New generation of tires Dunlop Sportmax Q3+ & Michelin Power RS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagmanhd1

Reaction score
Cycle World writer Kevin Cameron wrote an interesting article in the August 2017 edition about a new generation of tires using carbon fiber. They are made by Dunlop (Sportmax Q3+), and Michelin (Power RS). He writes the new generation of tires promise both longer wear and better grip. I'm on a 2015 AE and will be looking at a new set this winter.

I'm curious if:

1) If you read the article, what your reaction is, and

2) If anyone has any experience with these tires

Like most of you, I don't mind paying up if I'm getting a better product.

Any thoughts?

PS Heading to the MSTA Mail Pouch Fly By next weekend in Marietta OH. Hope to see you there!

Power%20RS-L.jpg

I have a set of Michelin Power RS tires that I plan on mounting up on the Hypermotard Saturday but I'm not sure they were intended for a heavy sport touring bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of Q3's now. Have like 2k on them so far. They are showing zero flat spotting so far. Super sticky, honestly I am very impressed with these. I'll report more after I wear these out........

I ran a set of Q3's. Traction and handling was great. Got 13,000 km's out of them and the cords were showing....

Unfortunately this tire is not a properly load rated for this bike...... and it shows in longevity. Otherwise I really liked the tire.

I ran a set of Q3's. Traction and handling was great. Got 13,000 km's out of them and the cords were showing....Unfortunately this tire is not a properly load rated for this bike...... and it shows in longevity. Otherwise I really liked the tire.
That's just over 8k miles. I've never gotten 8k out of a set of tires. Do you usually get more? Hell, if I got 8k miles out of a set of anything, I'd be happy!

Last edited by a moderator:
The mileage wasn't bad...... I don't generally worry about the mileage. It was the tire casing that worried me.....

I ran a set of Q3's. Traction and handling was great. Got 13,000 km's out of them and the cords were showing....

Unfortunately this tire is not a properly load rated for this bike...... and it shows in longevity. Otherwise I really liked the tire.
That's just over 8k miles. I've never gotten 8k out of a set of tires. Do you usually get more? Hell, if I got 8k miles out of a set of anything, I'd be happy!
Move to the flatlands of massachusettes and your tire mileage will greatly improve. Curvey roads are far and few between. Do we have a cost for the new tires?

I am still a PR2 kind of guy. I will keep running PR2's until I can't find them anymore.

Dave

I have Q3's on my SV650 track bike for track days and can run at 90% of race pace I used to run on slicks. I really like them for track days but have no idea how long they'd last as every day street tires.

I ran a set of Q3's. Traction and handling was great. Got 13,000 km's out of them and the cords were showing....Unfortunately this tire is not a properly load rated for this bike...... and it shows in longevity. Otherwise I really liked the tire.
I have been running Q3's , and got 2800 miles out of the rear before the cord was showing, I typically run 41 psi rear and 38 psi front. The Q3's have been great for my use in the twisties around Durango, CO. and if 2500-3000 miles is all I get, so be it. Maybe the Q3+ will be better (next set).

These are simply the next iteration of sport tires, not designed for bikes like the FJR.

I've used both the Dunlop Qualifier and the Michelin Power series on my FZ1s in the past, I prefer the Michelin but both were only good for around 3,000 miles. They're built for grip, not longevity.