Throttle tube from an FZ1? yep, works great!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky80

Reaction score
As most guys with an '06 FJR I didn't like the strange throttle feel. It appears that the throttle cam is a bit oval and gives a strange feedback to the rider.

Switched the throttle tube from my FZ1 over to an R6 tube as its a 1/6th turn to WOT, so had the FZ1 tube laying around. Installed it on the FJR and immediately liked it better. The tube on the FZ is bout 1/2" shorter, but luckily i had a spare ninja 250 tube laying around. 2 minutes with a pipe cutter and had a little 1/2" extension made.

Killed two birds with one stone here... couldn't be happier. I could go WOT on the FJR a little bit faster now, but have NEVER done that before. Something to consider...

What years FZ1 tube works best? Is there a difference between the Gen I and Gen II FZ1 throttle tubes?

How does the R6 throttle tube compare to the FZ1 throttle tube as far as rotation?

I'm looking for a quick turn throttle tube for my FJR, but would rather not spend the $70+ for a G2, with potentially questionable results. I'm looking for a tube that will let me go from idle to WOT in one motion without repositioning my wrist.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

The 2006-current R6 has a 1/6th turn ratio and one of the shortest idle to WOT of most bikes and a popular mod for FZ owners. I believe the cam on the R6 is about 42 mm where the FJR is about 37mm. Like I said though, the FZ or R6 throttle tube is 1/2" shorter than the FJR so some ingenuity is needed to make it long enough

Thanks for the info. I'll grab a 2017 R6 throttle tube and put this on my FJR.