Helibar Bridge Install Help Needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
Please check back because I'm sure I"ll have lots of questions as I go through this. Already lost on step one.

1. Where do you cut the loom? Cut away as much as you can? I see the wire on the left side, But looks like two wires on the right side. Instructions aren't clear and it looks like only one wire on the right side. Am I getting rid of anything steel wire in that area? Do you worry about pointy wire stubs left behind?

2. I have the ram ball that goes on the two forward gas tank bolts. Will this need to be removed?

Stuff like this is certainly not my thing. May be over my head.

Thanks for any help.

Don.

Just cut the "wire" wherever you can. It is very tough and will require some effort. Bend it out of the way enough to allow you to work the wires out of it. You are going to be removing that entire plate with the wire loom, it will no longer be needed. So no, don't worry about "pointy stubs".

I kept mine just in case I ever want to go back... Or if I want to swap back for a new FJR.

Yeah. You have to remove the ram ball mount. That was the biggest reason I held out and went with the riser blocks first. My WynPro GPS mount was and is very special to me.

You can add the ram ball to the HeliBar plate and it will work almost as well.

You will need a friend when you put the triple clamp back and also when you are bolting the handlebars back on. The friend does not need to be very smart or even very strong. The friend will move the front wheel back and forth to aid in re-aligning the triple clamp. He/She will also just hold the handlebar you are not working on for a couple of minutes until you get around to that side.

This job takes a little while but it is not really technically challenging. Good Luck.

Red guided me, albeit reluctantly, on a similar forum when I installed mine. I'd go heli again at twice the price, and I'd damn sure follow advice from that guy.

I have had much time to regret acting like an asshole on this forum. I have resolved to do better. I always regret the things I cannot untype and cannot unsay.

Back on topic, I have installed the HeliBar Bridge three times now. Pop's '07, his '14 and now my '15ES. I am by no means an expert but I can remember a few things.

Pop says that is the single best modification I made to both of his FJRs. He says it makes it possible for him to ride all day and not hurt. That pain seems to be cumulative, the longer the trip the more it hurts.

You ain't never been anything but a good guy to me (buck tooth inflection Intended). Your guidance on heli install was valuable to me. Respectfully offered recommendation- keep being you. Folks of that sort are needed more than ever.