Photobucket "fix" for Chrome and Vivaldi web browsers (and now Firefox!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Opinionated curmudgeon
Reaction score
The issue where photobucket has "blocked" access to photos posted on third-party websites unless you pay $400/year may be resolved through the use of an extension. It's called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix."

I do not know how long this will work, but I have been using it for the last month. Check it out for yourself!

Cheers!

Pete

Edit: I just found this fix for Firefox users

Last edited by a moderator:
Works great in Chrome! (at least for now)

Might be a good idea for people to use the opportunity to download/save trip reports or technical articles they want to keep before Photobucket finds a way to block the application extension. Or to edit their on-line contributions to put the photos on another hosting site. Much easier to do if you can simply copy the picture to the new hosting site and edit the address - you can now SEE the actual pictures to do the editing!!

Thank you

Edit: I am betting that a talented programmer could set up some sort of macro that could take a post, copy all of the photos to a (different) photo hosting site and replace the Photobucket URLs with the new ones.

Anybody out there with this sort of ability?

Edit again: This would be something for an individual to use on a post-by-post basis. Not something to be applied universally.

I also just leaned that ~original placed after the .jpg at the end of the link will make the photo be shown.

So, if the link was s52.photobucket/username/MyPic.jpg, you can change that to s52.photobucket/username/MyPic.jpg~original and everyone will be able to see the image.

Credit to "dojob" at ridgelineownersclub.com.

I like the macro idea best, but it requires a stable photo hosting site, AND a way to search out all the posts you have made to this forum and make the adjustment to each image URL - WITHOUT allowing this forum's flawed software to un-hide all the formatting hypertext for that post. I hate when that happens when I try to make a simple edit to my post.

Brodie

😡

I like the macro idea best, but it requires a stable photo hosting site, AND a way to search out all the posts you have made to this forum and make the adjustment to each image URL - WITHOUT allowing this forum's flawed software to un-hide all the formatting hypertext for that post. I hate when that happens when I try to make a simple edit to my post.
Brodie
It might be nice to universally apply it to everything but I think it would have to be up to each individual to manage it from their own accounts - can't imagine any hosting site would allow FJRFORUM.com to dump tens of thousands of images. Of course, this means it would only be "fixed" for those who bothered to repair their posts. Even to do it on a post-by-post basis without the need for user intervention for every single image would be fantastic. I am thinking about some of the ride reports on here with a hundred images. Very "doable" with the Photobucket Fix extension that HyperPete found but quite tedious. Go to the image, copy it, post it to the alternate hosting site, get new URL from that site, edit to replace the Photobucket URL with the new one and repeat for every image (and every post).

If the adding the "~original" to the end of all Photobucket URLs was expected to work in the long term, that would be great because that is something that could be applied to an entire database with nothing but a (fairly) simple find-and-replace. Even if not applied to the entire database, it would still be easy to go through any post you want to fix, go into edit mode and paste the required string after every .jpg. I think Photobucket will close that particular door fairly soon.

There is a little macro program I have been playing with at work. It's called Mini Mouse Macro and is found on Sourceforge.net as well as on their own website. It is a standalone 2 MB executable, no installation required. You might be able to set something up to do what you are saying with this cool little toy, but I think that it would be frustrating to do so. Still, have a go at it. It's a neat little tool.

I attempted to bulk download photos from Photobucket and it times out, does not complete, or fails for some entirely different reason most of the time. I am resigned to the fact that various posts of mine over the years just won't have their images anymore.

This fix / extension has existed since 2016 (I did not even know that Photobucket started their change that far back) so it's possible that they will not bother changing code to invalidate the extension. Either that, or hopefully the designer of the extension will fix Photobucket's changes each time it occurs!

This a neat "reprieve". Easier to fix your posts etc when you can see the pictures to see what pictures are broken.

Better to find the time to fix stuff now, I will be trying to do this. Not sure how long this reprieve will last.

I also just leaned that ~original placed after the .jpg at the end of the link will make the photo be shown.
So, if the link was s52.photobucket/username/MyPic.jpg, you can change that to s52.photobucket/username/MyPic.jpg~original and everyone will be able to see the image.

Credit to "dojob" at ridgelineownersclub.com.
I just tried it on this forum and it doesn't work here. For some completely unknown reason, this forum requires that a photo URL MUST end in .jpg. If it doesn't, you are informed that the extension cannot be used. The image shows up in the post preview but is not accepted for upload. xxx.jpg~original won't cut it here.

Edit: I also found that, for some reason, the Hotlink Fix doesn't work for ALL Photobucket links. For instance, the image in the first post in the following thread doesn't show.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/169819-four-fjrs-in-kegasga-quebec/

I managed to get it copied elsewhere and posted it via Flickr in the last post in that thread so the image still exists...

Edit again: Today, for some reason, the photo in the first post of the above thread is now showing. Don't understand why it took 12 hours when others were instantaneous.

I'm sure glad I don't try to post pictures. I just gave up my smart phone for a flip phone cause I couldn't outsmart it.
uhoh.gif
rolleyes.gif

I have just updated the first post with a link to a fix for Firefox users.

Sorry, no luck finding a fix for Internet Explorer or Edge.

I'm curious about why this site ( and some others) needs to use importing of images from a site like Photobucket (or whatever).

It seems more convoluted than needs be to sign up to be a member, upload to the site then figure out what link will work to get your image to be visible on this site.

On another site I visit, when you want to post an image, you click on "add image to post" and a simple selection of an image from your own computer gets the job done.

Just like adding any other attachment . Simple and effective.

It uses a 3rd party service called Postimage.

Could the admins shed some light on this?

My guess is that the site owner does not have the storage space to store everyone's photos. However, if you would like to purchase a SAN for the site and pay to integrate it, I imagine that they would accept your donation! ;)

BTW, I only know of one site that permits you to upload photos for your posts.

I'm sure that storage is an issue, but here are two more: (1) ownership of an image loaded onto the communal website, and (2) potential virus infection from uploaded files.

I'm no IT guy, but I'll bet there are a half-dozen more issues.