is right heading for the top, it's hard to tell where the road actually is and overcook it. I wonder if he did that same thing, and didn't realize until too late where the road actually went.

The "steering locked up" theory is BS. His handlebars were working ad intended, all the way to launch.

It's what people tell themselves and their friends and family, as opposed to admitting they can't ride worth beans and really don't know what they're doing or why they crashed.

Shows why they need to start working on self riding motorcycles.
crazy.gif

Steering locked up? How? LOL. I honestly would have just countersteered more and if the bike did end up heading past the white line I definitely would have bailed.

As for "laying her down"...that's what I hear most times when they are too embarrassed to say they panicked and locked the brakes.

Dude is lucky to be alive....

It looks like we can agree that the crash was caused by rider error. I understand how that happens, especially to a relatively new rider. The hard thing is to understand how to prevent a new rider from doing it. I know I would force myself to lean to the maximum and even low side rather than ride straight off the road, but I have been riding for a long time.

So, I believe that a rider can practice mentally what to do in case of a problem. If I think about what I would do in similar circumstances I will be better prepared when it actually happens. I won't need to decide what needs to be done and will be able to react more quickly. Do others go through these mental exercises?

Rocks do that to my bike all the time. The rocks have magnets and they turn on a soon as you look at the rock. The bikes steering locks up and you go right into the darn rock.

I think we all know to look where we want to go and that is why we survive to ride another day.

Brake hard while still going straight, feather off brakes entering, weight left peg while shifting left and press left handgrip down hard. Pray, because my dumb-assedness in paying attention has me hoping I have enough margin to get ENOUGH of all that shit done before getting to the dirt shoulder. Yes to practicing the situation, mostly by getting used to setting up for corners with as much margin as possible: left foot at ready on peg, ouside of lane set-up for line, etc. Riding since '66 and skiing since 1954 helps with innate sense of managing lateral traction, but still: it's an oh shit moment for everyone.

I expect that this guy's statement about the "locked up" steering has been (or will be) ridiculed on a hundred motorcycle websites. I just hopes he eventually learns that he did something wrong rather than continue to assume that it was a mechanical failure. Otherwise, he is doomed to endure a repeat performance that might not work out as well.

Hope he makes a full recovery!

I expect that this guy's statement about the "locked up" steering has been (or will be) ridiculed on a hundred motorcycle websites. I just hopes he eventually learns that he did something wrong rather than continue to assume that it was a mechanical failure. Otherwise, he is doomed to endure a repeat performance that might not work out as well.
Yup, learning the hard way most often starts with us recognizing the 'hard part' of our lesson and how most likely we put ourselves in that position. I hope he goes back to riding when healed up and hope he changes his story about the cause, because it was a great adventure he should share for years to come and maybe help others learn the easy way from his pain. I often share my stupid tricks with others in the spirit they may learn a bit easier than I have. At least I hope I have learned a thing ot two over the years.

exskibum posted: &lt;snip&gt; Riding since '66 and skiing since 1954 helps with innate sense of managing lateral traction, but still: it's an oh shit moment for everyone.
Me, too -- except nowhere near as long as you.
coolsmiley02.gif
There are a lot of similar physical sensations while skiing or riding a motorcycle, and both require all-in concentration when you're pushing the edge of your ability. Far different consequences with a crash, however.

geezer: +1 on the mental thing and visualization.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup, learning the hard way most often starts with us recognizing the 'hard part' of our lesson and how most likely we put ourselves in that position. I hope he goes back to riding when healed up and hope he changes his story about the cause, because it was a great adventure he should share for years to come and maybe help others learn the easy way from his pain. I often share my stupid tricks with others in the spirit they may learn a bit easier than I have. At least I hope I have learned a thing ot two over the years.
How does the saying go? Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.