Gold Wing update....any news?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deagle

Reaction score
It's been basically the same platform since 2001. Lately I've been reading "rumors" of an update. From what I've read the engine is fine, but it has fallen behind in electronics, could use a little styling refresh, cruise slow to react as it's still not throttle by wire, and it still only offers abs in the top of the line model. Will be on this bike someday. Sooner rather than later unless the Helibar Bridge I ordered can help with my neck pain. I really don't think I ride far enough to justify the big beast at this time....but as I get older I get less patient with riding in discomfort.

Anybody heard anything of note?

As the market for big bikes continues to decline I wouldn't

bet on an updated Gold Wing any time soon.

As a former Gold Wing owner I've long felt the current

model was too far removed from what defines a motorcycle.

Honda has an Annual fall meeting where they show new street comedians begin a dealer order period as I recall, it has been 12 years. If there is to be a new Wing it would be released at that dealer meeting. If all the many faces Honda is the best at keeping new models under wraps.

I'm renting one on a trip in October. Finally time to see what the fuss is about.

I'm renting one on a trip in October. Finally time to see what the fuss is about.
I rented a wing two times before buying one after Bambi killed my Feejeer. I once read riding a wing is like dancing with a big girl...and she's the better dancer. Sounds about right.

Like Yamaha with the FJR, Honda got the GoldWing right. Yes it could use some updating in the sound and electrics dept but I never noticed any lag with the CC and that 1800 works so well with this platform.

Getting close to 80k on my 08 that I picked up 5 years ago with 12k on it. So far so good.

I bought a wing when an accident cut my wife's riding career short. I sold it and bought a spyder only to sell it and buy another wing. The wing is a handful at low speed but once moving it loses about 400 pounds and handles better than you would think. Yes the electronics could use an update but the after market is full of good stuff. I upgraded the suspension a little and just added a Russell seat. I plan on riding it into dust. An upgraded one would have to come with a winning lottery ticket.

I put 110,000+ on a 2002 model 'wing, and it's an impressive bike for its size. Of course it's not for everyone, but then, neither is the FJR. The upright riding position started hurting my back, but my ZRX didn't. Thus, my switch to the FJR.

A friend has a new 2017, and frankly, even if I could be comfortable on one, it just doesn't appeal to me any more. Nonetheless, it's a very good motorcycle.

I bought the slimmed down B this year, and it's a nice switch.

uTWA79Nh.jpg

I just heard that Honda has acknowledged all leaked pics are actual and real, 2018 bikes will be displayed at the Long Beach CA show middle of November this year. First ones should be arriving in the USA sometime in March 2018. The new models will have same engine displacement with serious upgrades in power (maybe double overhead cams 4 valve per cyl ?) The newer models will be 87 lbs lighter and electronic package very similar to BMW 1600 bagger model. Windshield is electronically adjustable. I am sooooooo friggin glad I held out to buy an F6B https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/

Last edited by a moderator:
Its official.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/10/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-first-look-18-fast-facts/2/

Looks like the long awaited Goldwing entry into the 21st Century.

Im a sucker. I bought the K1600GTL in 2012. Ill probably trade some bikes for one of these after the bugs have been sorted.

It comes in at least red, white or blue ... maybe some other colors too. Seven speed DCT is an option.

Im actually getting 45.7 mpg out of my 2016 F6B Deluxe. The new engine is 4 valves per cylinder and is square (bore = stroke). They say it will get about 20% better mpg.

Its throttle by wire, so it has the usual niceties that go with that. TPM is included.

The new Goldwing doesnt look too exciting to a Gen 4 FJR owner, but it must look like the promised land to a Goldwing Die Hard.

Better fuel mileage would be a real plus, above 80 mph and she drinks....a lot. As soon as I wear out my 08 I'll be wanting the new one but with only 86K on this one it may be a few years.

Meh. The backend looks boxy, compared to my '16 F6B. Some cool new features, but i bought mine brand new for $7K less than they are asking for the '18, and the new features aren't worth that, at least to me. My Feejer is my long range bike, and the B works well for local and medium rides, (in Central Texas, "medium" takes on a different meaning).

The range on my F6B is 280+ miles.

The new one is supposed to be 20% better in mpg, so range should be about the same with the smaller tank. At least based on the test programs.

My ST1100 would get up into the 325 range, but Ive never gotten more than 280ish on my FJRs.

These days it is hard for me to go more than 150 miles without a stop anyway ...the need to drain and refill the rider trumps the ability of the bike to keep going and going and going ...

My overnight rest on the idea of the new model is negative though. I remember trading a Rocket 3T and a K1300S for a K1600GTL in late 2011. I had traders remorse within a few days.

I traded a Rocket 3T and a ZX14R for the F6B and cash back to me. No regrets in the first three weeks. I miss the shear gut shock of the ZX14R, but I can get close on some other bikes here.

That 2018 reminds me an awful lot of out BMWing BMW. Honda techs have not had to deal with anything like it. There will be some bumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see whether there was anything published on horsepower. The big BMW (and the FJR) both beat the older Wing by a fair amount. I am afraid that with the upgraded 'Wing, the "new" Venture with the v-twin doesn't have much of a chance!

Copied from a BMWMOA post........
2018_Goldwing.jpg

New high tech Wishbone front suspension?
80 LBS lighter
20% better Fuel economy
New 7 Speed Automatic transmission option
All new 1833 cc flat 6 - 24 valve engine
4 selectable ride modes

Status
Not open for further replies.