Mystery Noise from my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SilverStreak

Question for Forum Riders:

I have this mystery noise coming from my 2006 FJR1300AE for a long time.

The bike runs perfectly, all the time.

Maybe it's not a real problem at all.

It happens only when moving. I thought it was my keys jingling around the ignition, so I finally removed all the keys except, of course, the ignition key. Changed out the factory shield to a GIVI. No change. Is it wind noise? Or, is it mechanical noise? I can hear the noise inside my Nolan helmet. The camcorder picks up the sound from a built-in microphone where it is mounted behind the windshield.

Who can figure it out?

See and hear it on this YouTube Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESG9BrMAXeo

ricardo_002.jpg

Last edited:
Ditto. Commonly described by Gen II owners. See here, here, and probably elsewhere if you put +windshield +whistle in the Search. I think there are suggestions for fixes as well.

First time I've heard it myself. That's pretty significant...I wonder if keeps the deer away ;)

If one of the fixes works....it would probably impress the board to do a post-fix video as a comparison. Probably then become a great Bin-O-Facts item!

Last edited by a moderator:
when is the last time you lubricated your muffler bearing ?

did you use the Yamaha aproved unobtainiumdisulfide grease ?

sorry couldn't resist

might try earplugs

Last edited by a moderator:
Silverstreak,

I have the same noise on my bike. Generally shows up after 35MPH. It did not do it until after I had the speedo changed. (AVE MPG issue). I thought it was from the dealer not putting installing a screw in the windshield (I was missing the bottom center screw when I got the bike back). I'm not sure if the sound emanates from the holes in the "W" bracket or from the center air dam. I saw what had to be done when changing the speedo - most of the front plastic had to be removed from the bike. I keep thinking that something just didn't get snapped into place correctly. My plan is to take the front apart and put it back together. By the way I just replaced the front windshield with a GIVI this week. The sound is still there but not as loud.

Dave